i wouldnt say 2 years. it was around September maybe they started giving details about the new OS and the PB
    06-07-12 06:31 PM
    i wouldnt say 2 years. it was around September maybe they started giving details about the new OS and the PB

Thanks.

I think the problem is announcing it so far ahead of it being available on the phones and being finished on the playbook. Though I understand why they did it, I think it did more harm than good.
    06-07-12 06:37 PM
    I feel like they announced it early because they thought they would go straight from OS6 to bb10 (bbx at the time), and then realized it would take longer than they thought to transition. It seems like they realized that if they waited that long without new devices or significant change, they'd be in trouble, so they churned out the bb7 devices.

Just a random guess though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-08-12 07:20 AM
    you knew it was a lie when they said the delay was the chip in the first place. the alpha device further proves that i think. BB10 is not near release ready at this stage.

Now that doesnt mean its a bad thing because i really hope they do make sure the OS is done and not like their other more recent software releases (PB OS 1, BB7) Both those should have been held off longer to get better software builds ready. This will be one way to see how much they have changed
    I still wonder how you came to moderate on a BlackBerry fan site.
    06-08-12 09:08 AM
    Just saying that Lazaridis lied is a gross oversimpiification, even a kind of lie itself.

He did not say that BB10 was ready. In addition to the need to wait for new chips, he also mentioned the big "catch-all" of "and other factors" as a reason for waiting. He may have wanted to draw attention away from software development problems, but that does not mean that RIM did NOT also have valid reasons on the hardware side to wait.

There are valid technical reasons to wait for the S4. It will offer the best shot yet at an LTE phone with good battery life, for two main reasons: it is the first mobile processor to be manufactured wtih a 28nm process, and it has a fully integrated LTE (+ just about everything else) modem on-chip.

Having decided to wait for that chip, RIM undoubtedly raised its sights on the software side too. Whatever RIM gets out for BB10 now will be quite different from what RIM might have been able to get out in an earlier effort.

When did RIM decide to port Cascades over Qt? That must have been a major effort. But Cascades was usable in an earlier form, as seen in a couple of PlayBook apps like the calculator. Perhaps RIM could have rolled out a BB10 with this earlier form of Cascades without Qt.

Perhaps RIM could have pushed out a version of BB10 with the BB7 PIM and email running in a Java/BB7 emulator, as originally planned. Who knows why RIM dropped that effort. Perhaps memory usage forced RIM to choose between that emulator and the Android emulator. Or perhaps Oracle's licensing terms forced RIM to choose between Android and Java on BB10. So perhaps they could have dropped the Android stuff and gone with a BB7/Java emulator to get out BB10.

My point is that perhaps RIM could have pushed out something with an earlier chip. No one outside RIM really knows. If so, this phone would have had poorer performance and less ambitious software than RIM is now targeting.
    Last edited by VerryBestr; 06-08-12 at 01:19 PM.
    06-08-12 10:12 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD