All I want to know is this:

Why on earth is it I can make a call to SOS (Police, etc) when I have NO service on my BlackBerry (or any mobile for that matter), yet I can't just dial a normal phone number?

Come on, I know we have smart people here...
    05-25-07 02:28 PM
    When you say 'no service' do you mean 'no signal'?

I know when I have the big red X in the top right corner, I'm not calling anyone. However, when it says SOS up there, all I can do is make emergency calls.
    05-25-07 02:31 PM
    I meant the red x, or if it shows SOS. But, I was under the impression if it said SOS you couldn't make a call by dialling a number, right?

So, my question is, if my device has no service (red x, SOS, no bars) I shouldn't be able to call anyone, period. Now, if you saying I can still call SOS (Police, etc) then why on earth can't I just dial 'joe bloggs' down the road, too?
    05-25-07 02:41 PM
    With the red x you should get nothing, but the SOS is telling you that your carrier signal is gone, but it is picking up another carrier and they will allow (per law) you to make 911 calls only on their network.
    05-25-07 02:43 PM
    Ah - clear as mud now! So, why can't we all just get along? I know there is a thing called, Roaming. But if that's the case ALL carriers should allow 'cross' service, free. Thus giving us customers more options to make calls, no matter where we are...
    05-25-07 02:46 PM
    Now if they did that why would we ever switch carriers??? It's all about the benjamins.
    05-25-07 02:53 PM
    Ah - clear as mud now! So, why can't we all just get along? I know there is a thing called, Roaming. But if that's the case ALL carriers should allow 'cross' service, free. Thus giving us customers more options to make calls, no matter where we are...
    Cingular is more than happy to let you used your T-Mobile phone to roam on their network for free. Of course, once Cingular slaps T-Mo with a bill in your name, T-Mo lets you foot the bill! =)
    05-26-07 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD