All of the conjecture that the BlackBerry Classic will sell poorly or the idea that the Toolbelt is a backwards step, is misguided in the belief that it is targeting the consumer. From this perspective it will be a flop, however when one takes the regulated enterprise space and the recent hacking of Sony Pictures, further back Apple's iCloud, into account there is a major recipe for success. Large enterprises, being conservative in nature, will no doubt be concerned by these Cyber Security scandals, and will look to tighten there security. With BlackBerry's name being synonymous with security it will naturally be brought up and to have the tightest security you should use BlackBerry handsets with BES. When choosing handsets I'm sure IT or someone further up the corporate ladder will succumb to the familiarity of the Classic, which will naturally bring a sense of comfort and continuity, considering they will most likely be slightly shaken up by this wave of security breaches (Sony, Apple, Target,JPMorgan, etc.).

What is unbelievable is BlackBerry hasn't taken the opportunity of this latest breach of enterprise security to have a massive marketing push considering at this moment news agencies's sound bites are a buzz with words like "hacking" and "data security" and are impressing this upon the minds of millions of ordinary and professional people. However BlackBerry may be far more clever than we believe because why pay when it can be done for free, the idea of data security and BlackBerry is already well entrenched in the minds of the business world and IT departments. So all it may take is the perception of a threat and the sheep (no pun intended) will come back into the fold. With this I'm inclined to think that BlackBerry will have very nice financial results next quarter and if I had the extra cash I'd buy BlackBerry stock, but at the end of the day I'll just be glad BlackBerry will continue to make handsets.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8338913) likes this.
    12-17-14 08:41 PM
    The issue with Sony and iCloud has never been a mobile breach: the issue is malware or social engineering through phishing attacks, or just sloppy security in general. BlackBerry doesn't make antivirus software or network intrusion devices so how exactly are they going to try and make this issue help them out? Protecting mobile assets does nothing to protect mail servers or any other assets that were targeted in this breach.
    12-17-14 09:27 PM
    Right, because having a Blackberry would have prevented the hack from happening. Oh wait, it wouldn't have.
    12-17-14 11:07 PM
    Right, because having a Blackberry would have prevented the hack from happening. Oh wait, it wouldn't have.
    I think you are missing the point. Everybody knows it wasn't a mobile breach. What OP is saying is people with sensitive MOBILE data may be reading this and taking action to pull up their trousers and make sure their data is safe by adopting BlackBerry, the name synonymous with mobile security. That's what I read anyways.
    12-18-14 12:23 AM
    I think you are missing the point. Everybody knows it wasn't a mobile breach. What OP is saying is people with sensitive MOBILE data may be reading this and taking action to pull up their trousers and make sure their data is safe by adopting BlackBerry, the name synonymous with mobile security. That's what I read anyways.
    I guess, but it's a bit of a reach to say that because of the Sony hack that people are going to say "Wow, Sony got hacked, I need a Blackberry." And even if they did unless these people are connected to BES then owning a Blackberry isn't going to do anything for them from a security standpoint.
    12-18-14 07:37 AM
    I agree with the Op. The Sony hack is an object lesson in the extent of damage that can be caused to an organization with lax security by a determined and skilled malicious third party. Saying it's not mobile so it's not relevant is like saying historically terrorist attacks in North America have always been targeted at vehicles so there is no need to increase security at sports venues. The Sony attack is ongoing and almost existential in severity. CIO's who have become complacent approving "good enough " security will now have to reassess the balance in their organizations between convenience and risk under the stark illumination of this example. Any competent executive will approach the issue by looking for all points of vulnerability, not limited to the specific signature of this debacle.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 11:10 AM
    Is exactly what I read aswell.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    12-18-14 11:36 AM
    I agree with the Op. The Sony hack is an object lesson in the extent of damage that can be caused to an organization with lax security by a determined and skilled malicious third party. Saying it's not mobile so it's not relevant is like saying historically terrorist attacks in North America have always been targeted at vehicles so there is no need to increase security at sports venues. The Sony attack is ongoing and almost existential in severity. CIO's who have become complacent approving "good enough " security will now have to reassess the balance in their organizations between convenience and risk under the stark illumination of this example. Any competent executive will approach the issue by looking for all points of vulnerability, not limited to the specific signature of this debacle.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 11:44 AM
    Who's to say the mobile phones at Sony weren't hacked which lend to the everything else? Sony has learned a very costly and valuable lesson that will hit the 10's of millions. I think other companies now are going to wake up with fear as no one wants to be the next sony.

Posted via CB10
    I guess, but it's a bit of a reach to say that because of the Sony hack that people are going to say "Wow, Sony got hacked, I need a Blackberry." And even if they did unless these people are connected to BES then owning a Blackberry isn't going to do anything for them from a security standpoint.
    A locked BlackBerry is very secure against unauthorized access if lost or stolen. That's not dependent on BES. It's true people will not see the Sony breach as a reason to buy BlackBerry--unless someone reminds them that all security breaches have one thing in common: they give us reason to be more aware of security, and a locked BlackBerry is more secure than most other smartphones. It's not more secure in terms of how it handles normal mobile data, because in that respect it's works the same way as all the others. But it is more secure in terms of being less readily hacked when in the wrong hands.
    These companies would be better off deploying iPhones with Touch ID and ensure that the devices are locked when not in use.
    12-18-14 11:48 AM
    I doubt it, Sony is the epitome of the stereotypical caveman end user. Heck, the boss of SPE emailed his assistant for account passwords, to which he replied with the password (in plaintext, of course). Sony using BES would only be detrimental for BlackBerry, since, like life, Sony finds a way.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 11:53 AM
    I think this may be more relevant to blackberry. Well at least the phone part of it.

http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://ww...oYR3iipuCKxkew

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 11:57 AM
    From what I see, no corporations will take security 100% seriously until they fall in the same boat as Sony had recently.

