Hi all... I know many hate to comment on these threads, but I don't know who/where else to ask. I will try to just cut to the question.

I currently have a Bold 9000 - LOVE it (easy to use, type), but the camera is horrible, and I take a lot of pics. Also, trackball freezing...what's new!? I know I would like the 9780 because I already love the 9000.

I have been tempted to try out the 9800 because of screen size. I don't mind my 9000 screen size, mind you, but the extra size is tempting.

I use predominantly for:
    - messaging (bbm, sms, mms) and email - I do a LOT of texting/email and am very fast on my 9000 keyboard...I don't want to slow down!
    - browsing/apps - score mobile, sportsnet, weather network, ESPN, etc.

I would think advantage for text/email goes to 9780 given my experience with the 9000 keyboard. Advantage for browsing/apps as well as OS6 goes to Torch. Is this fair?

I can pick up new 9780 for $50 or 9800 for $100, both BNIB. So, extra $50 for Torch.

Sorry if this is redundant, but never having used a Torch (trying in store for 5 minutes is not the same as day to day use) I just dont' want to waste my money.

Thanks to everyone...

Mike
    05-18-11 10:10 AM
    Well, I can only speak for the 9800. When I bought mine I was taken in by the hype. The screen is nice, large, and able to watch movies rather nicely. I was able to easily BT pair with my VM-605. My battery life seems to be in excess of 48 hours with emails and browsing and the occasional SMS.

As for the keyboard, the 9000 has a larger footprint to say the least, the 9800 if you have large fingers, or thumbs, can pose a problem. I know it is hard for me at least to press anf hold ALT and numbers because of this.

I also find that if I lock the device, it will become unlocked very easily just by sliding the screen slightly. That may or may not be an issue with yourself, but this is the reason I keep mine holstered when not in use.

The media player works very well for me, but then again I use it very little, just when I go for my walks.

BBM, what can I say. Large screen, more conversation displayed, very nice for me.

I can not speak for the Apps you mentioned, I don't use any of those. But browsing to regular sites is fast.

The Camera, 5MP, clear. I'll try and insert an image of my picture taken.

Looks like I can attach 1 photo because of the size.

Hope this helps.
    lordkovacs likes this.
    05-18-11 10:28 AM
    The touchscreen on the Torch is really nice. I have no problem with the keyboard, and I am not a small person. Since this is my first BB, I find the Torch meets all my messaging and surfing needs. I have tried the Bold, and even considered it for a while, but have always wanted a touch screen AND a keyboard.

It really depends on what you like and if you can adjust to the different keyboard on the Torch.
    05-18-11 10:33 AM
    This late in the game, I'd wait for the 9900. It is the same form factor as your 9000 and the specs blow all devices in market out of the water.
    05-18-11 10:36 AM
    hey...I was actually thinking of waiting for 9900, but I'm worried the price point will be too high. At only $50 BNIB, the 9780 is attractive. If I were at the end of my term with Rogers I could wait for the 9900 and then sign for 3 years, but I am way too far away.
    05-18-11 12:08 PM
    I switched from 9000 to 9780 and am very happy. I also do a lot of texting which is why I really appreciate the keyboard. The camera is good to, compared to the 9000. And the Browser with Tabbed Browsing is very good.
    Overall I am very happy with the 9780 and can only recommend it.
    05-19-11 01:03 AM
    This late in the game, I'd wait for the 9900. It is the same form factor as your 9000 and the specs blow all devices in market out of the water.
    i agree with you!
    the 9900 looks exactly as the 9000.but has more features than the 9000,
    here is a post i found about the comparison between the 9900 and 9000

opps,..i was intend to put the exact link for you guys... but i have no right to do like that!

search "An interesting "FFC" Hole on the digitizer: Can BB 9900 Be Molded To Install the FFC? on google or on forum.xda-developers
    lordkovacs likes this.
    05-19-11 02:01 AM
    I can speak for a little of both, since I have the 9800 and my boyfriend has the 9780.
    The bigger screen is nicer especially when I am reading the news, I find going from my Torch screen to the bold is a big jump.
    I also find texting just as easy on my Torch as with the Bold, if I'm typing a short message I can just use the touch screen, but if it is long I can use my Qwerty.
    Emails are the same.
    The Apps you mentions all work and look very nice on the Torch, a lot bigger than the 9780, may I suggest AccuWeather rather than weather network a lot more accurate I find.

The keyboards on the 9800 and 9780 I find are really similiar but the Torch a lot easier to hold and use the keyboard .

That is just my two cents on the subject I hoped it helped a little bit.
    lordkovacs likes this.
    05-19-11 05:58 AM
    Thanks! It did. as my apps (Score, ESPN, TSN, Weathereye, facebook and twitter) as well as text/email account for the vast majority of my usage, it was good to hear your side. If you don't mind me asking, Justine, does your husband find the same? Does he use those apps?
    Thanks!
    05-19-11 08:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD