Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 91
Like Tree15Likes
  1. jpaulo604's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    67 Posts
    #51  

    Default

    Couldn't it be some bug on the library / java that Google Maps uses and it has a problem on the newer OSes ?

    JP
  2. jpaulo604's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    67 Posts
    #52  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    And, in the Google sync thread and front page post, it was pointed out that Google announced a long time ago that they'd end BB support in September. So we got over 2 extra months. Now it's time to see if they're here for BB10 and just dropped support for what will rapidly become legacy OSes. Or will they become fully competitors with no support for anything RIM?
    But i use Google Maps everyday, including today and it is working fine.

    I don't think that's it.

    JP
  3. kumbafu's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #53  

    Default

    whatever you do dont reset to clear cache as that'll break it because you have to accept the terms and conditions and the app freezes up and crashes at that point
  4. wing2299's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    216 Posts
    #54  
    Thanked by 2:
    BigBadWulf (12-14-2012),  svelt (12-15-2012) 
  5. kevinnugent's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,113 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,238 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E
    #55  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericdude View Post
    I'm really beginning to hate google on a principles level. ..... Bing anyone?

    On a sinde note, using google chrome at the moment, and the spell check wants me to capitalize goolge, but not Bing.... what a bunch of self indulging d0uche bags!

    easter egg this beeotches! ww.bing.com
    Why shoot yourself in the foot to spite them? Bing is terrible.
  6. kevinnugent's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,113 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,238 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E
    #56  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by svelt View Post
    I like BB Traffic and use it for GPS on the road. Its main weakness is that it requires an address. i.e. I wanted to get to a ferry terminal - there is no address for that here. Google maps immediately mapped out the route for me. On another instance, I was looking for a Korean restaurant nearby - again GMaps did it for me in seconds. Is there another way? Sure... I could have googled an address nearby the ferry terminal and got BB traffic to get directions to there, or I could have googled Korean restaurants and then placed them individually on a map to see which one was close. Point is, Google maps is the best navigation service all-round on the BlackBerry and to lose it is a major blow...
    BB Traffic's main weakness is it only works in 10% of the world. US and Canada. The rest of us are blanked out, and we're their main customers! Irony.
  7. TheScionicMan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,766 Posts
    #57  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by svelt View Post
    I like BB Traffic and use it for GPS on the road. Its main weakness is that it requires an address. i.e. I wanted to get to a ferry terminal - there is no address for that here. Google maps immediately mapped out the route for me. On another instance, I was looking for a Korean restaurant nearby - again GMaps did it for me in seconds. Is there another way? Sure... I could have googled an address nearby the ferry terminal and got BB traffic to get directions to there, or I could have googled Korean restaurants and then placed them individually on a map to see which one was close. Point is, Google maps is the best navigation service all-round on the BlackBerry and to lose it is a major blow...
    BB Traffic has a search function, you don't have to have an address. It uses Bing Local search and is usually quite accurate. The only thing I miss from Google Maps is the voice search
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
  8. BigBadWulf's Avatar

    Posts
    35,112 Posts
    Global Posts
    35,137 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang
    #58  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wing2299 View Post
    Thanks! I've added the link in the OP
    WAPers do it With A Passion

    Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

    BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
  9. Phill_UK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

    Posts
    12,709 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts
    #59  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpaulo604 View Post
    Couldn't it be some bug on the library / java that Google Maps uses and it has a problem on the newer OSes ?

    JP
    Unfortunately this issue has nothing to do with the OS you're running... it's purely to do with new installations of the app, and being unable to accept the T&C.
    That's Phill with 2 L's
  10. angelovely's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #60  

    Default

    HURRAY! Got it working again!

    One simple workaround is to install Google Maps v3 (see link here : http://forums.crackberry.com/general...new-os-757894/), then launch it to accept the Terms and Conditions, and then to install the newest version 4.5.3. Worked for me so I hope it will fix the issue for everyone else too!

    Thanks to "lowest" from the other topic for the idea
  11. Konrad58's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #61  

    Default

    HURRAY X2 !

    I spent hours today trying to figure out how to get my google maps working after I performed the now unnecessary OS update. Installing Google maps V3, acknowledging the terms, then installing the latest 4.5.3 worked PERFECT! Such a relief, I got really accustomed to using google maps over bbmaps/bbtraffic. Nothing beats voice search when you're on the road and quickly need to find something without typing.

    Thanks!
  12. EsJayDee's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    400 Posts
    Global Posts
    402 Global Posts
    #62  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BB-Bmore View Post
    Wow Im ready to dump Google all together this is a slap in the face! Yet they build maps for ios? Makes no sense to me.
    Not anymore.
    Please disregard my typos, I'm using Apple products.

    Can't Live Without Green If You Know What I Mean.
  13. bp3dots's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,078 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,500 Global Posts
    PIN
    There is no PIN.
    #63  

    Default

    I don't get why everyone is so mad at Google.

    They make their money off of advertising, (predominately) and the more people who use their apps, the better, which is why they make them for the most popular platforms, even if they are competing with Android. The do, however, have to decide if dedicating the resources to keep old BBOS apps compatabile is worth it. considering that they are likely working on the apps for BB10, it's not too farfetched to believe that they just had to cut the old OS's loose.

    It is also possible that they don't see enough benefit in it to continue supporting BB at all (much like they announced they won't be building apps for WP8 at this time) If that is the case, then you have 2 other platform choices that makes Maps available for those who depend on it. If they did decide to cut back their best apps to Android only, it would be no different than RIM keeping BBM to only BB.

    I doubt that the risk of losing current Android users to BB10 is driving the change, seeing as how they give Android away to OEMs for free, because the OS itself isn't their money maker.

    And the kicker, anyone who runs unofficial OS verisons shouldn't be in any way surprised that things don't always continue to work.
    It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.

    -Sir Winston Churchill
  14. EsJayDee's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    400 Posts
    Global Posts
    402 Global Posts
    #64  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    I don't get why everyone is so mad at Google.

    They make their money off of advertising, (predominately) and the more people who use their apps, the better, which is why they make them for the most popular platforms, even if they are competing with Android. The do, however, have to decide if dedicating the resources to keep old BBOS apps compatabile is worth it. considering that they are likely working on the apps for BB10, it's not too farfetched to believe that they just had to cut the old OS's loose.

    It is also possible that they don't see enough benefit in it to continue supporting BB at all (much like they announced they won't be building apps for WP8 at this time) If that is the case, then you have 2 other platform choices that makes Maps available for those who depend on it. If they did decide to cut back their best apps to Android only, it would be no different than RIM keeping BBM to only BB.

    I doubt that the risk of losing current Android users to BB10 is driving the change, seeing as how they give Android away to OEMs for free, because the OS itself isn't their money maker.

    And the kicker, anyone who runs unofficial OS verisons shouldn't be in any way surprised that things don't always continue to work.

    Except for the fact that bbm has never been offered on other platforms, but google services have ..
    Please disregard my typos, I'm using Apple products.

    Can't Live Without Green If You Know What I Mean.
  15. svelt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #65  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wing2299 View Post
    WE'RE SAVED!
    Until they break it again. But thanks x10000. This was tremendously helpful.
  16. BigBadWulf's Avatar

    Posts
    35,112 Posts
    Global Posts
    35,137 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang
    #66  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    I don't get why everyone is so mad at Google.

    They make their money off of advertising, (predominately) and the more people who use their apps, the better, which is why they make them for the most popular platforms, even if they are competing with Android. The do, however, have to decide if dedicating the resources to keep old BBOS apps compatabile is worth it. considering that they are likely working on the apps for BB10, it's not too farfetched to believe that they just had to cut the old OS's loose.

    It is also possible that they don't see enough benefit in it to continue supporting BB at all (much like they announced they won't be building apps for WP8 at this time) If that is the case, then you have 2 other platform choices that makes Maps available for those who depend on it. If they did decide to cut back their best apps to Android only, it would be no different than RIM keeping BBM to only BB.

    I doubt that the risk of losing current Android users to BB10 is driving the change, seeing as how they give Android away to OEMs for free, because the OS itself isn't their money maker.

    And the kicker, anyone who runs unofficial OS verisons shouldn't be in any way surprised that things don't always continue to work.
    There is no advertising on GM
    WAPers do it With A Passion

    Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

    BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
  17. Phill_UK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

    Posts
    12,709 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts
    #67  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    And the kicker, anyone who runs unofficial OS verisons shouldn't be in any way surprised that things don't always continue to work.
    That's not a kicker... it's misinformation.
    That's Phill with 2 L's
    BigBadWulf likes this.
  18. DenverRalphy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,148 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,718 Global Posts
    PIN
    Temporarily sans BB
    #68  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EsJayDee View Post
    Not anymore.
    What do you mean by "Not anymore"? Only a few days ago the new Google Maps app for iOS was released, and it's received very positive reviews.
  19. texazzpete's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,579 Posts
    #69  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    The do, however, have to decide if dedicating the resources to keep old BBOS apps compatabile is worth it. considering that they are likely working on the apps for BB10, it's not too farfetched to believe that they just had to cut the old OS's loose.
    You know, after the stunt they pulled with WP, I dunno if they can be trusted to deliver the goods for BB10.

    Either way, we'll probably sideload the Android version if it comes to that.
  20. Jonesy1966's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    806 Posts
    #70  

    Default

    I know I'm one of the few, but I have no interest in Google Maps. BB Maps works just great through Traffic and all I need is voice assist and accuracy and I get both with that combo and there's no need for me to keep looking at the screen. I'll be honest with you, I've never understood what the big deal is regarding Google Maps. As long as what I have works, then I'm happy.
  21. TheScionicMan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,766 Posts
    #71  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy1966 View Post
    I know I'm one of the few, but I have no interest in Google Maps. BB Maps works just great through Traffic and all I need is voice assist and accuracy and I get both with that combo and there's no need for me to keep looking at the screen. I'll be honest with you, I've never understood what the big deal is regarding Google Maps. As long as what I have works, then I'm happy.
    And that's why some of these people are unhappy, because what they have stopped working. Is it really that hard to understand?
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
  22. bp3dots's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,078 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,500 Global Posts
    PIN
    There is no PIN.
    #72  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EsJayDee View Post
    Except for the fact that bbm has never been offered on other platforms, but google services have ..
    Never said it was. Simply that if Google decided to restrict their products in the future, it would be the same type of decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWulf View Post
    There is no advertising on GM
    [Solved] Warning: Do not install any new os or update if you plan on using google maps-screenshot_2012-12-15-17-03-48.jpg Also, it provides access to various links which will drive traffic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phill_UK View Post
    That's not a kicker... it's misinformation.
    In what way? I have yet to see any unofficial development converstaion which states that compatibility will absolutely not be affected. If fact, the usually start with statements like "Install at your own risk" or "I am not responsible if this borks/bricks/explodes your device." There is a reason app makers, carriers, and OS creators have to test things before updates go public.
    It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.

    -Sir Winston Churchill
  23. Phill_UK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

    Posts
    12,709 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts
    #73  

    Default

    Do you even own a BlackBerry?
    That's Phill with 2 L's
  24. BigBadWulf's Avatar

    Posts
    35,112 Posts
    Global Posts
    35,137 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang
    #74  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-15-17-03-48.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	128414 Also, it provides access to various links which will drive traffic.
    That's not Google Maps on a BlackBerry.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phill_UK View Post
    Do you even own a BlackBerry?
    I'll answer that.

    No
    WAPers do it With A Passion

    Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

    BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
  25. bp3dots's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,078 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,500 Global Posts
    PIN
    There is no PIN.
    #75  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWulf View Post
    That's not Google Maps on a BlackBerry.
    Fair enough, I don't have a live BB here, so used my phone. I'll take your word for it that the BB version doesn't until I can check myself. However, even without the banner ad, you still get access to various links that would allow Google to get their ads out to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWulf View Post
    I'll answer that.

    No
    Thanks for answering for me. No, I don't use one now, I have in the past and left when they no longer met my needs. I do, however, sell them. (As well as other platforms obviously) So I do stay active in the community and do my best to give fair opinions and information. In this case, pointing out that Google was likely scrapping legacy updates (the app worked on phones that hadn't been updated to unofficial OS versions) in favor of working on the new app for BB10. (Speculation, but not unreasonable)
    Last edited by bp3dots; 12-15-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Formatting
    It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.

    -Sir Winston Churchill
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Do not install [ANY] Android App
    By varunsain in forum PlayBook Apps & Games
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 02:43 PM
  2. It's official: OS .282 is crap. Do not install this!
    By bmwmpower in forum BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 07-19-2009, 02:37 AM
  3. Any tips on installing the new OS?
    By mzdrati in forum Storm OS Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 08:15 PM
  4. DM does not upgrade Storm to any new OS.
    By Stormer1122 in forum Storm OS Discussion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-28-2009, 10:18 PM
  5. WARNING: DO NOT PURCHASE MP3s from Yahoo! Music for ANY Blackberry
    By mdattorney in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions