Let me start out by saying that my whole life is pretty much work work work. I don't have time for a lot of other things. That being said..

So my car had been making an odd ping/rattling noise under the hood for quite some time now. Finally, my oil pressure gauge began to drop yesterday, and finally hit rock bottom. Awesome. So I take my car down to pep boys, and I tell them I think I may need an oil change, but that I just want them to throw some oil in there for the time being, you know, just to keep the pressure up.

So Nick, my pep boys guy, goes out to my car, checks the dipstick, and looks at me like I'm a complete and total moron who is literally foaming at the mouth before his very eyes. Meanwhile I'm standing there, emailing away on my Blackberry.....

He says, "Well, yes... An oil change would have been the right thing to do - if you had any oil whatsoever in your car." Yup. Not a drop of oil in my car. If that isn't embarassing enough, he continues to say, "By the way. That's a nice Blackberry. Perhaps next time, you should use it to google a Jiffy Lube."

Ehem.
    06-10-08 11:34 AM
    That's not too bad.

I know a woman who once had RUST on the end of the dipstick in her engine.

Needless to say they found this out AFTER the engine blew up....
    06-10-08 11:48 AM
    I'm sorry - I'm laughing and at the same time I can totally relate.

Another way your BlackBerry can help ... use your calendar to make appts for your car maintenance.

If you need a new car - check out the Mini dealership on Scottsdale Road. Love my car and the warranty is amazing. Oil changes are covered and the car tells you when service is needed.
    Last edited by MiniBB; 06-10-08 at 12:14 PM. Reason: cuz I can't type on a real keyboard anymore
    06-10-08 12:13 PM
    Yikes, either your car has an oil leak...
    Or it's burning the oil in the engine. This can be caused by bad piston rings sometimes.

Dm
    06-10-08 12:17 PM
    That's why I love my Benz.... Once a year service and oil changes... But that service will hit your pockets. I email my service advisor from my blackberry anytime I need an appointment. Gotta Love the BB
    06-10-08 12:18 PM
    ... the car tells you when service is needed.
    By E-Mail?
    06-10-08 12:21 PM
    Yikes, either your car has an oil leak...
    Or it's burning the oil in the engine. This can be caused by bad piston rings sometimes.

Dm
    Nope, no oil leak..... There are never any spots under my car. "Nick" said that it probably was burning oil in the engine. BUT... I haven't had an oil change since before January, and it's a million degrees here so this is just my fault for being a dumb blonde.
    06-10-08 12:30 PM
    Don't feel bad, I blew up an engine before I really got the whole, "You have to have oil" thing.
    06-10-08 12:33 PM
    I'm sorry - I'm laughing and at the same time I can totally relate.

Another way your BlackBerry can help ... use your calendar to make appts for your car maintenance.

If you need a new car - check out the Mini dealership on Scottsdale Road. Love my car and the warranty is amazing. Oil changes are covered and the car tells you when service is needed.
    That's awesome....

It's not that I need a new car, I just got this one not that long ago. I just need to maintain it properly, apparently.
    06-10-08 12:34 PM
    By E-Mail?

Not quite - everytime you start the car, the countdown shows. It computes the mileage and how the car has been driven. For instance, the countdown will change more rapidly on days that I push the rpm's!

Jenaywins - I live in Northwest Phoenix - have PepBoys check your battery too - soon the heat will be killing all of our AZ batteries ...
    06-10-08 12:49 PM
    Jenaywins - I live in Northwest Phoenix - have PepBoys check your battery too - soon the heat will be killing all of our AZ batteries ...
    That was honestly next on my to-do list... My car doesn't seem to want to start as quickly as she used to.... Hmm. Don't they give you a discount, too, when you trade in your old battery? I have a newer Mustang... I wouldn't think I would be having this many issues but EHHH....
    06-10-08 12:54 PM
    Most places do give a discount. I have never changed a battery myself - those things weigh a ton and it's not worth it to me when I can pay someone to do it!

Batteries and belts - the heat just kills them. Oh ... and windshield wipers.

If its a new car - check the dealership - you should have some warranty coverage.

My Mini is almost 4 years old, the dealership has replaced my battery, a couple of belts, windshield wipers and windshield in addition to basic maintenance. Out of pocket cost - $0
    06-10-08 01:13 PM
    Are you kidding? I would never change my battery myself!!

I have always just taken my car to Auto Zone, did a little eyelash-batting, and had the boys change my batteries for me.
    06-10-08 01:24 PM
    Don't forget to rotate your tires every time you have an oil change, next your tires are going to slide of a wet road and kill you!!
    06-10-08 01:28 PM
    Thanks for reminding me about my oil change!
    06-10-08 01:31 PM
    Don't forget to rotate your tires every time you have an oil change, next your tires are going to slide of a wet road and kill you!!
    Haha... I live in AZ. The day I see a wet road....

Kidding. Yeah luckily I just got new tires so I should be ok! Maybe!!
    06-10-08 01:34 PM
    haha thats rough. always check your oil!
    06-10-08 01:45 PM
    Don't forget to top up your blinker fluid!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-08 02:00 PM

Very funny.
    06-10-08 02:25 PM
    I would strongly recommend doing a complete 'Tune up' plugs and wires, air filter and belts. The initial expense can be spendy, but worth it in the long run.
    With proper tire pressure and $4.00 per gal you'll recoup the expense in a short time.
    Ps. The old spark plugs should give an indication if you're burning oil.

06-10-08 02:28 PM
    Crack - (my favourite besides reenee )

I know I def need to do that but... ugh. No Time. Eeeek!
    06-10-08 05:42 PM
    By the time I realized I had no oil, I needed a new engine.... or maybe I needed the new engine casue I had no oil.

Since my car is no longer brand new, it usually cost me a pretty penny when I get stuff done. I'm one of those people that goes for the complete tune up, brakes, tires..... everything I need, all in one day. My mechanic loves to see me coming.
    06-10-08 06:28 PM
    By the time I realized I had no oil, I needed a new engine.... or maybe I needed the new engine casue I had no oil.

Since my car is no longer brand new, it usually cost me a pretty penny when I get stuff done. I'm one of those people that goes for the complete tune up, brakes, tires..... everything I need, all in one day. My mechanic loves to see me coming.
    Ack!! I feel lucky. Didn't your car make any weird noises or let you know that you had no oil?? My poor car was tryin' to tell me for like a month.
    06-10-08 06:35 PM

And muffler grease! Make sure you have plenty of that too!!
    06-10-08 06:52 PM
    It might be worth it to rent a car for a day or two. Leave yours at the mechanic and come back when its done.
    06-10-08 07:15 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD