Hello all...I am new to the blackberry world and have some questions....

First off, I have the 8830 from verizon. The "loud" ringer is hardly audible...from my searching it looks like this is a software issue and a fix is in the works?

2nd, I got the Gmail app installed.... first day I had it I got mail notifications almost instantly and got a little icon at the top. 1 day later I no longer get the notifications and mail takes 20+ minutes to show up in my mail unless I manually refresh. Under gmail in the profile it appears that notifications are setup...

3rd, Jivetalk seems to be the way to go for aim messaging.... this uses data and not text messages correct? Also, does this go through some Jive server? or directly to AIM?

4th, I read a tutorial on this site about changing the Background image. I got one emailed over as an attachment and link. Once I open the attachment, the only menu item I have is back, nothing that would let me save it. Same deal if I open the link. Am I missing something here?

Thats all for now, thanks for any help.....
    02-13-08 03:54 PM
    1. Yes the ringer volume is a software thing - who knows if it will ever be fixed.

2. Depends what kind of mood Gmail is in at any given time, it should be instant but can take anywhere upwards of 15min sometimes

3. JiveTalk uses data for everything. Not sure what you mean exactly about the server, but I suppose it goes "directly to AIM"

4. when you view the attachment sent to you, hit the menu key and you should have options to save etc.
    02-13-08 05:06 PM
    1. Yes the ringer volume is a software thing - who knows if it will ever be fixed.

2. Depends what kind of mood Gmail is in at any given time, it should be instant but can take anywhere upwards of 15min sometimes

3. JiveTalk uses data for everything. Not sure what you mean exactly about the server, but I suppose it goes "directly to AIM"

4. when you view the attachment sent to you, hit the menu key and you should have options to save etc.
    Thanks for the reply....

Regarding #2, why would I stop getting the notifications on the top of the screen though?

Regarding #3, I meant do the IMs go through a jive server before they reach AIMs servers...but it looks like they go right to AIM.

A new question.... when using google maps, the address is always approximate.... does this have to do with verizon locking down the GPS on the 8830 to only vz navigator?

Thanks again.
    02-13-08 05:35 PM
    If you use the Gmail app you wont get notifications on the home screen aside from the Gmail icon - only if you have your Gmail account pushed to your BB will you see notifications.

I don't think there is a "Jive Server" - just straight to whatever service.

Google maps on Verizon will give you only approximations based on cell towers (I believe) and not actual pinpoint GPS locations.
    02-13-08 05:37 PM
    Wouldn't Google Maps use the GPS if you have a GPS BB? I own a 7100 and it does use the cell towers (no GPS), but I would think that it would work for like the Curve that way. Just a thought?
    02-13-08 07:02 PM
    Unfortunately, you must subscribe to Verizon's gps service to enable the gps on the device. It is locked to outside applications without that subscription (BOOOOO!).
    02-13-08 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD