Security and privacy that's rich coming from a company that silencess hacks before they become public

Fyi bb10 was hacked and rooted on a z10 remotely without touching the phone at blackhat

A gag order was given to both researchers as it was mentioned by Justin case after a bbry blogger misquoted him and incured his wrath over Twitter and the following attack on him

At least Google and Apple are open about their leaks and security and work with the researchers

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Who knows remember it was covered by the gag order not much details other then what the researchers said initially

When a gag order is issued they can't speak about it even how it was done or show it being done

Any high level company or government wouldn't be using a bbry phone without bes and yes it has been confirmed a bb10 has been hacked remotely and rooted ... bbry put a gag order shortly after that but not from behind a bes server 're the blackhat conference

If you mean Obama and Merkel they both have custom bbrys and not ones you can get off the shelf at a carrier

Merkels comes with an encryption chip that a normal consumer can't afford

Obama has custom nsa made firewalls

Any major company in the regulated industry wouldn't be using bbry without a bes or mdm provider
    the only way a group like annonymous would go after bbry would be for fame since most of bbrys clients is less then 10m for bb10 and mostly overseas it's doubtful
    There is no info because bbry put a gag order on it
    That's why you cannot read how it was exactly done you do know what a gag order is right?
    Bbry doesn't want it known how it was done other then the fem2cell attack which the moderators of this forums and many bbry websites linked to that article at blackhat it happened bbry squashed it to hide the facts what is blackout you cannot read or do you have a magic mind reader built app in your bb10 that can tell us exactly how it was done

Fem2cell attack was done remotely which doesn't necessarily mean it required user input as it is a baseband issue and guess what it was done easily on the z10

Do you know what a gag order is ?
    Seriously

So are you saying every bbry forums and moderator is lying I highly doubt that
    Please read the article as it was demoed in front of blackhat including some blackberry bloggers that isnt on the gag order the only thing that can't be done is
    If you read up on fem2cell bbry isnt immune to such attacks noone is
    As it is part of the phone

It is how carriers send carriers settings and updates to your phone
    Including your SIM card you cannot block that or your phone wont work
    Even zocster mentions why it Is a threat in his post on the subject I suggest you read up the many threads on the subject it will enlighten you

A gag order on the two researchers would prevent them from saying anything about the subject with jail time and a massive fine as punishment for the two people it doesn't prevent other people from speaking of it just the details can never be released publicly

What is known is what was said not how other then it's a known weakness

Except read your own link Lord people don't read what they Google

A gag order issued by a judge has to have two lawyersif it is about a trial and only to jurers

However if a company can prove someone can harm a product rather then help a problem a private instiution can issue their own gag order with a lawyer with threat of a lawsuit and yes that is in your own link
    Fyi
    More info on the bbry hack
    My Thoughts on Technology and Jamaica: How to Hack ANY Blackberry or Smartphone - SGP Technologies survived in the Lion?s Den as Blackphone Hack was cover for Blackberry Baseband Hack
    It's real

iirc that carrier business has been patched....and give it a rest man, you need to be gagged!

Let it go, get over it...this is what I imagine is going on in your head right now.

Sometimes When You Lie!-monkey1.jpg
    Last edited by zocster; 09-07-14 at 03:03 AM.
    NamelessStar likes this.
    09-06-14 09:02 PM
    BlackBerry has produced a list of over 100 common passwords that are no longer accepted for BBIDs. These include password, 12345, 54321, NCC1701, etc. Apple didn't even have to create such a list, they could have copied BlackBerry's. But I guess it never occurred to them to restrict passwords - in their own words, 'why would anyone want to limit the iPhone'.

Posted via CB10
    Its a little ridiculous to expect any company to take responsibility for the password a user creates. I'd argue blackberry had far more important things to do than create a list of passwords.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-06-14 09:10 PM
    Its a little ridiculous to expect any company to take responsibility for the password a user creates. I'd argue blackberry had far more important things to do than create a list of passwords.

The list was already created....reading comprehension, man...use it!
    09-06-14 09:23 PM
    I did. And I think its clear blackberry's priority should have been, and should be, trying to sell some phones.

See that? That's reading comprehension taken along with a totality of the facts!

09-06-14 10:13 PM
    Ironic.
    TGR1 likes this.
    09-06-14 10:17 PM
    I did. And I think its clear blackberry's priority should have been, and should be, trying to sell some phones.

See that? That's reading comprehension taken along with a totality of the facts!

BlackBerry's security group compiled the list, and developers simply implemented it. Not the sales and marketing team. It is also in their best interests, because it helps keep their users safer by preventing them from using passwords that can easily be cracked. That also of course helps BlackBerry because they won't be blamed for allowing poor passwords which would tarnish their security image. Such a simple thing to implement I'm sure has more than paid off. Just like preventing unlimited password attempts where brute force attacks can be utilized. If Apple had done these two things, the Fappening may never have occurred (or been less of a thing).
    spikesolie and zyphen like this.
    09-06-14 11:04 PM

That makes 0 sense mate. You do know BlackBerry isn't just 1 giant department....

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    Playbook007 likes this.
    09-06-14 11:18 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't offer its own cloud solution, because they are not safe and never will be. It could if it wanted to....like really you think a cloud is that complicated? Apple uses the icloud to tie it's offerings together. The iterations had to be many if the username along with password had to be guessed at simultaneously. Or did you even take stats? BBID has a limit of 10 tries....Apple didn't. What about the people who deleted files, but they were never deleted from the cloud? Is this just something Apple users should just accept? Perhaps it's you who should stop blindly defending Apple and look at the situation with an open mind. Apple should have owned up to their error in security and not hung their users out to dry, which is exactly what they did.

Posted via CB10
    I am still going to buy the Iphone 6 next week
    09-07-14 02:23 AM
    (look at India and Saudi Arabia)
    And Indonesia, but BlackBerry still hasn't given them the full access.

Sent from my White Q10 using Tapatalk
    09-07-14 03:01 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't offer its own cloud solution, because they are not safe and never will be. It could if it wanted to....like really you think a cloud is that complicated? Apple uses the icloud to tie it's offerings together. The iterations had to be many if the username along with password had to be guessed at simultaneously. Or did you even take stats? BBID has a limit of 10 tries....Apple didn't. What about the people who deleted files, but they were never deleted from the cloud? Is this just something Apple users should just accept? Perhaps it's you who should stop blindly defending Apple and look at the situation with an open mind. Apple should have owned up to their error in security and not hung their users out to dry, which is exactly what they did.

Posted via CB10
    they don't have it because they do not have neither the money nor the expertise to implement it
    09-07-14 03:31 AM
    Please stop the thinking that consumers are dummy while you are smart because you are sporting a Blackberry. The enterprise is owned by Apple not Blackberry..please read the current market share but I guess in your view they are dummies too. You can have all the security you want but that is useless when you witness Blackberry concede under the pressure of governments and give access (look at India and Saudi Arabia)
    they didn't do anything major when the pressure was put the agreement was that the data doesn't leave the country they placed nocs in those areas, also apple may dominate the market but that's simply because of byod IT has lost control of the security they need. On the other note with all this apple bs that they are secure people will learn soon enough just how bad they are even just with this leak of the pics huge investors doubled their share in BB right after it happened lol.
    09-07-14 03:42 AM
    To the OP's original post ( that's why it called OP)
    Not liking Apple, myself.... it's not lying... it's CREATIVE MARKETING!!!

09-07-14 05:37 AM
    There are a lot of opposing arguments on this forum, but you have to admit, it is pretty weak for a cloud service not to have a limit on the number of login attempts. No further argument should be necessary!

Posted via Z10
    Last edited by KR2013; 09-07-14 at 07:50 AM.
    lift, sleepngbear and Playbook007 like this.
    09-07-14 06:10 AM
    Please stop the thinking that consumers are dummy while you are smart because you are sporting a Blackberry. The enterprise is owned by Apple not Blackberry..please read the current market share but I guess in your view they are dummies too. You can have all the security you want but that is useless when you witness Blackberry concede under the pressure of governments and give access (look at India and Saudi Arabia)
    You are spreading false information my friend.
    India, Saudi-Arabia and some others got only access to traffic that is not protected by BES.

Companies that are using BES are not affected at all.

Market share, however, is a valid argument.
    But market share doesn't mean that you have the best product.

iPhone 5 is a great product, not so much different to OS10 and if you don't mind living in a golden cage, stick with it.

I personally don't want to be forced to going into any cloud. And I do want to close applications with a simple click, and also my sd card, picture password, quick settings and the hub (just to name a few things)... these are the little things that make me stick with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Toodeurep likes this.
    09-07-14 06:10 AM
    In fact in 2011, then RIM purchased a company named "Newbay" for $100 million with the intention of bringing it's own cloud services to BB10.
    RIM acquires mobile cloud software firm NewBay for $100 million: report | ZDNet

In Dec 2012 RIM then sold Newbay for an apparent $44 million dollar loss, in a sale that was thought to be to raise cash.
    One Year After Buying NewBay, RIM Sells The Mobile Cloud Software Developer To Synchronoss Technologies For $55.5M In Cash | TechCrunch

My guess is that BlackBerry found many reasons to abandon the idea, at least one of which was it didn't have the cash on hand to effectively implement the scheme and that it would offer Box and DropBox implementation in it's place that would offer the services without any additional cash expenditures by BlackBerry, much better use of the cash on hand for a company that was concerned about cash on hand.

Any system that allows the use of easily guessed passwords along with the use of questions that can be answered simply by using Google search effectively ("what high school did you attend", "what is your mothers maiden name" and the like) and does not utilize effective 2 factor authentication is bound for failure to a professional hacker. Any user who uses easily guessed passwords get what they deserve.

These measures fall on your own shoulders as it does your phone manufacturer and your carrier. Do you use 2 factor authentication (Google and Microsoft really are ahead of the game on this), use strong passwords and/or a good password manager - which allows for answers to those questions that are not immediately apparent (don't reply to "what is your high school's mascot? with "tiger" respond with a 16 character string of numbers, letters and figures saved in LastPass or another good password manager.

I fully expect Apple to mention this scandal in their Tuesday presentation and get ahead of it as others have said here previously - Apple is very good about getting out in front of the problem ever since "antennagate". I offer as proof of this not one other post that I noted in this string mentioned Mat Honan's previous hacking with Apple and Amazon. Remember that one? (It is here if you dont: How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking | Gadget Lab | WIRED ) . At the time all the same rending of garments and gnashing of teeth about how this was the end of Apple as we knew it - now no one remembers it/talks about it it seems, any more. Most of my friends with Apple devices are looking to Tuesday because they really want the big screen iPhone - not one of them has changed their mind after this.
    lift likes this.
    09-07-14 09:23 AM
    Cook should come clean. Stick to the consumer market, forget about the secure enterprise market, discuss great app experiences and don't talk security.
    I agree. And if by "great app experiences" you mean "nude celebrity selfies hacked and posted to the world" then I also agree!

Richard
    09-07-14 09:50 AM
    I am still going to buy the Iphone 6 next week
    Yeah so.....
    09-07-14 10:44 AM
    Lol and you think Apple doesn't concede either?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-07-14 11:34 AM
    The reality is that the vast majority of folks regardless of which mobile OS they use, don't bother to read all of the various permissions when installing apps to their smartphones (Same is true in regards to reading the EULA on software they install on their computers, especially when the entire document is dozens of pages long.). Folks will also leave the settings on their phones and apps on those phones in the default setting, which can present open opportunities for hackers. By default, the various cloud services send photos and video to the cloud whenever they are taken, and people don't take the time to change those settings. Sometimes you end up learning a lesson the hard way, be it having private content stored online being stolen and passed around by hackers or not backing up your device on a regular basis and then having it crash and losing content and data.

Hackers look for the "hole in the fence" as a means of access and with the popularity of the various iOS devices, they are targeting Apple more than the did in the past. This hole in the fence was likely one that the developers at Apple didn't think would be breached, and that can either be a case of naivety or a case of egotism on their part depending upon how you look at it.

Someone earlier was mentioning the discovery of rogue cell towers and unfortunately for most of us, protection from those is currently out of our price range. In addition, those rogue cell towers were discovered mainly near military or government facilities, so the targets of eavesdropping are likely military personnel and other government personnel and presumably not the average person (Although in the wake of the NSA eavesdropping reports, one may never truly know.). These systems are not cheap to build either, so it's unlikely to be the work of an average person. Considering these rogue towers force a phone to switch to 2G (since it is less secure standard), perhaps it may spur carriers to speed up their plans to shut down their 2G networks earlier than originally planned?
    09-07-14 11:40 AM
    Lol and you think Apple doesn't concede either?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    That's the point.
    All ISPs work with LEAs http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/05...ive-to-police/

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 05:04 PM
    Sorry, but the apple consumers still won't give a rats turd about security when you get down to the nitty gritty. We give too much credit to consumers around here. Most, NOT ALL, are dummies. They will buy any new iphone apple throws at them. There are people waiting in line for 10 days for the next iphone, for what? The same phone that came out last year? I couldn't begin to understand what's so amazing about the iphone. I had one, I couldn't get into the mix. Average Consumers WONT open their eyes to the issues with security. They don't care enough. There won't be an "opening eye to reality". The only thing that will happen is something "new" will come along to replace apple. Consumers like "new". When the fad train picks up speed, it's nearly an impossible train to stop.

We all have to stop thinking this world is filled with a bunch of intelligent people. Most will buy anything that carries an Apple insignia. Don't hope for a reality check with this breach. It'll be swept under the rug. Most apple users don't care, and when the next iphone is released, it'll be as if the breach never occurred.

Posted via Q10RR
    I actually have to agree, but I know a few Apple users that say they are getting a new BlackBerry when their contract is up. They are asking me to show them stuff more and more. Remember too, these are long time Apple users and faithful.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 09:12 AM
121 ... 345