Don't get me wrong, I'm a BB faithful and would really like to see Apple get its clock cleaned....but in the states I've seen two things from Frank Boulben and company:

(1) Jack
    (2) $hit

Seriously...no ads, no commercials....zip, nada, zero....
    07-28-12 09:22 PM
    didn't he just join the team?

Rome wasn't built in a day.
    *edit* fixed a typo
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-28-12 09:26 PM
    BB10 devices are still not even out yet. They still need to build a marketing stategy around it and still need to brainstorm before implimenting. Marketing doesn't happen over night. Commercials have to be written and acted out before being put out there
    07-28-12 09:36 PM
    Hmm. I'm not sure what he could do at this point of time. He has only been in the company for a short period of time, and most importantly, there's nothing much to market. I'm not sure what else they could market. The bold 9900 has been out for around 10 months now. The PlayBook os 2.0 around 5 months old now. The latest curve 9220 and 9320 isn't much to shout about. BB10 is still work in progress with launch of around half a year later, so advertising now would be far too early, plus they need an actual product to market. I also don't think its particularly wise at this point of time to throw in cash to market products that have been out for quite a period of time already, and products that won't be coming out anytime soon.

Maybe OP can share what you think he could have done?
    07-28-12 09:36 PM
    I think the OP is thinking about how the iPhone was introduced almost 6 months before it was available for sale, which lead to huge buzz in the tech community. The same for how the Palm Pre created a sensation at CES about 5-6 months before it was available for sale too.
    07-28-12 09:43 PM
    Without getting into the yet to be released BB10 devices and certainly not
    to lay any blame on Mr. Boulben but the OP does have sort of a point.

Again, BB10 notwithstanding, there is dearth of advertising for the current,
    on the market devices. In terms of marketing it is as if the OS 7 devices
    do not exist.
    07-28-12 09:50 PM
    I think the OP is thinking about how the iPhone was introduced almost 6 months before it was available for sale, which lead to huge buzz in the tech community. The same for how the Palm Pre created a sensation at CES about 5-6 months before it was available for sale too.
    If I recall correctly (always a dangerous assumption ) there was more known
    about those devices pre-release than there is for BB10. Apple and Palm pretty
    much knew what the finished product would be whereas RIM is still "working on it."
    07-28-12 09:55 PM
    I would say that the buzz is important and missing.
    07-28-12 10:09 PM
    I think they're smart to hold back until they have a working, reasonably bug-free Dev Beta that has telephone functionality. Then they can not only film it in action, but also show it to carriers and people at large.

With all the 'RIM is Dead' publicity, any attempts at marketing they make now will seem like a last gasp. I can just imagine all the Monty Python -inspired comments from the media "I'm not dead yet!"

Last edited by ALToronto; 07-29-12 at 10:58 AM.
    07-29-12 10:56 AM
    I read somewhere that RIM said they would start to heavily market BB10 In December.
    07-29-12 11:04 AM
    If there were BB10 commercials playing now, there'd be threads on CB saying it is too soon and they should wait until they are closer to launch...
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    07-29-12 12:06 PM
    they are making things up as they go along. people seem to think they have a set plan/idea/style...NO. i can guarantee you they are just throwing in features every week and trying to implement new ideas, which is causing the delay. must be a madhouse.
    What?
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    07-29-12 12:08 PM
    Why market something 6 months before christmas that isn't available until after christmas? All that's gonna do is give people the false assumption that they can buy a BB10 device in the christmas shopping season, and when that turns out to not be the case, it'll just be more fodder for the "Rim is dead" crowd.

Personally i dont think they should start marketing until January, unless they plan on releasing the device in the first week of Jan or something. Which is highly unlikely.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    07-29-12 01:30 PM
    If RIM get the BB10 device out for Q1 of 2013 (which i still think is a big 'if'), i wouldn't touch the first batch of phones with a ten feet dirty stick. Glitches all over the place i reckon.

I'm still like a child waiting for Xmas about the BB10 though just from the hype generated on Crackberry etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    07-29-12 01:54 PM
    Isn't the 4G Playbook supposed to be coming out soon? If it is, that is something they might want to advertise to let people know it actually exists. Unless they really expect to only sale it to the business market, which, do they sell think it would be a success in that arena alone?
    07-29-12 02:03 PM
    Personally I hope they are working on one h&ll of a marketing campaign for the fall. Because the current Be Bold campaign purely sucks the big one. Its rehashes all the BB functionality and features the majority of consumers don't care about. Reflecting in their dwindling market share. Hopefully RIM will take a page out of apple and Samsung and create eye popping and gripping commercials and other advertising adverts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Syrous44; 07-29-12 at 02:12 PM.
    07-29-12 02:07 PM
    I would say that the buzz is important and missing.
    you don't think there is a buzz about BB10? the buzz has been around since they stated that BB10 was going to be game changing lol.since the media has started reporting false info about RIM only making a touch BB10 device and dropping the QWERTY and having RIM have to rebutt it and give the correct info
    07-29-12 02:24 PM
    you don't think there is a buzz about BB10? the buzz has been around since they stated that BB10 was going to be game changing lol.since the media has started reporting false info about RIM only making a touch BB10 device and dropping the QWERTY and having RIM have to rebutt it and give the correct info
    The buzz exist mostly in communities like this. Outside of us tech followers and
    BlackBerry enthusiasts I suspect not much of the consumer market knows or
    have heard very much about the new platform or upcoming devices.
    Roo Zilla, shaleem and CairnsRock like this.
    07-29-12 02:30 PM
    The buzz exist mostly in communities like this. Outside of us tech followers and
    BlackBerry enthusiasts I suspect not much of the consumer market knows or
    have heard very much about the new platform or upcoming devices.
    Exactly outside this forum, sites like crackberry and tech geeks. People know nothing about nor care about BB10. Rim has to start marketing it early to late fall or else the lunch is going to bomb big time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    07-29-12 03:57 PM
    I'd like to see some noise around the PlayBook 4G, OS2.1 and eventually Blackforest if it's still coming.
    07-29-12 06:36 PM
    Great replies! Thanks, and yes many of you are right....I AM referring to non-existent marketing of BB7, especially my beloved 9850...I think this phone is SO MUCH more stylish than the iPhones that, too me, look...generic and bland. Also, as I said before, I am a teacher and NONE of the kids in my class knew that BB had an all touch...not ONE (out of 110, which is a pretty good sample size). Finally, I am also referring to Apple's ability to create buzz and RIMM's ability to, well, NOT. The original iPhone was introduced in January 2007 then went on sale at the end of June FIVE months later. If we are not getting BB10 until January 2013, that is six months away, and we haven't seen $hit but "alpha devices." Yes, I understand that if they introduced it now, all the "journalists" would just simply bash it. I mean, just run an ad that just gives a peek...a TEASER ad...something. Anyways...just venting I guess...I love my torch and can't wait for BB10....I'm just tired of all the screw ups
    07-29-12 06:42 PM
    Yes! Exactly a great example. Supposedly the 4G PlayBook is coming out in....TWO DAYS? Has anyone seen ANYTHING about the 4G? Not counting crackberry, n4bb, etc.
    07-29-12 06:54 PM
    The issue is, what do you say?

"Here's our failed tablet which finally has mobile compatibility and a slightly faster processor, but still lacking all the things which made the initial launch a failure"

And that's coming from a guy who loves his playbook. I just dont see any amount of marketing making a difference at this point. It just serves as a reminder of their prior shortcomings, and they need to stay away from that. At this stage in the game, only BB10 should be marketed.

That's how i see it anyway, but what do i know
    07-29-12 07:39 PM
    The issue is, what do you say?

"Here's our failed tablet which finally has mobile compatibility and a slightly faster processor, but still lacking all the things which made the initial launch a failure"

And that's coming from a guy who loves his playbook. I just dont see any amount of marketing making a difference at this point. It just serves as a reminder of their prior shortcomings, and they need to stay away from that. At this stage in the game, only BB10 should be marketed.

That's how i see it anyway, but what do i know
    I'm not really sure what they'd say either, I just figure the marketing folks should be able to come up with something since there likely smarter than me.

If nothing else, they could flog a couple PlayBook/BB7 bundles to the budget conscious back to school crowd.

But like you said, what do I know?
    07-29-12 08:19 PM
    Patience! Wait for around the holiday season.....Thats when you'll see more marketing efforts for bb10.
    07-29-12 08:52 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD