In his Bloomberg interview, Thor said "soon the only computing platform you'll need is your phone".

What do you think he meant by that? Perhaps they have gone all in with Bridge and now all Z10/Q10 apps will run on the device but display on a larger 7inch (10inch) 'screen'?

Love to know what people think about this
    04-29-13 03:05 PM
    Maybe that the OS is or will make the phones comparable to tablets, desktop, laptops. Definitely plausible considering how much less I use my PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 03:30 PM
    Maybe that the OS is or will make the phones comparable to tablets, desktop, laptops. Definitely plausible considering how much less I use my PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. In fact my laptop is now pretty much just a storage device and Netflix/YouTube streamer (HDMI connected to TV).
    Mecca EL and raw_dog like this.
    04-29-13 03:36 PM
    In general BlackBerry wants your phone to be a terminal in the QNX mainframe. Total integration.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 03:39 PM
    Given how Q/Z10 is uber powerful, there is definitely credence behind Thorsten Heins statement (in fact its quite visionary-like).
    04-29-13 03:48 PM
    "Soon"

Posted via CB10
    ajst222, eldricho and mikeo007 like this.
    04-29-13 04:08 PM
    Already with 10.1 I have this beautiful connection to my stuff on my PCs.
    Now, the direction I hope that it takes is that there are integrated apps with Link so that I could use the Remote processing as well, only if they can do it as beautifully..

e.g, at the moment I am using uTorrent remote on my Z10 to remotely download files on my computer and then access them on my Z10.. sweet....

Posted via CB10
    CecilTsunami, Bilaal and KDB84 like this.
    04-29-13 04:22 PM
    You will take your phone, plug it into a dock attached to Monitor, and your phone will be your desktop.
    04-29-13 04:35 PM
    Firstly let me say I'm a BlackBerry fan and really want BB10 to succeed and the company to innovate their way back up to profitability. What I'm about to say may sound negative but it's just my observations and feelings about the reality of things.

Thorsten's comments about the approach to tablets, where the only mobile computing power you need is your phone, is to me just covering up the gaping hole that is BlackBerry's tablet strategy. I don't think there is a tablet strategy. I hope I'm wrong I really do.

I love my PlayBook but I can see it's flaws and I know it's quirks (most people wouldn't put up with them). A future BlackBerry tablet has so many hurdles to overcome due to the financial and PR disaster that was the PlayBook at launch

There are people hypothesising that Thorsten means future BlackBerry tablets will be almost dumb screens with batteries that need your BlackBerry connected to them to give them CPU power and resources. What they are suggesting is that BlackBerry repeat the very same mistake they made with the PlayBook at launch - needing a BlackBerry phone to make the tablet useful, immediately limiting the tablet's potential market. Remember how the PlayBook was slated for lacking built in PIM apps requiring Bridging to a BlackBerry for those simple functions that every other tablet had built in? What they are suggesting is even worse, the tablet can't do anything at all without a BlackBerry connected to it! Other manufacturers have tried this approach and failed, but BlackBerry also tried a watered down version of this with the PlayBook at launch and failed. They won't go down that road again.

The tablet market would be very very difficult for BlackBerry to succeed in again right now at the price points people would expect to pay for one, i.e. less than an Android tablet due to the much smaller app ecosystem. BlackBerry can't research, develop and sell a profitable tablet at that price, they don't have the economies of scale of Samsung never mind Apple. That's why Thorsten is being vague, fanciful and even elusive about Blackberry's tablet strategy.

Another point Thorsten made that I have a problem with is that they expect to sell several tens of millions of Q10's through the current user base upgrading to the Q10? I hope that was just thinking off the top of his head and not the real expectation as the majority of the current user base are using low end Curve handsets and are either young people who can't afford a Q10 or people who are in countries were the average person can't afford high end phones like the Q10, iPhone 5 or S4. To sell several tens of millions of Q10's they'd need the vast majority of those people to be new BlackBerry users. Can't see that happening in those numbers this year, maybe for the next generation of QNX based phones if this generation does well.

Posted via CB10
    Drew808, koolrosh and lsf222 like this.
    04-29-13 04:36 PM
    I envision walking into work with my BB and plunking it into a cradle with USB and HDMI. HDMI to my large screen on my desk, and USB to power and additional storage. You then have a BT mouse and keyboard. Now you either run native apps for email/word/spreadsheets/CRM etc, or you RDP to a terminal server and run the apps from there (or anywhere).
    You can do this today but improvements need to be made for RDP, phone orientation and a few apps...
    Geeoff likes this.
    04-29-13 04:37 PM
    You will take your phone, plug it into a dock attached to Monitor, and your phone will be your desktop.
    You can already do this.. hdmi out.

I think they will make dumb tablets. Slide your Z into it and there's your 1.5ghz dual core tablet. They will offer 7'', 8'', 9'', 10'' dumb tabs. A gorgeous screen, simple gpu and huge battery. No cpu, no hdd, no ram, no networking.. just stick your mobile computing power in it and you're set.

That's my long shot bet.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 05:17 PM
    I think it's more of envisioning when you walk into a supermarket and scan your items in your phone that is now part of said supermarkets mainframe..and prob be able to check out and pay all without standing in a line to do it.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 05:18 PM
    pantlesspeguin is right. I didn't really realise how little I touch my laptop now
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-29-13 05:21 PM
    Already with 10.1 I have this beautiful connection to my stuff on my PCs.
    Now, the direction I hope that it takes is that there are integrated apps with Link so that I could use the Remote processing as well, only if they can do it as beautifully..

e.g, at the moment I am using uTorrent remote on my Z10 to remotely download files on my computer and then access them on my Z10.. sweet....

Posted via CB10
    The thought of that put a big grin on my face. Amazing. So I can use uTorrent remote to download a file that's all performing on the laptop, but at the same time, updating on my phone (technically). Once that download has finished, I presume the sync between laptop and phone has also finished and voila - I can now view the downloaded files on my laptop.

God, I can't wait for the official 10.1 to drop
    04-29-13 05:23 PM
    The thought of that put a big grin on my face. Amazing. So I can use uTorrent remote to download a file that's all performing on the laptop, but at the same time, updating on my phone (technically). Once that download has finished, I presume the sync between laptop and phone has also finished and voila - I can now view the downloaded files on my laptop.

Yeap.. that's exactly what I've been doing for last few days...

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 05:30 PM
    I don't see it happening in my lifetime. There is way too much that I need my computer to do that phones simply are not yet capable of. Bridged tablets don't come close to cutting it. When I can take my phone out of my pocket and slip it into some kind of docking station that can do ALL of what I do now with a keyboard, mouse and huge-a$$ display, then my phone will be the only platform I need. But we're still a very long way from that.
    Revampd likes this.
    04-29-13 05:33 PM

Imagine a similar Remote app for a video splitting and compression program, now I can upload those videos to cloud remotely. .doc to pdf, audio extraction , heck possibilities are limit less...
    Z10 then really becomes a communication tool, communication between tens of computers...

BTW, BlackBerry does not need to do much now if they don't want to, I think some smart devs can take it from here...

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 05:49 PM
    You can already do this.. hdmi out.

I think they will make dumb tablets. Slide your Z into it and there's your 1.5ghz dual core tablet. They will offer 7'', 8'', 9'', 10'' dumb tabs. A gorgeous screen, simple gpu and huge battery. No cpu, no hdd, no ram, no networking.. just stick your mobile computing power in it and you're set.

That's my long shot bet.

Posted via CB10

My Z10 gets too low on RAM to run all the tasks I need running on my phone to be able to also run all the tasks I'd want running on a tablet too. And that's just the start of the problems with this idea. What happens when you get a phone call while your Z10 is attached to the dumb tablet? Unless it's on an unwieldy long HDMI cable you'd have to undock it just to talk to someone or risk looking ridiculous holding a tablet to the side of your head to take the call.

It's impractical in the real world and also the reason why the PlayBook failed at launch, a tablet shouldn't need you to already own another expensive gadget to make it work. The market expects a tablet to be fully usable standalone. BlackBerry would have to somehow get the idea in to the whole consumer world's head that their tablets aren't actually tablets, they'd just be dumb touch screens, what could they call them? Dumblet's?! People just aren't going to understand it, touch devices are supposed to be 'Smart' not dumb in the consumers mind and in business.

To top it off only selling to your existing user base is a vicious circle that leads to extinction in the business world when you are a platform based company.

Posted via CB10
    Drew808 likes this.
    04-29-13 05:51 PM
    I truly hope that this is not meant seriously: plugging stuff into other stuff....... So far I have experienced just the opposite.

Everything is becoming more and more wireless. Nfc is an amazing technology which would allow to connect to all your thin clients by touching them and then just leaving it on the side.

Just have a look at Gemalto's Trade Connect system:

It uses a smart card and pin for authentication on one work station and you have access to several PCs.

The moment you leave the desk and take your RfID smart card with you, the systems locks all PCs until you come back.

Just as previously mentioned: Someone calls you and you pick up you phone. You decide to leave your desk to take the call: all you peripherals turn dead.... Nobody can steal your data, post something childish on your Facebook etc....

The moment you are back, everything is the way you left it.

See the phone more as a centrepiece between all the screens, Cloud services and real high end workstations providing you with the necessary power for demanding tasks.

When you need to work, you do not have to worry anymore that the software you require is installed, your boss does not want to purchase an additional license and you therefore have to carry that massive laptop home (still beats carrying a tower) when all you really need is the license key as your gaming machine at home is more powerful anyway.

All that would become obsolete when all you need to do is have the correct app on your phone which unlocks the software on any PC you are working from.

Just check out Windows bootable drive.... and imagine it from your phone.

Not tied down to specific machines, seamless authentication and access through your phone by connecting cloud with a physical access through your phone.

All data able for review on the go and able to share it even if you are not at the desk.

It started with word docs and spreadsheets.... soon it will be everything.

There is enough Computing power to go around and plenty of bandwidth (Google fibre with 1Gbit speeds)

All you practically going to need is a thin client like your phone that can connect seamlessly to peripherals.

Without Wires!

Being the hub of all your Information and the centre piece of the setup of my workstation, I can envision what Thorsten Heinz has planned.

With the modularity, it should be possible to outsource specific tasks to "dumb" devices and harness their additional computing power and still have all information centrally.

Tue world is already shifting to thin clients and virtualisation. Taking a route slightly more extreme than the Chrome book is certainly interesting.

Why having a whole laptop when all you need is a masterpiece of a phone which you can extend into a 3 screen workstation...

Posted via CB10
    ricocan and tstrike34 like this.
    04-29-13 07:01 PM
    In his Bloomberg interview, Thor said "soon the only computing platform you'll need is your phone".

What do you think he meant by that?
    "I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail."
    (Maslow)
    04-29-13 07:49 PM
    Fitting.....

Just watched star trek and am actually smiling about their pads and other gadgets.... Just reminds me so much of the z10

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 07:53 PM
    "I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail."
    (Maslow)
    ..and ingenuity is what you capable of making of nails... of course with the hammer...

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 08:42 PM
    In general BlackBerry wants your phone to be a terminal in the QNX mainframe. Total integration.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. This would of course require massive investment in compute facilities as well as a robust cloud infrastructure to access these resources wherever you are with your phone/terminal.

Do you really think that is the direction BlackBerry is headed? I suppose they could rent resources from Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud or Windows Azure, but even then scaling QNX on this would be a formidable task and the operating expenses would be... considerable.
    04-29-13 10:22 PM
    I think he meant if you use the Internet for most of your computing tasks (or all). But anyone that uses a lot of legacy Windows applications to get work done day day knows this ain't happening. Not for me. Let's see how will I run Catapult back office on a BlackBerry. Or how about sybase 12. Or how about Corel draw. Or pay clock pro that integrates to quick books. Or...

Nah.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    04-29-13 10:39 PM
    I'm thinking a reimagined BlackBerry Bridge
    04-29-13 11:16 PM
58 123