Does anyone know what Sony are using for their email - are they using BES for example? If they were would their email have been hacked?
    12-19-14 05:39 AM
    If it was blackberry, I'm sure the world would have heard about it.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 05:48 AM
    I'm not sure whether that would have played a role, except to see if the hackers got in through their mobile device management system.

BES isn't used to manage all aspects of their IT networks, at least insofar as I am aware. If true, the real question is whether BES is at risk if someone gets through into the company's servers via a different method.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    12-19-14 05:50 AM
    Wouldn't they have been hacked thru their firewall on their computer systems? Not thru their phones.
    12-19-14 06:00 AM
    Mobile computing is not at all relevant in the Sony incident nor will it ever be. Film studios are not going to edit, comment, or share their unreleased films (which will be huge files, btw) on a smartphone! Nor is all the employee's earnings and health information stored on a tablet.

Smartphones make up a small part of the enterprise solution.
    12-19-14 06:03 AM
    I doubt Sony who makes phones would be issuing BlackBerry's to employees. I don't think in this case it would have made a difference which phone they use. I'm betting for the future they will try and lock down all aspects of their IT.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 06:07 AM
    Well it's not Blackberry BES for sure because the emails weren't encrypted.
    12-19-14 07:43 AM
    They used the Administrator password. They had the keys to the kingdom.
    12-19-14 08:04 AM
    Does anyone know what Sony are using for their email - are they using BES for example? If they were would their email have been hacked?
    BES is not an email platform. It is simply a mobile device management solution.

Email is usually hosted on Microsoft Exchange, Lotus Notes, or something Linux based.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 10:00 AM
    Well it's not Blackberry BES for sure because the emails weren't encrypted.
    Did they specify the hack was mobile device related? Or just email related? You don't need bes to encrypt regular email. Lol

BES is only used for secure communication with mobile devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 10:02 AM
    Found in another forum:

The issue with Sony and iCloud has never been a mobile breach: the issue is malware or social engineering through phishing attacks, or just sloppy security in general. BlackBerry doesn't make antivirus software or network intrusion devices so how exactly are they going to try and make this issue help them out? Protecting mobile assets does nothing to protect mail servers or any other assets that were targeted in this breach.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 10:05 AM