When my brother upgraded to an I Phone 5 he said to me �Why don�t you come over to apple and leave BB�

I said to him �Provide me with a phone that has an impregnable messaging system with delivery and read verification and I�m there�.

If BB is making the messenger cross platform why on earth would I now want to buy a phone (Z10 ) that has rebooting issues, battery issues lack of necessary apps (banking to name a few) if the messenger is now available cross platform. This was the one Ace of spades they had up their sleeves and now it�s gone????
    05-14-13 01:48 PM
    I'll handle this folks...

BBM across all platforms provides a reason for Android/IOS users to think positively about software with the name Blackberry. With the ability to compete wtih skype, kik, whatsapp that's good. It will screen share, BBM Video, VOIP call. Lots of users to say, "Hey lets chat over BBM."
    They're favourite messaging APP will be a blackberry app. That ain't bad.
    bobauckland and southlander like this.
    05-14-13 01:56 PM
    When my brother upgraded to an I Phone 5 he said to me �Why don�t you come over to apple and leave BB�

I said to him �Provide me with a phone that has an impregnable messaging system with delivery and read verification and I�m there�.

If BB is making the messenger cross platform why on earth would I now want to buy a phone (Z10 ) that has rebooting issues, battery issues lack of necessary apps (banking to name a few) if the messenger is now available cross platform. This was the one Ace of spades they had up their sleeves and now it�s gone????
    A chat app is not the main or only reason many buy a certain phone.

Might be for you but for many it is not.

In the U.S. BBM is not as widely used. Thus this may help bring folks back and actually make BBM useful for many.

It also falls in line with the Enterprise use as the new BlackBerry backend software they use handles Droid and IPhone.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    southlander likes this.
    05-14-13 02:17 PM
    I'll handle this folks...

BBM across all platforms provides a reason for Android/IOS users to think positively about software with the name Blackberry. With the ability to compete wtih skype, kik, whatsapp that's good. It will screen share, BBM Video, VOIP call. Lots of users to say, "Hey lets chat over BBM."
    They're favourite messaging APP will be a blackberry app. That ain't bad.
    But why will it be if people are already using Skype ? How many people have been screaming for the Skype app on blackberry ? All I've read is when is 10.1 being released so I can use Skype

If people already have a very good communication tool they're not going to stop using it now, they just wont.
    05-14-13 02:22 PM
    But why will it be if people are already using Skype ? How many people have been screaming for the Skype app on blackberry ? All I've read is when is 10.1 being released so I can use Skype

If people already have a very good communication tool they're not going to stop using it now, they just wont.
    And I think this a very valid point. Yes, it helps with mindshare, but I am not buying the proclamations of the demise of Whatsapp and Skype. For one, the initial build won't even have videochat capabilities, correct?
    05-14-13 02:27 PM
    A chat app is not the main or only reason many buy a certain phone.

Might be for you but for many it is not.

In the U.S. BBM is not as widely used. Thus this may help bring folks back and actually make BBM useful for many.

It also falls in line with the Enterprise use as the new BlackBerry backend software they use handles Droid and IPhone.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Tim I will completely agree with you that an app is not the only reason to buy a phone but if you have family members around the globe for example who happen to be on BB then you may lean towards buying a BB device is my point. If on one hand I have a phone that reboots, has poor battery, camera shots not as good as the competition but think the one thing they had was a superior messaging system to keep in touch with nearest and dearest you may think I'll ride out these faults and go towards BB but now your going to think the apps I really need (Banking, maps that work) and BB messaging system on cross platform then its a straight I'll go to a tried and tested successful platform.

You said yourself yesterday that you would not recommend the Z10 to anyone. If the one thing it had was the messenger now thats not even unique.
    Last edited by arts02; 05-14-13 at 02:32 PM. Reason: text
    05-14-13 02:28 PM
    When my brother upgraded to an I Phone 5 he said to me “Why don’t you come over to apple and leave BB”

I said to him “Provide me with a phone that has an impregnable messaging system with delivery and read verification and I’m there”.

If BB is making the messenger cross platform why on earth would I now want to buy a phone (Z10 ) that has rebooting issues, battery issues lack of necessary apps (banking to name a few) if the messenger is now available cross platform. This was the one Ace of spades they had up their sleeves and now it’s gone????
    You were gonna buy a 700+ dollar Z10 just for BBM? Sorry, I don't believe you.
    Dave Bourque and MarsupilamiX like this.
    05-14-13 02:30 PM
    You were gonna buy a 700+ dollar Z10 just for BBM? Sorry, I don't believe you.
    Thats not the point, I was attracted to a phone for its superior messaging system. The reboots certainly weren't going to tempt me. if I can keep in touch with my family on BB through other devices then this opens to door to not even consider BB for that option anymore thats the point.

And if we're honest no phone is worth 700 dollars, I would have upgraded (here in the Uk once your deal expires usually after 2 years you can "upgrade" to a new handset which is usually for another 2 years)
    05-14-13 02:37 PM
    Just did a Skype video call with my brother and the video/ voice quality was rubbish.

The same cannot be said for BBM video. The video and audio quality is outstanding even over the cell network.

BlackBerry has always had a winner with BBM. Now others will see that first hand! This alone will bring new customers to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 02:44 PM
    Just did a Skype video call with my brother and the video/ voice quality was rubbish.

The same cannot be said for BBM video. The video and audio quality is outstanding even over the cell network.

BlackBerry has always had a winner with BBM. Now others will see that first hand! This alone will bring new customers to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    But why would you buy a Blackberry for this if its available across all platforms ??
    05-14-13 02:46 PM
    BBM is good but no body is using it anymore, so how does it hurt. Only a stupid person will buy Z10 for BBM when majority of the contact probably don't have it. Now it would he an option, plus they have it better integrated on BlackBerry 10 than other OS. So still can be a good reason.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 02:48 PM
    BBM is good but no body is using it anymore, so how does it hurt. Only a stupid person will buy Z10 for BBM when majority of the contact probably don't have it. Now it would he an option, plus they have it better integrated on BlackBerry 10 than other OS. So still can be a good reason.

Posted via CB10
    How does that work ???? "BBM is good but no one is using it anymore"

Well it can't be that good then ???
    05-14-13 02:50 PM
    Thats not the point, I was attracted to a phone for its superior messaging system. The reboots certainly weren't going to tempt me. if I can keep in touch with my family on BB through other devices then this opens to door to not even consider BB for that option anymore thats the point.

And if we're honest no phone is worth 700 dollars, I would have upgraded (here in the Uk once your deal expires usually after 2 years you can "upgrade" to a new handset which is usually for another 2 years)
    I'm still not seeing what you're saying.
    If messaging was the only thing keeping you on a BlackBerry you'd get another phone and get your family on viber or WhatsApp, which are both available on legacy BlackBerries as well.
    People are getting bb10 devices for the keyboard, for the chances of this system growing exponentially, for the user experience.
    Lack of cross platform proper chat was a problem, not a benefit.
    Not after today.
    We don't need viber, not Skype, not WhatsApp, not anything. BBM can now be THE cross platform chat app.

Posted via CB10
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    05-14-13 02:50 PM
    Nobody uses BBM anymore. Now that's funny. 60 million funny

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 02:56 PM
    The Z10 camera is better than a lot of the competition. The majority of Z10 owners do NOT have this rebooting issue. Stop generalizing. This and the Q10 are great devices without even taking BBM into account.
    05-14-13 03:01 PM
    I'm still not seeing what you're saying.
    If messaging was the only thing keeping you on a BlackBerry you'd get another phone and get your family on viber or WhatsApp, which are both available on legacy BlackBerries as well.
    People are getting bb10 devices for the keyboard, for the chances of this system growing exponentially, for the user experience.
    Lack of cross platform proper chat was a problem, not a benefit.
    Not after today.
    We don't need viber, not Skype, not WhatsApp, not anything. BBM can now be THE cross platform chat app.

Posted via CB10
    Ok say for example I have x number of family members on blackberry. They have older blackberry phones as they are not due for there upgrade yet but mine is. I'm thinking ahh the Z10 is a step in the right direction, a few faults (thats being polite) but hopefully these will get fixed as time goes on but keeping in touch with over BB is an attraction and the faults maybe will get fixed in time. Now if BB is cross platform I'm thinking why do I need a phone with faults, why not get one that is tried and tested and use the BB messenger on that platform.

Your saying we dont need viber skype or Whatts app because BBM will be the cross platform chat, people are saying we dont BBM because we have skype, viber, imessage etc.

No iphone user is going to use BBM to video chat when they have been doing this for the last 3 years, and Skype has its own place. This won't be the cross platform chat because people have been cross platforming for years now.

The BB messenger was always a good way to communicate and would maybe draw you towards BB but if its available every where then wheres the USP ? My point why do I need get a phone that has software issues because x number of my family are on BB if the chat option is now available on any phone. They will no longer need a BB. The keyboard isnt going to keep people hanging more than the messenger is what I think.
    Last edited by arts02; 05-14-13 at 03:10 PM. Reason: text
    05-14-13 03:08 PM
    People stopped buying BlackBerry's for BBM awhile ago. Why buy BB over apple?security that cant be matched, the best at emailing, msging and phone calls, best mobile browser out there should i continue?
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    05-14-13 03:08 PM
    Guys its not going cross platform to woo buyers......it's to keep 75+ million people on blackberry. The phone will sell itself to attract new buyers.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 03:13 PM
    The Z10 camera is better than a lot of the competition. The majority of Z10 owners do NOT have this rebooting issue. Stop generalizing. This and the Q10 are great devices without even taking BBM into account.
    Agree the majority do not have a reboot issue but it is an issue that can't be ignored as it's happening more to more people that it should (going by forums)

As for the camera, competition I see (going by phones released at the same time)
    HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4, Nokia Lumina, I Phone 5 (panoramic option) and eventhe Sony Xperian Z all have better cameras in my opinion.

The Q10 agreed is a good phone, But I dont see the avergae I phone or Samsung user to jumping to this. Strictly corporate I feel (not a bad thing it will sell but just dont see it taking on the big guns ie the average person walking into a phone shop and saying Q10 please)
    Last edited by arts02; 05-14-13 at 03:23 PM. Reason: text
    05-14-13 03:22 PM
    Guys its not going cross platform to woo buyers......it's to keep 75+ million people on blackberry. The phone will sell itself to attract new buyers.

Posted via CB10
    This could work both ways, If 75+ million are using BB Messenger can't the view be taken that people dont a BB for this so the numbers will drop is the point i'm trying to make.

75+ million people have BB to use BB messenger. I dont need a BB for this now....
    05-14-13 03:25 PM
    Ok say for example I have x number of family members on blackberry. They have older blackberry phones as they are not due for there upgrade yet but mine is. I'm thinking ahh the Z10 is a step in the right direction, a few faults (thats being polite) but hopefully these will get fixed as time goes on but keeping in touch with over BB is an attraction and the faults maybe will get fixed in time. Now if BB is cross platform I'm thinking why do I need a phone with faults, why not get one that is tried and tested and use the BB messenger on that platform.

Your saying we dont need viber skype or Whatts app because BBM will be the cross platform chat, people are saying we dont BBM because we have skype, viber, imessage etc.

No iphone user is going to use BBM to video chat when they have been doing this for the last 3 years, and Skype has its own place. This won't be the cross platform chat because people have been cross platforming for years now.

The BB messenger was always a good way to communicate and would maybe draw you towards BB but if its available every where then wheres the USP ? My point why do I need get a phone that has software issues because x number of my family are on BB if the chat option is now available on any phone. They will no longer need a BB. The keyboard isnt going to keep people hanging more than the messenger is what I think.
    You're right, the Z10 has bugs. It's also rapidly improving, each new update brings features and excitement in most owners. It also has a pretty awesome UI which is a great base to work from. That's what will sell these phones, they live and die by what they've done in those aspects.
    If all that mattered was a keyboard and BBM, we'd have more legacy devices. BB10 is an attempt to bring more to the table.
    Show me a phone with absolutely no issues, and I'll show you an ignorant user of that phone, every phone has issues.

There's plenty of cross platform apps, you're quite right, but I still feel nobody has users that are salespeople like BlackBerry. We sell our family and friends on these devices and services, other companies have to rely on their marketing and product to sell itself.
    I think BlackBerry users will do a great job in getting people to move to BBM, and this is greatly aided by the fantastic decision to make it free on other OSes. Easy sell.

They are not selling this phone on BBM alone. There's plenty of reasons to get it, try it, and stick with it as it grows. And it is growing, fast.
    BBM cross platform is just one of those reasons. Now my BBM list will actually have other users I can video chat with.
    05-14-13 03:26 PM
    I do get the OP's point. I came from an iphone and after I switched to Z10, I had to pay AT&T 20 bucks more during the first month as I was still texting iphone users and without the benefit of imessage. Since my wife has an iphone, I have been looking forward to getting Skype as this will allow me to text her without using my text allotment from AT&T. Now as I supposed a lot of people uses Skype or Whatssap and any other messaging device out there, what is the benefit of BBM going cross platform?

If quality is indeed better via BBM, then I see that it will be a huge difference and may likely entice non BBM users into using this service. If not, then it will just be another messenger app out there. Still the question remains, what is the biggest benefit of BBM going cross platform?

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 03:27 PM
    Agree the majority do not have a reboot issue but it is an issue that can't be ignored as it's happening more to more people that it should (going by forums)

As for the camera, competition I see (going by phones released at the same time)
    HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4, Nokia Lumina, I Phone 5 (panoramic option) and eventhe Sony Xperian Z all have better cameras in my opinion.

The Q10 agreed is a good phone, But I dont see the avergae I phone or Samsung user to jumping to this. Strictly corporate I feel (not a bad thing it will sell but just dont see it taking on the big guns ie the average person walking into a phone shop and saying Q10 please)
    Have you actually used any of these devices? Including a BB10 device?
    The camera is quite excellent on BB10, and has quite a lot of features, a fast shutter, and produces very nice images. Now there's an HDR mode as well.
    Having come from an Android device, I'm nothing but thrilled with this camera. Please don't take it down if you haven't even tried it!

This could work both ways, If 75+ million are using BB Messenger can't the view be taken that people dont a BB for this so the numbers will drop is the point i'm trying to make.

75+ million people have BB to use BB messenger. I dont need a BB for this now....
    75+ million are not using BlackBerries for BBM alone. They're using it for data compression. BIS. Cheap data plans. Social only data plans. Cheap handsets that are still capable. The best physical keyboards.
    All of those things remain BlackBerry only options. All of them. Except now those people can also chat with people on other platforms through BBM. If anything this would inspire more people to switch to BlackBerry, you can now use their social only plans on legacy devices, and talk to everyone in your friend circle, regardless of what they use.
    05-14-13 03:30 PM
    I think it is a good idea, but I think it is a little too late. Skype and Whatsapp are too entrenched, especially here in the USA. Maybe former BB owners who are now on Android/iOS will switch, but what if their circle of contacts has moved off of BB and now the new BBM is useless to them and they stick with iMessage/Facetime/Skype/Whatsapp. I think lots of people just want to use one messaging platform to talk to people, not two or three. Now, if this news came about two or three years ago I think it would be a hit. It is curious BB goes all out to get Whatsapp and Skype in BB10 so we can chat with ex-BBM people and now BBM is going cross platform. This should have been done awhile ago, IMO.

It is kind of like the smartphone platforms. BlackBerry and Windows Phone are nice and are successful in their own merits and are other options, but iOS and Android are just too entrenched at the top to go anywhere for awhile.
    05-14-13 03:48 PM
    Tim I will completely agree with you that an app is not the only reason to buy a phone but if you have family members around the globe for example who happen to be on BB then you may lean towards buying a BB device is my point. If on one hand I have a phone that reboots, has poor battery, camera shots not as good as the competition but think the one thing they had was a superior messaging system to keep in touch with nearest and dearest you may think I'll ride out these faults and go towards BB but now your going to think the apps I really need (Banking, maps that work) and BB messaging system on cross platform then its a straight I'll go to a tried and tested successful platform.

You said yourself yesterday that you would not recommend the Z10 to anyone. If the one thing it had was the messenger now thats not even unique.
    I would not recommend it due to the OS issues. Has nothing to do with the apps. We have GTalk, Yahoo, Facebook, some have Skype etc etc. BBM will just be another way of chatting.

I am not real sure how well it will catch on in the Apple and Droid worlds though.

Tim
    05-14-13 03:52 PM
34 12