I'm leaning towards WP8..

Any advice?
    07-02-12 01:33 AM
    9900/9310 + Playbook remains my choice.
    You may ask that type of question into appropriate sections. "I'm movign from ..." or devices specific into mobile fusion brands sites.
    07-02-12 01:45 AM
    Where are you coming from? (What was your last phone?)

If you like customization (You can make it LOOK like WP to an extent even, if you like that), Galaxy SIII. If you want a slick systemwide UI, WP8 (But note that you cannot change most of the UI elements like you can in Android). And if you want to burn money, iPhone 5.
    Just kidding about the iPhone but I haven't used it before so not sure.

Disclaimer: This is me coming from an Android base so you can expect that my opinion is slightly biased towards Android. Also, I like modding my phone a lot so Android gives me the perfect platform.
    07-02-12 01:47 AM
    I prefer Galaxy Nexus
    350$ without contract and upgradable to latest OS Jelly Bean is definitely tempting
    I will keep my legacy 9700 though, because it get sh*t done
    mithrazor likes this.
    07-02-12 02:12 AM
    Neither of them interest me one bit.
    07-02-12 03:04 AM
    If i HAVE to choose among the 3 above, i would go for WP8. (Personal preference)

- It has great system wide social integration (i think one of the best amongst all platform). - The UI is smooth and optimised. (Even on single core processor it will put many higher spec android devices to shame.)
    - Windows NT kernel
    - Ecosystem. (Now, i'n not just talking about apps. I'm talking about the services Microsoft provides. Eventually most of them will be unified, or already have been. eg. Zune, XBox Live, SkyDrive, Windows 8, Skype, etc. And Microsoft does have a lot of them, plus they have the cash too to make WP8 work.)
    - it has lots of potential.

Dislikes:
    - Syncing content (especially videos) is a PITA. There's no USB storage mode for current devices (not sure about WP8 though). Zune somehow needs to optimise the video before syncing. I tried syncing 4 short 5 mins clips and it took ages. Despite having already converted them to the correct format and resolution.

I have a Lumia 800 and to be honest quite like it, and would use it as my daily driver if it has BIS, better battery life, and notification lights. (Personal preference) Frankly, it seems like BB10 will be able to fulfill most of the items above, or at least the ones that really concerns me.

Of course i could come up with a whole list of likes and dislikes for other platforms as well. I have used iOS for at least 3-4 years, i have a lumia 800, and had for a week or 2 a Galaxy Note running GB, later ICS.I have tried to use all of them as my daily driver, so i know quite clearly what i like or not in each of the platform. I'm still leaning towards BB10 though. Ultimately, you have to make your own choice, its your dough, your choice.
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 07-02-12 at 05:18 AM.
    07-02-12 05:12 AM

Any advice?
    Out of the three, I would say iPhone 5, though I would give WP8 a chance as well.

S3 goes right out the window for me: too big and ... quad-core? The preview WP8 and iPhone5 both do beautifully with just dual-cores. Personally I don't trust a platform that looks so power-hungry when the competitions matches looks & functionality without the same HW requirements.

That's not to say Android isn't a viable contender, just not the HW-out-of-control Samsung.
    07-02-12 05:23 AM
    You really can't go wrong with either the Samsung or the IPhone 5. My personal preference would be the Samsung because I like Android, but either will give you a powerful up to date device with a great eco system.
    07-02-12 06:18 AM
    Iphone lacks basic features.
    Androids are too bulky, and non secure.

I'd go Windows. I'm staying with my 9930.

BlackBerry is always my first choice.
    Mrluky and shemaree09 like this.
    07-02-12 06:30 AM
    Surely part of the answer revolves around what ecosystem you are already using or heavily invested in?

sure you can fudge but if all your photos are on picasa, you use gmail, google drive you'd go one way, if like me you use exchange, office, skydrive you might go another..

I treat my phone as a pipe to the ecosystem rather than an end in itself.
    07-02-12 06:36 AM
    9900/9310 + Playbook remains my choice.
    You may ask that type of question into appropriate sections. "I'm movign from ..." or devices specific into mobile fusion brands sites.

I disagree. This is the best place to ask what is the ideal alternative from a BB user's perspective. We all loved our BB's and that's why we used them, but now that it looks like there's a strong possibility that BB10 won't see the light of day we have to start looking at our options.

Besides, there's no logic in asking the question in the "appropriate sections" since those replies will obviously be biased to that platform.
    07-02-12 07:05 AM
    We all loved our BB's and that's why we used them, but now that it looks like there's a strong possibility that BB10 won't see the light of day we have to start looking at our options.
    BB10 is still coming, just not as soon as we all hoped it would. The OS7 devices still remain viable alternatives. Plus, we really don't know what exactly iPhone 5 or WP8 will offer yet and how they will compare to BB10.
    07-02-12 07:08 AM

Any advice?
    All are/will be terrific phones.

I would first ask yourself what services (e-mail, cloud storage, etc) do you currently use? That would be the lead question, and you can go from there. Get to a store and spend some time using each device. Ask for dummy units so that you can hold each in your hand. The GSIII, for example, scares some folks because it has a 4.8" screen and is made w/ plastic. Hold it, however, and 1) it feels good in the hand, not too big and 2) it actually feels solid (some folks forget that the GSII is plastic as well, but solidly built).

My personal preference would be to lean GSIII or WP8 before looking at the iPhone 5. I say that simply because I feel restricted in terms of what I can do on an iPhone (wife had an iPhone 4 for two years, so I had plenty of use). However, if you are looking for something streamlined and easy to use, the iPhone might just be the device for you.

As for security on those phones, it is the most overblown issue on CB.com. Unless you are somehow buying illegal stuff on Silk Road on your phone, you will be just fine.
    07-02-12 07:30 AM

Any advice?
    They are all really strong man. Wp8 is cool and the other two are just strong market leaders. All are sexy and this is coming from a long time anti-Apple guy (who now buys them or his parents).

Sent from my BAMF using Tapatalk
    07-02-12 08:22 AM
    BB10 is still coming, just not as soon as we all hoped it would. The OS7 devices still remain viable alternatives. Plus, we really don't know what exactly iPhone 5 or WP8 will offer yet and how they will compare to BB10.
    Just to clarify, could you be suggesting that BB10 is coming out this year? I think I've read from this same site that it isn't coming until 2013? And by the looks of it, the OP is looking into models that will be out this year as a replacement for his current phone. It would really be great to see BB 10 out this year though, just to see where RIM's OS takes us.
    07-02-12 08:23 AM
    Just to clarify, could you be suggesting that BB10 is coming out this year? I think I've read from this same site that it isn't coming until 2013? And by the looks of it, the OP is looking into models that will be out this year as a replacement for his current phone. It would really be great to see BB 10 out this year though, just to see where RIM's OS takes us.
    I don't think that pantlesspenguin was suggesting that the release of BB10 will be in 2012. Reading her post ,I interpret it as, not coming as soon as we were expecting. BUT, it still is coming.
    Just my take on it.
    07-02-12 08:33 AM
    I don't think that pantlesspenguin was suggesting that the release of BB10 will be in 2012. Reading her post ,I interpret it as, not coming as soon as we were expecting. BUT, it still is coming.
    Just my take on it.
    I don't know what happened to me, its like my brain skipped the the "just not as soon as we all hoped it would" part. It's been happening quite a lot lately, where I read a word wrong/i skip it and after re-reading i realise I've read it wrong or missed it. Lol Aw well.
    07-02-12 08:38 AM
    LOL!! No worries . I head my little heart set on picking one up in October...but if I have to wait til Feb-Marchish it won't be that big of a deal (for me). I still want one. And I want to play around with the SGS3, WP8, Nexus Tab, and MS Surface. I need to start working a LOT of overtime to afford all this!
    07-02-12 08:45 AM
    LOL!! No worries . I head my little heart set on picking one up in October...but if I have to wait til Feb-Marchish it won't be that big of a deal (for me). I still want one. And I want to play around with the SGS3, WP8, Nexus Tab, and MS Surface. I need to start working a LOT of overtime to afford all this!
    Ha ha, I can tell you're back on your android, auto correct gave you away
    07-02-12 08:53 AM
    Id say go either android or WP8.
    07-02-12 08:53 AM
    I would like to how much people are invested into android. My guess is most just use the free apps and don't have much $$ into it.

Use them all and see what fits. Then try bb10, next year.
    07-02-12 08:56 AM
    Ha ha, I can tell you're back on your android, auto correct gave you away
    Autocorrect? I'm actually at work on my computer right now lol.
    07-02-12 08:58 AM
    Pretty easy decision.

iPhone 5 (Not out yet)

WP8 (Not out yet)

Looks like the SGS III wins by default.
    07-02-12 09:15 AM
    I will probably go iPhone 5 just because I am invested in the ecosystem at this point. However, I am highly intrigued by WP8 and Windows 8 for that matter. Having a near common interface across a phone, tablet, and computer is compelling.

If you are invested in Google services, like me, then either the iPhone or GS3 should be your choice. If you are willing to use skydrive, hotmail, etc, then WP8 or iPhone.

They are all strong choices. I think security wise, I would rank them WP8, iPhone, Android for sure.
    07-02-12 09:33 AM
    I would like to how much people are invested into android. My guess is most just use the free apps and don't have much $$ into it.

Use them all and see what fits. Then try bb10, next year.
    On Android I've bought WeatherBug Elite, Fancy Widgets, Beautiful Widgets, Swiftkey, and a game.

On BB, I'm subscribed to BBM Music and I bought Weather Bug Elite, BeBuzz, and BeWeather.

And I completely agree with using all the platforms that you're interested in to see what fits the best.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-02-12 09:34 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD