Why I pay $30 for a BB plan on top of my phone plan (on Sprint)....?

I'm stuck on a Sprint contract until summer 2012. I have accepted this. But I'm starting to wonder -- now that all modern smartphones basically do the same things, re: messaging, why do I keep paying extra for the BB's special radio network?

I'm not trying to be a troll. This is my second BB and I am quite content with it. A while back I tried an Android phone and promptly switched back to BB.

Just can't help wonder what I'm really getting in a BB that is worth the data plan premium vs. other smartphones that all do the same tasks.
    12-29-10 12:14 AM
    BB run data through RIM's servers....that is why...I'm sure a mod like AmazinglyGraceless(or a few other informative CB members) can fill you in on the details of that...but yea its something to do with RIM's servers
    12-29-10 12:26 AM
    I know that, re: RIM's servers, but if I may be objective -- so what? As long as I get email in a timely manner, why should I care which tech/servers it uses behind the scenes that's worth an extra thirty bucks a month?

Of my friends who have iPhones or Android phones, none ever complained to me about not getting their email, or that BB's email delivery is somehow better. I know it * used to * be better, but not so today.

I still love that I can use my BB one-handed, even with my left hand, and that it's rock-solid, never crashes, and pretty much "just works" like an appliance instead of a computer. My BB doesn't get in my way, unlike what (I presume) the more computer-y phones could.

But my budget is an issue, and I confess to have touchscreen envy.
    12-29-10 12:30 AM
    I feel you...I mean there's more to it than just info running through RIM's servers I just didn't want to incorrectly explain that whole deal...I would love to not have the extra $30 tacked on to my bill lol
    12-29-10 01:03 AM
    Any smartphone has the extra $30ish for data... Whether it be iphone, droid, BB, windows... Its the price you pay for data charges...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 01:33 AM
    BlackBerry email services are supported by RIM's push email system, rather than the DO I HAS MAIL NOW? system other phones rock. Also RIM does jiggery pokery with data compression, too.

Look, a BlackBerry is an email platform first, not a toy phone. If you just want to goof around, then go Win7, Android, or tape a Nokia phone to an iPod Touch.
    Gawain likes this.
    12-29-10 02:57 AM

If you just want to goof around, then go Win7, Android, or tape a Nokia phone to an iPod Touch.
    Possibly the single greatest line I've ever heard in these forums

12-29-10 03:01 AM
    I have Sprint and a Blackberry, and I pay $30 for data, just like I would with ANY Sprint smartphone....... The EVO and EPIC cost $40/mo due to the coming 4G..... Blackberry service is included with all data plans with Sprint....... Not extra

12-29-10 07:26 AM
    Any smartphone has the extra $30ish for data... Whether it be iphone, droid, BB, windows... Its the price you pay for data charges...

I have Sprint and a Blackberry, and I pay $30 for data, just like I would with ANY Sprint smartphone....... The EVO and EPIC cost $40/mo due to the coming 4G..... Blackberry service is included with all data plans with Sprint....... Not extra

I was hoping someone would point this out.

It doesn't make any difference what platform you have, if you use a smartphone on the Sprint network, and want unlimited data, you are going to pay $30. My buddy has an Optimus on Sprint, he pays $30 for data, another buddy has an Evo, $30 for unlimited data, plus $10 for 4G (stupid if you ask me).

This is how it is on ALL carriers except for AT&T. If you want unlimited data on a smart phone with Verizon, T-Mobile, or US Cellular, you're going to have to cough up $30 every month. Now, AT&T no longer offers unlimited data for smartphones unless you're grandfathered in. Your options are 200mb for $15, or 2gb for $25.

VZW and T-Mobile also offer tiered plans, however they still offer unlimited data for $30. With VZW you can choose to have 150mb of data for $15. With T-Mobile, you can get 200mb of data for $15, unless you have an Even More plan, then the price drops to $10.

If you want a premium device, than you're going to have to pay to use it, just a fact of life. Want a Mercedes, well you're going to have to pay to fill it with premium. Want HDTV? Well you're going to have to pony up some charge for that too.
    12-29-10 07:46 AM
    $15 for 150 mb of data is plain highway robbery! 150 mb can be used pretty darn fast! But as long as people pay for it they will charge it.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-29-10 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
    12-29-10 08:22 AM
    I was hoping someone would point this out.

It doesn't make any difference what platform you have, if you use a smartphone on the Sprint network, and want unlimited data, you are going to pay $30. My buddy has an Optimus on Sprint, he pays $30 for data, another buddy has an Evo, $30 for unlimited data, plus $10 for 4G (stupid if you ask me).

This is how it is on ALL carriers except for AT&T. If you want unlimited data on a smart phone with Verizon, T-Mobile, or US Cellular, you're going to have to cough up $30 every month. Now, AT&T no longer offers unlimited data for smartphones unless you're grandfathered in. Your options are 200mb for $15, or 2gb for $25.

VZW and T-Mobile also offer tiered plans, however they still offer unlimited data for $30. With VZW you can choose to have 150mb of data for $15. With T-Mobile, you can get 200mb of data for $15, unless you have an Even More plan, then the price drops to $10.

If you want a premium device, than you're going to have to pay to use it, just a fact of life. Want a Mercedes, well you're going to have to pay to fill it with premium. Want HDTV? Well you're going to have to pony up some charge for that too.
    Very well said.
    12-29-10 08:27 AM
    $15 for 150 mb of data is plain highway robbery! 150 mb can be used pretty darn fast! But as long as people pay for it they will charge it.
    It certainly can be used fast, however there are a fair number of people who use less than that amount.

I recently switched to that 150mb for $15 because I simply don't use a whole lot of data in a month. I went back 6+ months, and the most data I used was 135mb. I don't watch many videos on my BB, nor do I really do much streaming radio, it's almost all messaging and some browsing. So for me it works nicely. Now, I wish that it was 200mb, just for a little additional flexibility, but it's not really that big of an issue.

Currently, I'm 26 days into this billing cycle, and I've used 98.86mb. BBM is my main communication source on my BB, I use FB quite often, and it updates every 3 hours. My Twitter updates every hour, as well as BerryWeather. I really haven't had to change my useage by switching down to the lower plan.
    Last edited by elvin1983; 12-29-10 at 08:30 AM.
    12-29-10 08:27 AM
    I never thought that I would like AT&T's data plans for the BB, but honestly, it really fits my needs. 2GB is more than enough for my monthly usage, as I use it for email, browsing, BerryWeather, Twitter, a little Pandora, and a few other things.

Going from Verizon's unlimited to a capped monthly data plan worried me at first, but I haven't come close to going over.
    12-29-10 08:44 AM
    I had the 9800 (thanks to CrackBerry Idol contest) and had to use AT&T for a month in order to do my review. For one month on their basic plan & 200 MB of data and it cost me $112. I dropped calls, couldn't get text messaging to work (CSR in store was useless) and no protection plan on the phone. On Sprint, I have 3 BlackBerrys all with insurance, unlimited data and text as well as 1500 mins and only pay $163. The main line on Sprint gets a free full upgrade every year. Budget is a huge factor for my family of 5 and I don't see how any other company can compare. I'll deal with the occasional bad CSR and keep my budget-friendly plan thank you very much.
    12-29-10 08:48 AM
    This is exactly my thoughts. I see too many people want everything for free. Do I want it to be free? You bet I do! Am I realistic that I have to pay for what I want and the more I want the more I have to pay? You bet I am.
    12-29-10 09:53 AM
    This is exactly my thoughts. I see too many people want everything for free. Do I want it to be free? You bet I do! Am I realistic that I have to pay for what I want and the more I want the more I have to pay? You bet I am.
    this is the best answer so far i cant comment on this since were i live a plan is way too expensive hence my bb has a prepay sim in it
    12-29-10 10:28 AM
    Why I pay $30 for a BB plan on top of my phone plan (on Sprint)....?

I'm stuck on a Sprint contract until summer 2012. I have accepted this. But I'm starting to wonder -- now that all modern smartphones basically do the same things, re: messaging, why do I keep paying extra for the BB's special radio network?

I'm not trying to be a troll. This is my second BB and I am quite content with it. A while back I tried an Android phone and promptly switched back to BB.

Just can't help wonder what I'm really getting in a BB that is worth the data plan premium vs. other smartphones that all do the same tasks.
    all you need to do is get the everything data blackberry plan which us $70.you woul be sprint premiere in 3 months.unlimited everything.

12-29-10 10:48 AM
    I am still in awe people think that just BB's charge 30 data plans, lol!

Every carrier does it on a smartphone...

Maybe try a dumbphone and get the 10 dollar data plan.

**** I have two smartphones at a grandfathered data rate of 24...so 48 smacks a month just in data charges. Would I love to not have that? Duh! However you have to pay to play. Just how it is.

By the way wifes phone is a mytouch3G...yes, we pay 24 dollars for a data plan, lol!

12-29-10 03:45 PM
    Look, a BlackBerry is an email platform first, not a toy phone. If you just want to goof around, then go Win7, Android, or tape a Nokia phone to an iPod Touch.
    Possibly the single greatest line I've ever heard in these forums

Because that is all these phones do. Absolutely no serious business can be done from these other devices...

Tell me, how big are the toolboxes you both carry around?

Ignorance runs rampant on these forums.
    12-29-10 03:51 PM
    BlackBerry email services are supported by RIM's push email system, rather than the DO I HAS MAIL NOW? system other phones rock. Also RIM does jiggery pokery with data compression, too.

I love it when people come around swinging their little p??-p?? around and really have no clue what they are talking about

Please tell me what that top line says.
    12-29-10 04:00 PM
    Him say ugabugatugawa.................go go gophers watch em go go.
    12-29-10 04:02 PM
    I'm not crying about the plan being expensive. I just thought -- and apparently I was wrong -- that only the BB requires the extra thirty dollars. No need to give an arrogant lecture about it.

PS - My car DOES require premium gas, and I don't mind at all, because (as you bluntly noted) that's what it takes to drive a high-performance vehicle.
    12-29-10 05:22 PM
    That's a very strange reply.
    12-29-10 05:24 PM
    That's a very strange reply.
    You will see a lot like this. BB fanboys think BBs are the only device that can be used seriously. They have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.
    12-29-10 05:40 PM
    I think fanboys are like that regardless of the product. Ford/Chevy, Apple/Commodore, iPhone/BlackBerry, whatever. There are always people whose fandom morphs into foolhardiness.
    12-29-10 05:46 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD