This is from channel of a BlackBerry rep:

Z30 only feature...

Sorry to break it for you folks, but USB host feature won't be available on Z10 or Q10 (Official)-img_20131761.png
    Sorry to break it for you folks, but USB host feature won't be available on Z10 or Q10 (Official)-img_20131760_edit.png
    09-20-13 01:23 AM
    Is that even a surprise, really? I assumed it was never going to be on the Z10, Q10 or Q5 long ago as it wasn't in place early on, especially since it never arrived on the PlayBook in a user accessible way either.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-20-13 01:26 AM
    Yeah... Pretty much figured that
    09-20-13 01:28 AM
    Sucks, but expected. If BlackBerry can shift the focus to new hardware that supports this feature and others (Wifi-Direct, Miracast, etc.), they can avoid most of the backlash they'll inevitably receive.

I'm a Z10 owner but RFA and cloud storage take care of pretty much all my needs, and in not exactly waiting to attach other USB devices to my phone.

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    09-20-13 01:28 AM
    Yes but I for example hoped it to come at least on Z10 and q10 as they are not even a year old devices.

Iphone5 is a year old device and it will get Air Drop. Why? Because apple knows how to anticipate. BlackBerry on the other hand...
    abhi7848, Thesmartmale and kbz1960 like this.
    09-20-13 01:30 AM
    Yes but I for example hoped it to come at least on Z10 and q10 as they are not even a year old devices.

Iphone5 is a year old device and it will get Air Drop. Why? Because apple knows how to anticipate. BlackBerry on the other hand...
    Airdrop is not much of a hardware feature

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 01:32 AM
    Airdrop is not much of a hardware feature

Posted via CB10
    It is...
    09-20-13 01:33 AM

Then go get in line for a 5s. You still won't have USB OTG lol.
    09-20-13 01:33 AM
    Then go get in line for a 5s. You still won't have USB OTG lol.
    Lol who needs this or nfc when you have air drop. I have this feature on my Macbook, God it's fast and convenient.

Would love to see something like that on Z10, isn't it possible to make this feature using wifi direct?
    09-20-13 01:36 AM
    Lol who needs this or nfc when you have air drop. I have this feature on my Macbook, God it's fast and convenient.

Would love to see something like that on Z10, isn't it possible to make this feature using wifi direct?
    Why even bother, are you not aware of remote access? I can drop files from any of the BB10 devices right onto my Mac or PC desktop.. can even do it over the carrier network if I want to. You've successfully taken the topic of USB OTG and turned it into a conversation about AirDrop which, while cool for iOS users, is pretty freaking redundant when making the comparison to BB10 because remote access is equivalent/similar.

Back on topic.. Sure, USB OTG is cool but realistically it's not available on iOS, it's not available on Windows Phone and it's only available on some Android devices. Should just be happy BlackBerry is ACTUALLY putting it on the Z30.
    09-20-13 01:38 AM
    Why even bother, are you not aware of remote access? I can drop files from any of the BB10 devices right onto my Mac or PC desktop.. can even do it over the carrier network if I want to.
    I swear to god blaze I was trying to configure this feature for months now, reinstalled the damn thing +100 times, tried to reconfigure it, cleaned all files and helpers with clean my mac 2. Still not working, don't tell me you're surprised you use OSX too you know how sh1tty link is on osx. It was working at the beginning and then one day it just broke and not for the first time. But it's sure is a convieniet as fuc k feature, It just needs to work 100% of time not 30% of time
    09-20-13 01:42 AM
    I swear to god blaze I was trying to configure this feature for months now, reinstalled the damn this +100 times, tried to reconfigure it, cleaned all files and helpers with clean my mac 2. Still not working, don't tell me you're surprised you use OSX too you know how sh1tty link is on osx. It was working at the beginning and then one day it just broke and not for the first time.
    No, you're right and I agree 110%.. Link is dreadful but uhh... Link doesn't even need to be open for Remote Access to work. All you need to do is install it, sign into BBID, allow your device and that's it. Of course, if you have other variables like routers, Extreme Ports etc to account for you'll need to adjust for those but again, as long as the basics are taken care of and your Mac is on, Link doesn't even need to be open for remote to work. Heck, I'm in Arizona right now looking at my spare Mac desktop at home in Canada and I haven't been home in weeks.
    00stryder likes this.
    09-20-13 01:50 AM
    It is a bit of a surprise to me, honestly. While not a "must have", it's a "nice to have" that I'll never have.

Remote access never works for me and there's no network browser built into BB10. Mobile computing my foot. The only saving grace is the micro SD slot.
    avatsaev likes this.
    09-20-13 01:51 AM
    No link is dreadful but uhh... Link doesn't even need to be open for Remote Access to work. All you need to do is install it, sign into BBID, allow your device and that's it. Of course, if you have other variables like routers, Extreme Ports etc to account for you'll need to adjust for those but again, as long as the basics are taken care of and your Mac is on, Link doesn't even need to be open for remote to work. Heck, I'm in Arizona right now looking at my spare Mac desktop at home in Canada and I haven't been home in weeks.
    I know, it was working fine before, now I get this:

And when I want to activate wireless access I get this:

thanks obama
    09-20-13 01:57 AM
    I just hope they don't go further along that route cause it wouldn't be nice if we see for example BlackBerry 11 next year making It's way to new phones but not to a year old Z10 or Q10

Posted via CB10
    ssbtech likes this.
    09-20-13 01:58 AM
    ^^^ everything is "nice to have" sh1t I wish I had several houses and several cars. if you live your life that way, you will never appreciate the "things you have".

nothing against your post, just saying.
    seemsixty7 and Thesmartmale like this.
    09-20-13 02:00 AM
    No, you're right and I agree 110%.. Link is dreadful but uhh... Link doesn't even need to be open for Remote Access to work. All you need to do is install it, sign into BBID, allow your device and that's it. Of course, if you have other variables like routers, Extreme Ports etc to account for you'll need to adjust for those but again, as long as the basics are taken care of and your Mac is on, Link doesn't even need to be open for remote to work.
    If only that were true.. For some reason whenever I try setting RFA up it says my BlackBerry ID isn't linked to any BlackBerry 10 device. I've tried talking to BlackBerry and they don't know what's wrong either. Told me to call my carrier which I did and they just said they don't know what I was even talking about x_x

I'm gonna keep trying to find a way for it to work though... not that I absolutely need it since Box gave me 50GB for free when I got my PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 02:01 AM
    If only that were true.. For some reason whenever I try setting RFA up it says my BlackBerry ID isn't linked to any BlackBerry 10 device. I've tried talking to BlackBerry and they don't know what's wrong either. Told me to call my carrier which I did and they just said they don't know what I was even talking about x_x

I'm gonna keep trying to find a way for it to work though... not that I absolutely need it since Box gave me 50GB for free when I got my PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    See, I'm not the only one with this issue, this needs to be addressed to Link dev team, get your sh1t together already
    09-20-13 02:03 AM
    Hmm. Not sure what any of this means.
    09-20-13 02:07 AM
    RFA worked a couple of times for me but my phone just shows my desktop as "offline". Both signed into BBID, phone on WiFi, doesn't matter. Desktop is always offline.
    avatsaev likes this.
    09-20-13 02:08 AM
    RFA worked a couple of times for me but my phone just shows my desktop as "offline". Both signed into BBID, phone on WiFi, doesn't matter. Desktop is always offline.
    It never works when you expect it to work
    09-20-13 02:14 AM
    See, I'm not the only one with this issue, this needs to be addressed to Link dev team, get your sh1t together already
    There a few forums posts on this if you search remote access. For example mine was not working due to McAfee. I then adjusted the firewall and now no more issues...
    09-20-13 04:18 AM
    After not having Miracast, this is the next big let down as an early adopter.
    It gets harder and harder to not get upset about BlackBerry.

Just so I understand the reason:
    Is it planned obsolescence or is there an actual reason for that?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-20-13 05:01 AM
    There a few forums posts on this if you search remote access. For example mine was not working due to McAfee. I then adjusted the firewall and now no more issues...
    I'm on osx
    09-20-13 05:06 AM
    After not having Miracast, this is the next big let down as an early adopter.
    It gets harder and harder to not get upset about BlackBerry.

Just so I understand the reason:
    Is it planned obsolescence or is there an actual reason for that?

Posted via CB10
    It's not supported via hardware. I thought this had been known for months - that we would need a special dock for USB OTG to work with Z10/Q10/Q5, and that dock hasn't been made available.
    09-20-13 05:42 AM
40 12