I'm on a 8220.
    When I go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options, there's an option that says Data Services. Right now, it's turned off.

My question is, what exactly happens when I turn it on?
    Does it mean that I can browse using the hotspot browser w/ wifi w/o getting charged per kB for it?
    Or, does it mean that I do get charged for data services?

Btw, I do NOT have a data plan.

Basically, if someone could tell me what enabling Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Data Services means to someone who has wi-fi but no data plan, that would be fabulicious
    06-24-09 12:21 PM
    to clarify, I cannot browse the internet w/o enabling data services.
    Data services lets me browse on hotspot AND Tmobile.
    However, only on hotspot does it require me to have wi-fi enabled.
    Does this mean data services enabled + wi-fi enabled + hotspot browser means I won't get charged? But if I use data services w/ tmobile browser I will?

I confused
    06-24-09 12:30 PM
    First, do you call T-Mobile and did they enable blackberry services? If yes, did you do it before June 1 or after June 1?

I have data services ON, I have wifi preferred, I have browser set to hotspot.

Technically, if you don't have a data plan, you should not be able to browse when you are not connected to wifi.

If you can browse while on edge in the T-Mobile browser, I think you will be charged per MB of data, but if you browse on the browser or opera while on wifi, you won't be charged and it should not work when you aren't on wifi.
    06-24-09 01:21 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

No, I did not call tmo, I do not have a data plan, and I got my phone AFTER Jun1.

You say I shouldn't be able to browse when not connected to wifi..that is correct, it only takes me to the tmobile homepage and says I need a subscription of some sort (web2go).

PaulaBB said:
    "I have data services ON, I have wifi preferred, I have browser set to hotspot."

So PaulaBB, do you have a data plan? If not, then you are not getting charged for having data services ON and browsing w/ hotspot, correct?
    06-24-09 01:35 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

No, I did not call tmo, I do not have a data plan, and I got my phone AFTER Jun1.

You say I shouldn't be able to browse when not connected to wifi..that is correct, it only takes me to the tmobile homepage and says I need a subscription of some sort (web2go).

PaulaBB said:
    "I have data services ON, I have wifi preferred, I have browser set to hotspot."

So PaulaBB, do you have a data plan? If not, then you are not getting charged for having data services ON and browsing w/ hotspot, correct?
    Hi - I don't have a data plan and I am not being charged for browsing with data services ON while browsing w/ hotspot. Going to post something else on this thread, but wanted to answer that question. You are good to go, but stay out of the T-Mobile browser.
    06-24-09 01:39 PM
    Alright, thanks.

Wish I got the phone before Jun1 so I could've gotten email, but at least I can browse now.
    06-24-09 01:48 PM
    We have 3 Blackberry phones, two are 8220/Flip and one is an 8320/Curve. None have a data plan. The two 8220s are on an unlimited text plan.

One 8220 has a SIM in it where the account line was Blackberry-enabled (free) through T-Mobile prior to 6-1-09, this changed the display from uma/edge to UMA/EDGE. It can browse/download and use all Blackberry apps such as App World, maps, email, etc. while on wifi. It can also send/receive MMS and do IM on EDGE*. It can also access Google Latitude and maps while on EDGE (and email), and that scares me, so I don't use those programs**. It cannot browse while on EDGE, gets the same message you do.

The other 8220 has a SIM in it where the account line was Blackberry-enabled (free) through T-Mobile after 6-1-09, this changed the display from uma/edge to UMA/EDGE. It can browse/download while on wifi. It can send/receive MMS on EDGE*. It cannot use IM. This change at T-Mobile was due to an audit, they can no longer enable for IM because it gives non-data plan people the ability to use all Blackberry services. It cannot browse while on EDGE, gets the same message you do.

The 8320 has a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM in it. The display is uma/edge. It can browse/download while on wifi. It cannot do MMS/IM. It cannot browse while on EDGE, gets the same message you do.

I can move the SIM from the account that was enabled prior to 6-1-09 to either of the other two phones and can use Blackberry apps on those phones and MMS/instant messaging.

* MMS/IM on a Blackberry use data on EDGE and data does show on my account but it hasn't accumulated to 1 MB, shows 0, with varying amounts such as 0.0029. I haven't been charged anything and if I was, I would argue that I have unlimited text and MMS/IM are included.
    ** I don't know if T-Mobile can distinguish between data usage for MMS/IM and use of a maps program.
    06-24-09 02:35 PM
    Alright, thanks.

Wish I got the phone before Jun1 so I could've gotten email, but at least I can browse now.
    I've never found a clear answer about using email without a data plan. I set up an account on the line that was enabled before June 1 just to see if it would work (it did), but then I deleted the account.

I doubt that it would send/receive while on EDGE, but I didn't want to take the chance and find myself with data charges.
    06-24-09 02:42 PM
    Here is a real stupid question, but I cant find it at the CB app store. Where can I get opera from?
    06-24-09 03:22 PM
    Here is a real stupid question, but I cant find it at the CB app store. Where can I get opera from?
    Opera Mini | The most popular mobile phone browser in the world or mini.opera.com
    06-24-09 04:55 PM
    Thanks for the info, PaulaBB, really helped.

I think I'm going to try palringo/logicmail for IM/email; they've been reported to work over wifi w/o data plan.

One quick question - I have tmo disabled currently and am connected to uma and wifi. When I send/recieve calls over uma, will I get charged if I don't have the tmobile@home service?

I ask this out of confusion - I seem to be able to do what tmobile@home allows you to do, without having the service.
    06-24-09 05:29 PM
    Thanks for the info, PaulaBB, really helped.

I think I'm going to try palringo/logicmail for IM/email; they've been reported to work over wifi w/o data plan.

One quick question - I have tmo disabled currently and am connected to uma and wifi. When I send/recieve calls over uma, will I get charged if I don't have the tmobile@home service?

I ask this out of confusion - I seem to be able to do what tmobile@home allows you to do, without having the service.
    The minutes come out of your plan based on time of day. The only advantage to using UMA without the HotSpot@Home plan is often the calls are clearer or you may not get good edge reception in some buildings. It is also an advantage when traveling out of the country if you can find open/free wifi.
    06-24-09 06:54 PM
    Thanks, now I'm confortable using wifi/uma for everything.
    I'm using LogicMail for email, Opera for browsing, Palringo for IM, and Nobex Radio Companion for internet radio. Everything works like a charm and I'm glad the only thing I'm getting 'charged' for is calling minutes from uma, and that would happen w/ tmo service anyways so its all good
    I'm going to try to get gcalsync working tomorrow...
    06-25-09 12:15 AM
    Did anyone ever actually explain how to install the Opera on the PDA? Ive downloaded it to my computer. Now what? Ive got my pda hooked up to my comp via usb, so now what?
    06-27-09 02:21 PM
    Use the desktop manager's add and remove programs to install opera.
    06-27-09 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD