I think it is a good idea, but I think it is a little too late. Skype and Whatsapp are too entrenched, especially here in the USA. Maybe former BB owners who are now on Android/iOS will switch, but what if their circle of contacts has moved off of BB and now the new BBM is useless to them and they stick with iMessage/Facetime/Skype/Whatsapp. I think lots of people just want to use one messaging platform to talk to people, not two or three. Now, if this news came about two or three years ago I think it would be a hit. It is curious BB goes all out to get Whatsapp and Skype in BB10 so we can chat with ex-BBM people and now BBM is going cross platform. This should have been done awhile ago, IMO.

It is kind of like the smartphone platforms. BlackBerry and Windows Phone are nice and are successful in their own merits and are other options, but iOS and Android are just too entrenched at the top to go anywhere for awhile.
    Coming soon and too late seem to be popular sayings when speaking about BB.

Tim
    05-14-13 03:53 PM
    Have you actually used any of these devices? Including a BB10 device?
    The camera is quite excellent on BB10, and has quite a lot of features, a fast shutter, and produces very nice images. Now there's an HDR mode as well.
    Having come from an Android device, I'm nothing but thrilled with this camera. Please don't take it down if you haven't even tried it!

75+ million are not using BlackBerries for BBM alone. They're using it for data compression. BIS. Cheap data plans. Social only data plans. Cheap handsets that are still capable. The best physical keyboards.
    All of those things remain BlackBerry only options. All of them. Except now those people can also chat with people on other platforms through BBM. If anything this would inspire more people to switch to BlackBerry, you can now use their social only plans on legacy devices, and talk to everyone in your friend circle, regardless of what they use.
    I have tried it, thats the end of that one (and tried all the other devices I mentioned as well, just to add the clarity on the S4 is mind blowing !!!)

This furthers another point doesnt it, The data compression plans dont exist on BB10 do they ? I was told that if i upgrade to a BB10 device that I lose my original e mail address that was associated with my ID on my BB 7 device, if anything one less reason to urgrade to to BB10

The point I'm making is that this was a unique feature, and the more unique features that get taken away surely dont make the phone as attractive regardless of how small or big they are. It was still a feature no other phone had !!!!

People are not going to switch to BB because its cross platform, that is not going to happen thats my point they dont need too now !! They havent needed to because for the last number of years they've made done with with the other apps that work fine. You dont need a BB for the messenger but you're saying people are going to switch to Blackberry for this ???? It's available on any phone now...I just can't see what you're saying ???

People are going to come to BB because its cross platform now???? No people dont need a blackberry because its cross platform now !!!

Guys we're just going to have to agree to disagree, personally I think its the wrong move.

I love you all stay safe.
    05-14-13 03:54 PM
    [QUOTE=bmantz65;8479119]. It is curious BB goes all out to get Whatsapp and Skype in BB10 so we can chat with ex-BBM people and now BBM is going cross platform..

There it is
    05-14-13 03:58 PM
    The Z10 camera is better than a lot of the competition. The majority of Z10 owners do NOT have this rebooting issue. Stop generalizing. This and the Q10 are great devices without even taking BBM into account.
    Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 04:01 PM
    I would not recommend it due to the OS issues. Has nothing to do with the apps. We have GTalk, Yahoo, Facebook, some have Skype etc etc. BBM will just be another way of chatting.

I am not real sure how well it will catch on in the Apple and Droid worlds though.

Tim
    If it doesn't catch on with the apple and droid worlds then whos left ??

As i said earlier I think its the wrong move but thats just me.

Once again stay safe all and its good night from London.
    05-14-13 04:01 PM
    Thats not the point, I was attracted to a phone for its superior messaging system. The reboots certainly weren't going to tempt me. if I can keep in touch with my family on BB through other devices then this opens to door to not even consider BB for that option anymore thats the point.

And if we're honest no phone is worth 700 dollars, I would have upgraded (here in the Uk once your deal expires usually after 2 years you can "upgrade" to a new handset which is usually for another 2 years)
    The reboots are in a select amount of devices... mine doesn't reboot and a great number of them don't.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 04:29 PM
    If it doesn't catch on with the apple and droid worlds then whos left ??

As i said earlier I think its the wrong move but thats just me.

Once again stay safe all and its good night from London.
    Hmm you are under the impression that blackberry is dying and that all Z10s reboot. I haven't heard any cases of Q10s rebooting except for maybe in the US where all great frauds seem to happen lately.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 04:32 PM
    I have tried it, thats the end of that one (and tried all the other devices I mentioned as well, just to add the clarity on the S4 is mind blowing !!!)

This furthers another point doesnt it, The data compression plans dont exist on BB10 do they ? I was told that if i upgrade to a BB10 device that I lose my original e mail address that was associated with my ID on my BB 7 device, if anything one less reason to urgrade to to BB10

The point I'm making is that this was a unique feature, and the more unique features that get taken away surely dont make the phone as attractive regardless of how small or big they are. It was still a feature no other phone had !!!!

People are not going to switch to BB because its cross platform, that is not going to happen thats my point they dont need too now !! They havent needed to because for the last number of years they've made done with with the other apps that work fine. You dont need a BB for the messenger but you're saying people are going to switch to Blackberry for this ???? It's available on any phone now...I just can't see what you're saying ???

People are going to come to BB because its cross platform now???? No people dont need a blackberry because its cross platform now !!!

Guys we're just going to have to agree to disagree, personally I think its the wrong move.

I love you all stay safe.
    You're right, the BB only email addresses are gone on BB10, at least so far.
    So is data compression. So is a trackpad. And I miss them all dearly. I really do.
    But having a chat app that allows me to chat to all my family and friends, rather than multiple apps to cover people on different platforms, that's a win in my book.
    I really like the way you're discussing this though, honestly.
    Have a safe and peaceful night.
    05-14-13 04:48 PM
    There are obviously upsides and downsides. Just have to trust that BlackBerry weighed things and thinks this is a net positive.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    05-14-13 04:50 PM
34 12