Once you go black, you can't turn back! Posted via CB10
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-18-14 12:06 PM
    A locked BlackBerry is very secure against unauthorized access if lost or stolen. That's not dependent on BES. It's true people will not see the Sony breach as a reason to buy BlackBerry--unless someone reminds them that all security breaches have one thing in common: they give us reason to be more aware of security, and a locked BlackBerry is more secure than most other smartphones. It's not more secure in terms of how it handles normal mobile data, because in that respect it's works the same way as all the others. But it is more secure in terms of being less readily hacked when in the wrong hands.
    How is it more secure than say a locked iPhone?
    12-18-14 12:36 PM
    How is it more secure than say a locked iPhone?
    So far, no locked BlackBerry has been hacked, as far as I know. That can't be said for iPhone or any Android phone. The only exception was the PlayBook, which was vulnerable for a short while until BlackBerry sent out a patch that secured it.

It's Still Possible To Hack A Locked iPhone - Business Insider
    shaleem likes this.
    12-18-14 12:55 PM
    So far, no locked BlackBerry has been hacked, as far as I know. That can't be said for iPhone or any Android phone. The only exception was the PlayBook, which was vulnerable for a short while until BlackBerry sent out a patch that secured it.

That's good to know. But you can also remotely disable it if you lose it or remotely wipe it. Also it only looks like they can get into media files that way and not emails or texts but I see what you mean.
    12-18-14 01:51 PM
    So far, no locked BlackBerry has been hacked, as far as I know. That can't be said for iPhone or any Android phone.[/url]
    Your link regarding the iPhone "hack" requires you to have physical access & authorization (login credentials for that specific user's profile) for a computer that has been previously paired with that iOS device and set as "trusted" in order to access some of the files on the device. Not impossible by any means, but it's not easy in most instances.

You also mention that every locked Android phone is capable of being hacked into. I'm VERY curious as to your proof of this. If I have a password on my Android phone, as long as my boot-loader is locked and it's not in "developer mode" with the debug bridge enabled (as is the case with 99%+ of devices, especially anyone who cares about security), how would you unlock it or access any of the data on it? If you're really reaching you could say that if Google were in on the plot and you were in physical possession of my device, they could change the password through my 2-factor-authentication-protected GMail account, but that's really stretching the definition of "hack".
    12-18-14 02:23 PM
    This isn't a 99.4% security (well-secured iOS or Android) vs. 99.5% security (well-secured BB10) issue. Sony's problem wasn't an inherant flaw in the devices that they chose to use, it was an almost unbelievable lack of security measures.
    Sony's Top Secret Password Lists Have Names Like Master_Password_Sheet
    Many thousands of passwords being stored in open-access network folders in plain-text "without protection of any kind".
    Hackers attack the weakest link. In Sony's case, there were many links made of wet noodles. I don't think they're too concerned about whether some titanium chain links need to be upgraded to tungsten.

This is a story of poor implementation of security, or complete lack of security, and that can be an issue on any platform and on any device.
    12-18-14 02:26 PM
    It shouldn't be a reach. Anyone with sensitive data who knows about this would be wise to give their security measures a once over. But you're right, many probably won't. Its the 'it'll never happen to me' syndrome.
    12-18-14 11:23 PM
    Your link regarding the iPhone "hack" requires you to have physical access & authorization (login credentials for that specific user's profile) for a computer that has been previously paired with that iOS device and set as "trusted" in order to access some of the files on the device. Not impossible by any means, but it's not easy in most instances.

You also mention that every locked Android phone is capable of being hacked into. I'm VERY curious as to your proof of this. If I have a password on my Android phone, as long as my boot-loader is locked and it's not in "developer mode" with the debug bridge enabled (as is the case with 99%+ of devices, especially anyone who cares about security), how would you unlock it or access any of the data on it? If you're really reaching you could say that if Google were in on the plot and you were in physical possession of my device, they could change the password through my 2-factor-authentication-protected GMail account, but that's really stretching the definition of "hack".
    Does Android have a maximum number of password attempts, like BlackBerry does?
    12-18-14 11:25 PM
    I doubt it, Sony is the epitome of the stereotypical caveman end user. Heck, the boss of SPE emailed his assistant for account passwords, to which he replied with the password (in plaintext, of course). Sony using BES would only be detrimental for BlackBerry, since, like life, Sony finds a way.

Posted via CB10
    On BES, that wouldn't have left their servers to be intercepted. Inter office would have been ok.
    12-18-14 11:53 PM
    No. See HACK: Get into the LG G3 without knowing the knock code - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    12-19-14 08:21 AM
    Different manufacturers sometimes handle it in their own way (I believe some HTC devices have a "10 incorrect = wipe the device" policy by default.

Most Android devices simply lock the device for increasing amounts of time, and with decreasing # of opportunities before the next lock. Before long I think it requires you to access your Gmail account to continue if the device uses Google Play Services, but I haven't experienced more than a handful of incorrect attempts.
    12-19-14 08:21 AM

get the fact straight, blackberry was hacked..enjoy!
    With BlackBerry reportedly hacked, is anything secure? | Computerworld
    12-19-14 08:30 AM
34 12