I'm watching the news and I see that more teens are getting in wrecks and dying from texting and driving. Well, this idea goes more towards people in general. What if there was a small micro chip in the drivers side of your door that could recognize when people were in the drivers seat. What would happen is software would be built into your device and this micro chip and when your driving, you can't use your phone at all and the only time it can be used is through your voice. As for others in the car, they can use their devices because they aren't in the drivers seat. Can I please have your thoughts on this idea. You can add your ideas too if you want.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 09:30 PM
    And how that micro chip will know which one is the driver phone?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 09:50 PM
    And how that micro chip will know which one is the driver phone?

Posted via CB10
    It would have a short range or it could rely on special sensors built into the dash. I'm still thinking this through though.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 10:01 PM
    Why use a microchip? The phone knows when it's moving and can determine at what speed. Anything over x/miles per hour and the phone diables the SMS app. No microchip required at all.

Though I suppose that would suck if you were just a passenger...

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 05:33 AM
    Why use a microchip? The phone knows when it's moving and can determine at what speed. Anything over x/miles per hour and the phone diables the SMS app. No microchip required at all.

Though I suppose that would suck if you were just a passenger...

Posted via CB10
    Yup, that's what I originally thought but that way won't work.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 07:17 AM
    Admirable goal, unfortunately the problem exists between steering wheel and seat.
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    03-29-15 04:33 AM
    Just have driving mode option on the phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 05:57 AM
    If GPS is activated, the device can identify that it has speed so blocks email/texting Apps... but what about being in a bus, in a train or on a back seat?

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.1531; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    03-29-15 06:02 AM
    OP, such apps already exist. Google "stop text while driving".

There are Android apps that do this, and Apple patented a similar lock-out mechanism last year.
    03-29-15 07:08 AM
    If GPS is activated, the device can identify that it has speed so blocks email/texting Apps... but what about being in a bus, in a train or on a back seat?

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.1531; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    That's the thing.. so it can't be based on a GPS

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 08:34 PM
    Just have driving mode option on the phone.

Posted via CB10
    How many people actually use that? Lol, very few people.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-29-15 08:34 PM
    How many people actually use that? Lol, very few people.

Posted via CB10
    How many people would actually use YOUR idea?!

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-29-15 08:38 PM
    It would be cool to have something that renders your phone useless while the vehicle is in motion, or in "drive".
    03-29-15 11:29 PM
    I'm watching the news and I see that more teens are getting in wrecks and dying from texting and driving. Well, this idea goes more towards people in general. What if there was a small micro chip in the drivers side of your door that could recognize when people were in the drivers seat. What would happen is software would be built into your device and this micro chip and when your driving, you can't use your phone at all and the only time it can be used is through your voice. As for others in the car, they can use their devices because they aren't in the drivers seat. Can I please have your thoughts on this idea. You can add your ideas too if you want.

Posted via CB10
    Need to refine this idea but a good start!

Sensors in cars:
    Seats, doors, steering wheel. Have the phone save driving position favorites, climate control etc. This feeds back to the core QNX system.

However the overall concept removes ability for 911 calls, Maps, and future potential for store or other driver lapses in cognitive function.

Soon out phones will be nested not on the center console but in the steering wheel where the front camera will have a roll in seeing and measuring our constant head movements. Any detection in rapid and sudden bounce degree and rate will trigger alarms and safety precautions.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 12:13 AM
    How many people would actually use YOUR idea?!

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    It would be a �forceful� idea meaning you have no option.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 01:54 AM
    Like I said, it would be neat to have something like my idea but it would take a lot of work and a lot of software. But when it's all said and done, it's protecting people and saving their lives. That's what matters the most is being safe in the car and safe while using the car.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 01:57 AM
    It would be a �forceful� idea meaning you have no option.

Posted via CB10
    The end result - I believe - still depends on the user's attitude.

People go through great lengths when trying to beat or circumvent such technology...

:-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....   �
    03-30-15 03:07 AM
    Let's just wait until automated cars become popular. And we would not have to worry about these things.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 03:38 AM
    Let's just wait until automated cars become popular. And we would not have to worry about these things.

Posted via CB10
    That will be years and years away. Their saying more towards 2020 at the earliest. It's 2015 and that's about 5 years gone by. That could be a lot of lives lost in between those times. I agree with what your saying but for the time being, we need a solution.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 02:48 PM

Soon out phones will be nested not on the center console but in the steering wheel where the front camera will have a roll in seeing and measuring our constant head movements. Any detection in rapid and sudden bounce degree and rate will trigger alarms and safety precautions.

Posted via CB10
    The future is grim, in that cameras will always be on us (like they aren't already) but this simply won't happen, because an accident would result in you having your phone shatter it's way into your skull.

Other points were good though, there is definitely a great opportunity for QNX integration and control,

it would be interesting if there was a sensor that basically acknowledged if you have a phone in the car (picks signals or something), and would not allow you enter drive unless it was placed into the cubby/cupholder whatever, where any functions other than voice were disabled. Most people have a phone, so it would not be unnecessarily impeding people, and a passenger placing their phone their instead is a human error problem, don't allow your friends to text and drive

BB for Life
    03-30-15 04:58 PM
    If any phone was able to "overide" my choice to txt, talk or glance at my phone, I would and I'm sure most would be upset that they had to give up control. If it's an option to be turned or or off, only people who don't do it would leave it active.

I for one don't do anything in motion and typically grab my device while stopped at a light or the like.

Maybe have BlackBerry Assistant take over the phone where you can more easily call out commands to verbally direct your phone while in motion.

For example, to activate it in my Audi, I need to click my steering hands free, ask my car to call "BlackBerry assistant" then my car connects to my phone to use commands like BBM mom etc.

Would be nice it there was more integration that removed a step.

*first world issues*.

 Posted using my powerful BlackBerry Z30 
    03-30-15 05:17 PM
    The future is grim, in that cameras will always be on us (like they aren't already) but this simply won't happen, because an accident would result in you having your phone shatter it's way into your skull.

Other points were good though, there is definitely a great opportunity for QNX integration and control,

it would be interesting if there was a sensor that basically acknowledged if you have a phone in the car (picks signals or something), and would not allow you enter drive unless it was placed into the cubby/cupholder whatever, where any functions other than voice were disabled. Most people have a phone, so it would not be unnecessarily impeding people, and a passenger placing their phone their instead is a human error problem, don't allow your friends to text and drive
    BB for Life
    Hmm.

Seatbelts would not allow you to head-**** the steering wheel on a rapid or sudden stop - whether or not you press the stop pedal ,.. if it does you need a safety check pronto! Also airbags are designed to expand in all kinds of shapes ... recall the curtain from a narrow passage also now protects shoulders not just glass window which is tempered to break into small pieces not so sharp (sharp but nowhere NEAR the front windshield is or can be if that sheet is compromised.
    03-30-15 08:30 PM