+1

I'd almost be inclined to believe that the wifi chip may still be there (dormant). Apple did that with the bluetooth, on the ipod touch, activating it on their last software update.

Doubt VZW would be so kind, but you never know...
    Well hopefully someone will take apart their Tour next week and we'll find out for sure.
    07-10-09 10:09 AM
    The wifi chip is not in the Storm nor the Tour.
    07-10-09 10:11 AM
    Its really just going to the be the tour, with wi-fi added? the tour will already be a year old and be re-released? anyway, im going to upgrade now and hope that another one doesnt come out before 12 months are up, so i can use my S|P 12 month discount on the new one, if its going to be that much better.
    07-10-09 10:13 AM
    Well I'd like Wifi, but it definately not a priority for me. I will get the Tour now and with my reup in December I will get whatever new top of the line device comes out early next year.
    07-10-09 10:15 AM
    Although I like the option of WiFi, and wish I could wait, I really want to get a BB and the Tour will be it. I also doubt that they will call it the Tour 2. and I am still up in the air about the Storm 2 sticking with that name, after the bad press from the first. I am 50/50 that the Storm will change it's name with the next itteration as well as the "Tour w/ WiFi". And if they added a trackpad, that could even be BETTER lol.
    07-10-09 10:21 AM
    From reading the article, it seems like Sprint's plan was to release this device with WiFi the whole time. It's almost like they decided to push out the non-wifi version to stay competitive with VZW (and At&t and T-Mobile). I don't blame them, they have been the only carrier without a next gen BB in their lineup for a while.
    07-10-09 10:49 AM
    Although I like the option of WiFi, and wish I could wait, I really want to get a BB and the Tour will be it. I also doubt that they will call it the Tour 2. and I am still up in the air about the Storm 2 sticking with that name, after the bad press from the first. I am 50/50 that the Storm will change it's name with the next itteration as well as the "Tour w/ WiFi". And if they added a trackpad, that could even be BETTER lol.
    Trackpad would be nice on the tour with wifi. They will probably include it if it is a hit on the gemini and onyx. Come to think of it, I wonder if the Tour with wifi would take on the onyx design and the 9030 model number. I like the tour's design better, but if it's a CDMA full qwerty BB with all of the tour's features plus wifi, who cares what it looks like...
    Last edited by codemaker; 07-10-09 at 10:53 AM.
    07-10-09 10:50 AM
    Soon we will have people complaining that the tour with wifi is the "same old blackberry because RIM came out with the onyx and tour last year." LOL. I can't wait...
    07-10-09 10:51 AM
    I'm getting a Tour now and then upgrading to the Pre in January. Either that, or I skip out on VZW altogether and just get the myTouch 3G once T-Mobile rolls out 3G for my area.

I'm not sure if I'll love the BB OS.
    07-10-09 10:58 AM
    How are you guys able to upgrade within a year after buying a new phone? Are you paying full price now?
    07-10-09 10:58 AM
    hmm Im beginning to think Sprint - Rim kissed and made up.
    Palms a little upset im sure
    Last edited by Slingbox; 07-10-09 at 11:06 AM.
    07-10-09 11:01 AM
    I'm getting a Tour now and then upgrading to the Pre in January. Either that, or I skip out on VZW altogether and just get the myTouch 3G once T-Mobile rolls out 3G for my area.

I'm not sure if I'll love the BB OS.
    I've had the chance to play with one couple of days ago, and I was actually impressed. It caught me off guard, actually. HTC G2 Touch is still better though, and if xda-developers/ppcgeeks find a way to bring Android Sense UI to a Touch Pro 2, that wins. Pre has a lot of work to do but it's not bad for a 1.0 All it needs is a major update.

@Sling: It had nothing to do with RIM.
    07-10-09 11:02 AM
    I think it was a good move on Sprints part. Even though news of them releasing the phone down the road with wifi is making some people mad and might hurt Tour sells when it releases, they are trying to stay somewhat competative.

If they waited 6+ months after VZW to release the Tour with wifi, Sprint customers would have STILL been complaining about them not having a new BB since the Curve. At least with them releasing side by side with VZW makes them seem up to par on the phone release. So either way, Sprint was going to catch he*l over it. I would rather them release the phone now and give people the option to wait for wifi or not rather than forcing everyone to wait when some people could care less about wifi
    The only problem would be those not aware of the wi-fi version who may want it, but instead buy the one next week.
    07-10-09 11:26 AM
    It would be a stupid move to re-release the phone with wifi at a separate time. That would do nothing but **** a lot of customers off (although that is something Sprint has had great skill at in the past).
    It's not a stupid move, consider.. many dont care for wifi and are ready for a new phone now. The Sprint guy said as much.. they didnt want to be late to market. THAT market (those that dont care for wifi).

And how can customers be pissed off when they HAVE THE INFO beforehand? I think it was smart for Sprint to make sure it's customer base new this was coming beforehand so people can make educated decisions with their money/purchase!!

Once the decision was made to release a wifi Tour.. this truly was the only right choice.. inform now and give the consumer the best info possible.

I'm glad this annoucement came.. it's good for consumers!
    07-10-09 11:29 AM
    The only problem would be those not aware of the wi-fi version who may want it, but instead buy the one next week.
    8330'E" =No MMS
    8 months later,
    8330"M" =MMS

Sprint didn't get to much backlash
    07-10-09 11:34 AM
    How are you guys able to upgrade within a year after buying a new phone? Are you paying full price now?
    sign a one year contract
    07-10-09 11:37 AM
    sign a one year contract
    I don't mean after a year, I mean inside a year. Someone mentioned buying the Tour now and then upgrading in Dec or Jan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 12:11 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD