How many of you guys do random soft resets of your devices? Is it safe to do one right before I go to bed..but do it every day?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-07 05:35 PM
    I do a soft reset at least once a week - no problems here.
    12-29-07 06:16 PM
    How many of you guys do random soft resets of your devices? Is it safe to do one right before I go to bed..but do it every day?

With all due RESPECT, You gotta be a former Treo user. I've had my BB since 12/04/07 and I doubt if I've had to do a soft reset more than twice since then. I no longer tuck the Kids in bed, kiss the wife goodnight, then do a soft reset on my Treo (in that order) before I go to bed.
    12-30-07 12:49 AM
    The BB's have memory issues at times. Removing the battery every now and then is good for it and cleans out the junk taking up memory.

@CrackBlack: Look at your free memory. Then remove the battery and let the device reset. Check your free memory again. You'll be surprised.
    12-30-07 12:59 AM
    The BB's have memory issues at times. Removing the battery every now and then is good for it and cleans out the junk taking up memory.

@CrackBlack: Look at your free memory. Then remove the battery and let the device reset. Check your free memory again. You'll be surprised.
    Oh! you mean cleaning the memory [browser > options > cache operations > enter ] still no need to pull the battery. Now I can tuck the kids in bed and spend more time kissing the wife, THEN go to bed.

NB. The word "RESET" is a naughty word in the life of a TREO user!
    12-30-07 01:28 AM
    I was referring to the soft reset for the memory cleaning issues...

I'll try it for a few days to see the difference. Thanks for the words guys.

Aloha!

12-30-07 01:31 AM
    Oh! you mean cleaning the memory [browser > options > cache operations > enter ] still no need to pull the battery. Now I can tuck the kids in bed and spend more time kissing the wife, THEN go to bed.

NB. The word "RESET" is a naughty word in the life of a TREO user!
    If you are trying to see how long you can go without pulling the battery on your BB you are destined for problems. I've been around the block a time or two and know what I'm talking about when it comes to BB. Blackberry is NOT a Treo. Don't compare the two. A battery pull on the Blackberry should be done about once a week. You'll know why the first time you look down at your BB and find all your emails and call logs gone.

Pulling the battery doesn't hurt the device and is the first thing to do anytime something isn't working quite right, as well.

Trust me.
    12-30-07 01:53 AM
    I have the soft reset app which does the same as the battery pull...sooo much easier. I recommend this especially for resetting once or twice per week.

12-30-07 04:06 AM
    I have a related question in regards to this topic, and since I'm still a newbie I think I can get away with being a bit dumb.

I have read about battery pulls and resets, but one thing that puzzles me and gives me pause is that if I should have to do a battery pull, do I power down the BB first?

I think it may be the fact that with my desktop computers, pulling the power is not a good thing to do while the unit is powered up.

Can a guru please tell me (and anyone else that is wondering) the correct procedure for a battery pull?

Thank you in advance,
    Rob
    12-30-07 12:03 PM
    For a successful hard reset (pulling the battery), you do not want to turn the power off first.

Yes, it does seem kind of odd, I agree
    12-30-07 12:07 PM
    Thank you so much. I think I can rest easy getting an answer from an abuser
    12-30-07 01:03 PM
    I do my reset every 2-3 weeks...
    12-30-07 01:14 PM
    how do you do a soft reset?
    12-31-07 01:53 PM
    Theres really no soft/hard reset. The only reset on the BB device is popping out the battery. Some call that a soft reset. Others call it a hard reset.
    12-31-07 02:09 PM
    gotcha! thanks
    12-31-07 02:18 PM
    I thought Alt-Cap-Del was a soft-reset and battery-pull was a hard-reset? No?
    01-02-08 09:54 AM
    I Think That Once A Week Everyone Should Clear Their Event Log {Alt. + LGLG} Nd Then Do A Soft Reset.
    01-02-08 09:58 AM
    how do you do a soft reset?
    Alt-RightCap-Del
    01-02-08 10:00 AM
    Ditto to performing a soft reset to take care of "used" memory. I soft reset as much as I reboot my PC...once or twice a week.
    01-02-08 04:28 PM
    I thought Alt-Cap-Del was a soft-reset and battery-pull was a hard-reset? No?
    I suppose so. The results are the same, however. I know on a Palm device a Hard reset removed all your data and set the device back to factory.
    01-03-08 01:53 AM
    Didn't know there was a difference between a soft reset and hard reset.

01-03-08 01:09 PM
    Is a battery pull the same as hitting "Alt+Enter+Delete"?

01-04-08 08:13 PM
    Unscientific Experiment
    1. I had 3,257,660 free
    2. I did a soft reset (Alt-Cap-Del) and I then had 17,981,396
    3. I did a hard reset (battery-pull) and I now had 18,033,720

From a memory/space point of view, I'd say the two reset/boot methods were the same.
    01-05-08 11:05 AM
    I suppose so. The results are the same, however. I know on a Palm device a Hard reset removed all your data and set the device back to factory.
    Both are the same, it like when you 'Defrag' your Computer. An hard reset is wiping everything off and restoring the phone back to 'Default' when it leaves the factory or Reformatting the Hard Drive on your Computer.
    01-05-08 08:06 PM
    RIM says the battery pull and the alt cap del are different. They recommend the battery pull. YMMV.
    01-06-08 12:17 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD