Posted on Engadget:

Sprint mandating WiFi on future smartphones, WLAN-lovin' BlackBerry Tour coming next year

Wonder if Verizon is going to follow suit?????
    07-09-09 07:34 PM
    Bout time. I wonder if they will add a "phone-via-WiFi" option once they do this.
    07-09-09 07:40 PM
    same with verizon, any blackberry after the tour will have wifi
    07-09-09 07:52 PM
    same with verizon, any blackberry after the tour will have wifi
    We, or at least I, know that the Tour is the last BB on verizon to be without WiFi, but I gathered from this article is that they are releasing the TOUR with WiFi next year...
    07-09-09 09:13 PM
    We, or at least I, know that the Tour is the last BB on verizon to be without WiFi, but I gathered from this article is that they are releasing the TOUR with WiFi next year...
    doubt it very highly that they will release the tour again with wifi..very unlikly
    07-09-09 09:21 PM
    doubt it very highly that they will release the tour again with wifi..very unlikly
    I agree. They will change the name or something.
    07-09-09 11:01 PM
    Isn't the wifi Tour the Atlas??
    Yes it is, many threads started on this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 11:20 PM
    Yes it is, many threads started on this.

So what ever happened the the talk about it? Is it going to happen or not? I guess the most important things we need to find out is when it may be released and will it be on verizon or just sprint. Those are the 2 things I need to know because as much as I would love to get the tour now, my contract isn't up until December so if it is released before then everything would work out.
    07-09-09 11:29 PM
    07-10-09 07:37 AM
    Sprint is quoted as "after the first of the year".. for the wifi version..

Now, take you antacid pills and follow my 3 cup of coffee logic..

IF its still the Tour

and

VZ has stated "All BB after the Tour will have Wifi"..

then

????

lol, just messing with every1 brain this morning
    07-10-09 07:45 AM
    Geez, now the question is, wait for it or not??
    07-10-09 08:22 AM
    I wonder if this means the 8530 that Sprint has in testing to replace the Curve will have WIFI, before the replacement for the Tour even comes.

07-10-09 08:25 AM
    I wonder if this means the 8530 that Sprint has in testing to replace the Curve will have WIFI, before the replacement for the Tour even comes.

Do you have any links or info about an 8530?

Edit: Why wouldn't it be an 8930?
    07-10-09 08:26 AM
    Well that seals the deal for me. I am waiting for the wifi version. This totally sucks.

It's great to finally get confirmation of a Tour with wifi (assuming this PR rep knows what he is talking about), and great that sprint is mandating wifi in the future, but it sucks that the tour is here now and I have to wait for the wifi version perhaps another 6 months to a year...

I am not comfortable with taking the risk of buying the current tour, wasting my upgrade, and not being able to get the version with wifi when it comes out.
    07-10-09 08:47 AM
    Well that seals the deal for me. I am waiting for the wifi version. This totally sucks.

It's great to finally get confirmation of a Tour with wifi (assuming this PR rep knows what he is talking about), and great that sprint is mandating wifi in the future, but it sucks that the tour is here now and I have to wait for the wifi version perhaps another 6 months to a year...

I am not comfortable with taking the risk of buying the current tour, wasting my upgrade, and not being able to get the version with wifi when it comes out.
    The Tour will never have wifi. if anything another blackberry will come out with wifi, but not the tour
    07-10-09 08:49 AM
    The Tour will never have wifi. if anything another blackberry will come out with wifi, but not the tour
    Where are your sources for this? Sprint's marketing guy just said "Tour with WiFi". He could be mistaken and he could just be referring to a qwerty BB with wifi. Either way, as long as it is a device like the tour/onyx and it has wifi, i'm good to go.
    07-10-09 08:59 AM
    Where are your sources for this? Sprint's marketing guy just said "Tour with WiFi". He could be mistaken and he could just be referring to a qwerty BB with wifi. Either way, as long as it is a device like the tour/onyx and it has wifi, i'm good to go.
    yeah i doubt it will be the Tour with wifi, that would be like verizon sending out first gen storms with wifi right now.. its just not going to happen. Blackberry atlas is suppose to be the blackberry that comes close to the tour, and that will have wifi sometime next year when it comes out
    07-10-09 09:03 AM
    Unless RIM gives it a different name, another Tour is coming with wifi. When I first tested the phone, it had wifi included. Final released Tour didn't. Anyway, this statement verifies what couple of people been saying from the get go that Sprint and Verizon will release BlackBerries with wifi. Great news.
    07-10-09 09:07 AM
    Well, we already know that the early versions of the phone had wifi on them already. Maybe they are releasing the Tour with wifi built in, but no software support and the software support will come at the beginning of next year.

It would be a stupid move to re-release the phone with wifi at a separate time. That would do nothing but **** a lot of customers off (although that is something Sprint has had great skill at in the past).
    07-10-09 09:11 AM
    Well, we already know that the early versions of the phone had wifi on them already. Maybe they are releasing the Tour with wifi built in, but no software support and the software support will come at the beginning of next year.

It would be a stupid move to re-release the phone with wifi at a separate time. That would do nothing but **** a lot of customers off (although that is something Sprint has had great skill at in the past).
    Don't this happen all the time? 9630 comes out, only for 9620 to have wifi? If Sprint comes out with a wifi enabled Tour, Verizon will probably follow suit. That's the nature both of them have right now.
    07-10-09 09:14 AM
    Don't this happen all the time? 9630 comes out, only for 9620 to have wifi? If Sprint comes out with a wifi enabled Tour, Verizon will probably follow suit. That's the nature both of them have right now.
    Isn't the "20" suffix in the series number meant to represent a GSM model? I doubt a new Tour model would be called the 9620.
    07-10-09 09:17 AM
    Isn't the "20" suffix in the series number meant to represent a GSM model? I doubt a new Tour model would be called the 9620.
    Correct as I'm not saying it's going to come out on CDMA as "20". Same way two different Curves comes out, no wifi and wifi enabled, two different Tours isn't a big deal. One will justify the means, like camera version or no camera version. This shouldn't hinder people decisions because 9630 is still a great phone regardless.
    07-10-09 09:22 AM
    You're right it does happen. It usually doesn't happen on the same carrier and the same device though.

If you remember The 8320 was created for T-Mobile specifically. They wanted it because of their hotspot@home program that allows customers to basically use voip. None of the other carriers adopted the 8320 until much later when At&t added it (I'm talking about the US here).
    07-10-09 09:26 AM
    You're right it does happen. It usually doesn't happen on the same carrier and the same device though.

If you remember The 8320 was created for T-Mobile specifically. They wanted it because of their hotspot@home program that allows customers to basically use voip. None of the other carriers adopted the 8320 until much later when At&t added it (I'm talking about the US here).

Different codename (not saying what it is) and some upgraded specs. Not too much to make you second guess your purchase. People knew by now that CDMA BB's after the Tour will included wifi, with Storm 2 being the first. Personally, don't be shocked if you see another Tour with wifi in the wild. People will be mad at first, but knowing Crackberry owners, that wouldn't stop them from upgrading regardless.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 07-10-09 at 09:34 AM.
    07-10-09 09:31 AM

+1

I'd almost be inclined to believe that the wifi chip may still be there (dormant). Apple did that with the bluetooth, on the ipod touch, activating it on their last software update.

Doubt VZW would be so kind, but you never know...
    07-10-09 10:03 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD