I got my Berry about a month ago. Love it! I have noticed, however, that I am getting about three times as much spam on my PC as I used to. Is this because of the Berry or just a coincidence. If it is because of the Berry, is there a way to stop it? I don't mind a little spam but it seems like it is getting worse.
    08-11-08 07:57 PM
    you know i have noticed the same exact thing. my junk email folder has tripled in size, idk if its because of my berry or what i just figured somehow my email got out there hmmmmmmmm....
    08-11-08 07:59 PM
    It's probably a coincidence. On the flip side, I've gotten far less spam since I got my Berry.
    08-11-08 08:21 PM
    Well with me spam stayed the same with my gmail, but sometimes when I wake up I am flooded with about 10 emails of spam. Its like junk mail folder over flowed. But lately my att.blackberry.net has been getting spam. I don't know how that happened. If it gets worse I may have to change it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 08:29 PM
    Is your spammed email address available anywhere on the web? I mean, as a mailto: or a text based one?

Spammers use things called webcrawlers which look for email addresses all over the web. For example, they'll crawl for @hotmail.co.uk, and then copy the entire address before adding it to a mailing list. So if your berry is getting lots of spam, perhaps you've posted your berry address somewhere on the web and you're getting spammed through a crawler?

If so, immediately remove it, or replace it with something like

example [at] removemehotmail dawt co dawt uk.

Now the crawlers are clever, so example [at] hotmail [dot] co [dot] uk would still be caught.. so you've got to be as random as possible.
    08-11-08 09:35 PM
    the spam that I am getting only goes to my bulk email on my PC. Fortunately, it does not get delivered to my Berry.
    08-11-08 09:51 PM
    Spam is up globally.

I think it follows the economy - the dollar slumped and is now starting to recover, so spam scams are a little more worth trying to pull off.
    08-12-08 07:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD