Hey Guys,

while I was working someone stole my BB Torch off my belt's pouch in a Bar.
    I called Rogers to have the SIM Blocked, but that's all they can do.

Using my sisters blackberry yesterday, I added my pin on her bbm.
    What I found out was someone is using my BB Torch.
    There was a Checkmark with a D and then R, and then she went offline.
    The reason I know it's a female using my phone, is because the name on BBM said (*)MISS LAMBIE(*).

Is there anyway I can get the phone number that she is using, and while Im at work I would be calling the number see if she picks up.

Or locating the device?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
    07-18-11 04:14 PM
    BlackBerry Protect. Did you have it downloaded and set up?
    07-18-11 04:16 PM
    You need to have the device blacklisted, if they even do that over there in Canada.
    Your Torch could be tracked by your carrier via GPS. Will they do it? Not likely.
    With no third-party app like BlackBerry Protect installed, you might just have to bite the bullet and get another phone.
    (I'm assuming you don't have BB Protect installed or else you would've mentioned that already)
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 07-18-11 at 04:23 PM.
    07-18-11 04:18 PM
    but maybe we can all add this pin and keep sending messages that they are using a stolen phone, so at least this miss lambie won't enjoy this stolen phone
    Last edited by PsyCorps; 07-18-11 at 05:13 PM.
    07-18-11 04:35 PM
    I am sorry to hear you lost your Torch.

I have removed the PIN number you posted, there is no way to verify the accuracy of your account and the current holder my be another victim of the original thief.
    07-18-11 05:43 PM
    Thanks Guys,

By the way, yes sorry I did not mention earlier, I did have BB Protect installed and setup, yet it still won't let me locate it.

They switched the sim card and using their own, but the PIN is still the same.

It just sucks how I work hard for my stuff, and some thief is now having fun with my $600 phone..
    07-18-11 06:38 PM
    BlackBerry Protect. Did you have it downloaded and set up?
    Yes I did.
    07-18-11 06:39 PM
    This is the message that I get when I try to locate my device using BB Protect.

"Unable to locate this device. The device might not be connected to the wireless network or it might not be able to obtain its GPS coordinates. Do you want to view the last known location, if available?"
    07-18-11 06:39 PM
    but maybe we can all add this pin and keep sending messages that they are using a stolen phone, so at least this miss lambie won't enjoy this stolen phone
    Thanks bud! That's an awesome idea, but the pin has been removed by the mod, and I don't want to re-post it if it is not allowed, even tho that pin is mine.
    07-18-11 06:41 PM
    Sadly blackberry protect does not work as advertised. I lost my phone and I did have blackberry protect install.

Sadly, it would refuse to locate the device, or block it. All blackberry protect is good for is backing up important information, that's all.

I would recommend reporting to the police, that's what I did and they got in contact with my provider to track the device using the IMEI number, I got my phone 10 days later with a couple scratches on the screen.

Good luck, mate.
    07-18-11 07:02 PM
    Sadly blackberry protect does not work as advertised. I lost my phone and I did have blackberry protect install.

Sadly, it would refuse to locate the device, or block it. All blackberry protect is good for is backing up important information, that's all.

I would recommend reporting to the police, that's what I did and they got in contact with my provider to track the device using the IMEI number, I got my phone 10 days later with a couple scratches on the screen.

Good luck, mate.
    Thanks Bud,
    But with Blackberry Protect I wasn't even able to back up my contents.

Are you in Canada by any chance?
    Because in Canada I don't think the police will take their time to locate a citizens Blackberry Device.. their time apparently is not worth it.. even tho it was theft..
    07-18-11 07:23 PM
    With Blackberry protect you should be able to send a text message that would show on the home screen as well as make the phone ring if you've misplaced it. If it was me, that phone would be going off the hook at all hours of the night. just make it difficult for that person.
    07-18-11 08:09 PM

Good luck, mate.
    +1, go to the police.. at least do that small thing maybe you will get it back. who knows..
    07-18-11 08:13 PM
    Did you try locking the device/setting a new pw? Probably changing the SIM card made most of what BBP might be able to do, ineffective, but for phones with no SIM card BBP can be useful.

CS
    07-18-11 09:07 PM
    Reason why I password my phone...they may steal it, but damned if they use the thing.

Sorry to hear this happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 09:16 PM
    You should try to send her a PIN in a friendly way. Just ask her who she bought the phone from. She'll probably tell you.

Someone stole my brother's phone once. He called them and the guy answered. He bought it off someone else. My brother told him he would pay to get it back but when they met he just took it back. But you should bring people with you for back up just in case its more than one of them.
    07-18-11 10:23 PM
    Don't use BBM. Just keep sending them pin messages. Unless they turn off BIS, they will receive it. With BBM, they can block future invites.

07-19-11 01:09 AM
    Thanks Guys,

By the way, yes sorry I did not mention earlier, I did have BB Protect installed and setup, yet it still won't let me locate it.

They switched the sim card and using their own, but the PIN is still the same.

It just sucks how I work hard for my stuff, and some thief is now having fun with my $600 phone..
    None of that helps.

You need to:

1. Always have a lock screen/pw on the phone.
    2. Always keep the phone in a purse/pocket (yes, I lost my brand new Vibrant in the mall with no lock screen juggling bags - obviously someone swiped it - #NeverAgain )
    3. Try to get the PIN Blocked

The Police 99% of the time won't bother because tons of people get their phones stolen and they simply do not have the resources, even though the phone's worth makes it a felony here.

Carriers here will not track phones via IMEI/GPS without a supoena/Court Order (Good Luck with that, unless its was Attempted Murder, Car Jacking, or soemthing like that).

Your best recourse is to try #3 above. Make the phone as unusable for them as possible.

This is where CDMA shines. A CDMA carrier wouldn't hesitate to Block the ESN. GSM Carriers don't block anything except in some European Countries.
    Last edited by N8ter; 07-19-11 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Some Obvious Spelling Mistakes.
    07-19-11 07:36 AM
    None of that helps.

You need to:

1. Always have a lock screen/pw on the phone.
    2. Always keep the phone in a purse/pocket (yes, I lost my brand new Vibrant in the mall with no lock screen juggling bags - obviously someone swiped it - #NeverAgain )
    3. Try to get the PIN Blocked

The Police 99% of the time won't bother because tons of people get their phones stolen and they simply do not have the resources, even though the phone's worth makes it a felony here.

Carriers here will not track phones via IMEI/GPS without a supoena/Court Order (Good Luck with that, unless its was Attempted Murder, Car Jacking, or soemthing like that).

Your best recourse is to try #3 above. Make the phone as unusable for them as possible.

This is where CDMA shines. A CDMA carrier wouldn't hesitate to Block the ESN. GSM Carriers don't block anything except in some European Countries.
    I have a SIM lock and phone password set up on my BB

Is the phone password effectively useless if someone chooses to re-flash the phone (to an updated OS version for example?)

TIA
    07-19-11 09:29 AM
    Sounds like a goood plan

07-19-11 11:14 AM
    With Blackberry protect you should be able to send a text message that would show on the home screen as well as make the phone ring if you've misplaced it. If it was me, that phone would be going off the hook at all hours of the night. just make it difficult for that person.
    Does prottect work afterr. Deleting the app?
    The persson may have deleted the app

07-19-11 11:17 AM
    Sounds like a goood plan

added the pin with a message that was, lets say, not so nice, got declined after a few minutes, but I bet if there were 1000 people adding this pin that the "fun" they have with the stolen phone would be, let's say, less
    even if the person who uses this phone now is not the actual thief, I think he/she does have a responsibility if they know that the phone is actually "stolen"
    Last edited by PsyCorps; 07-19-11 at 11:38 AM.
    07-19-11 11:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD