Hi everyone . I'm from Malaysia and I'm currently using blackberry 9700 ( bold ) and I'll be going to Korea next week /: Is there any way I can use my phone there ? Maybe I could get a sim there ? Or is there any way ? And preferably if it doesn't cost too much
    01-16-12 12:54 AM
    My experience with Korea is that they are largely on CDMA network. Since your 9700 is a GSM phone there is very little chance that it will work. My service provider activated roaming for Korea but they told me that I will need to bring in a CDMA phone to them so that they could program it for me to use in Korea.

Kind of difficult for a GSM subscriber to roam in Korea.
    01-16-12 02:45 AM
    Hi everyone . I'm from Malaysia and I'm currently using blackberry 9700 ( bold ) and I'll be going to Korea next week /: Is there any way I can use my phone there ? Maybe I could get a sim there ? Or is there any way ? And preferably if it doesn't cost too much
    Your 9700 WILL work in Korea.

if you are simply roaming then your phone will roam with either SK or KT (most likely SK). You will get 3G coverage anytime everywhere, including way deep underground when taking the subway.

If you want to get a local Korean line then you may not be as lucky as you will need a foreigner's ID number to get service.

BTW CDMA networks are virtually dead and its frequencies have been reacquired for LTE.
    01-16-12 03:50 AM
    My experience with Korea is that they are largely on CDMA network. Since your 9700 is a GSM phone there is very little chance that it will work. My service provider activated roaming for Korea but they told me that I will need to bring in a CDMA phone to them so that they could program it for me to use in Korea.

Kind of difficult for a GSM subscriber to roam in Korea.
    you obviously have not been in Korea recently as CDMA networks are almost dead and its frequencies being reacquired for LTE.
    01-16-12 03:51 AM
    you obviously have not been in Korea recently as CDMA networks are almost dead and its frequencies being reacquired for LTE.
    That's true. I was there almost 5 years ago. Things have obviously changed.
    01-16-12 04:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD