As a visiting Englishman I had reason to go to Waterloo today for business (to the University of Waterloo), and sadly was so disappointed! I was so looking forward to going to the home of BlackBerry for the first time, and had the (obviously unrealistic) impression that I would be going to basically BlackBerry land. I didn't see mention of BlackBerry anywhere despite driving through what I think was the heart of Kitchener on the way in

I've been looking forward to visiting Waterloo ever since I first visited Canada three years ago, when I emailed BlackBerry to ask if I could tour their offices (still waiting for an answer to that one ).

I'm going back to Waterloo next week - any suggestions as to how I can get the true BB experience would be gratefully received! CrackBerry Community, I need your help!

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    10-17-13 08:42 PM
    ooooooo so envious!!!! I'm not there and I've never been, but while you're there, don't forget to try poutine!!!!
    3Dee, slade632, Mack Gans and 1 others like this.
    10-17-13 08:45 PM
    Was it already covered in 20 feet of snow?... Canada.

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-17-13 08:46 PM
    I know, I was so excited! Had poutine in Toronto before, but from what I hear it doesn't count if you have it outside of Quebec

10-17-13 08:50 PM
    What did you expect to see?
    We're proud of BlackBerry and what they have done for our community but it's not like Disney Land.
    Were you expecting to see BlackBerry mascots roaming the streets? I kid.
    Seriously though, what did you expect.
    10-17-13 08:52 PM
    As a visiting Englishman I had reason to go to Waterloo today for business (to the University of Waterloo), and sadly was so disappointed! I was so looking forward to going to the home of BlackBerry for the first time, and had the (obviously unrealistic) impression that I would be going to basically BlackBerry land. I didn't see mention of BlackBerry anywhere despite driving through what I think was the heart of Kitchener on the way in

I've been looking forward to visiting Waterloo ever since I first visited Canada three years ago, when I emailed BlackBerry to ask if I could tour their offices (still waiting for an answer to that one ).

I'm going back to Waterloo next week - any suggestions as to how I can get the true BB experience would be gratefully received! CrackBerry Community, I need your help!

When are you coming next week? The waterloo Blackberry Dev group is meeting on Monday. Let me know, I'll ask some friends who work at Blackberry if they give tours.
    3Dee likes this.
    10-17-13 08:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol no there is no snow...yet
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-17-13 08:54 PM
    Lol no there is no snow...yet
    Just rain right now. Not sure what you were expecting OP.
    10-17-13 09:03 PM
    When are you coming next week? The waterloo Blackberry Dev group is meeting on Monday. Let me know, I'll ask some friends who work at Blackberry if they give tours.
    Wow, I am so overcome with the awesomeness of your offer I am almost lost for words! I have to be in downtown Toronto on Monday, but plan to visit Laurier on Tuesday, although have to get back to downtown Toronto by late afternoon. Thanks for the offer - I presume my schedule will make it v difficult/impossible, but the offer is really gratefully received.

10-17-13 09:05 PM
    I worked security for BlackBerry and believe me there's nothing exciting to see....whatever building your in lol. hope you enjoy the KW area!

Posted via CB10
    3Dee likes this.
    10-17-13 09:18 PM
    What did you expect to see?
    We're proud of BlackBerry and what they have done for our community but it's not like Disney Land.
    Were you expecting to see BlackBerry mascots roaming the streets? I kid.
    Seriously though, what did you expect.
    Exactly! Where were those giant inflatable Mike and Jim mascots!!!

Seriously though, I think having read about BlackBerry have done so much for Waterloo as a place, and seeing CB reports in the past from what seemed like BlackBerry buildings all across Waterloo I was surprised not to see any sign of BlackBerry at all. I am fully open to the possibility that I manage to miss it all by virtue of the way I drove in though!

10-17-13 09:20 PM
    Exactly! Where were those giant inflatable Mike and Jim mascots!!!

Seriously though, I think having read about BlackBerry have done so much for Waterloo as a place, and seeing CB reports in the past from what seemed like BlackBerry buildings all across Waterloo I was surprised not to see any sign of BlackBerry at all. I am fully open to the possibility that I manage to miss it all by virtue of the way I drove in though!

During the BB10 launch BlackBerry stuff was all over the place and all the restaurants had special BB10 offers. It was a really nice time. But the rest you know is history

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 09:30 PM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BlackBerry offices are all around the University of waterloo...dozens of buildings...

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 09:32 PM
    Dude, just enjoy the Kitchener-Waterloo area for what you can while you're here - small cities but with nice features and amenities. Check out the Oktoberfest celebrations (second biggest in the world after Germany and from what I hear there are various BB stands and promotions going on there) on right now and tour around U of Waterloo which is the fertile ground that gave life to BB. Welcome to Canada! Hope you have a wonderful time.
    3Dee likes this.
    10-17-13 09:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't know where you're from, but you obviously have some gross misconceptions, like most people. It's not even winter yet.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 09:39 PM
    ooooooo so envious!!!! I'm not there and I've never been, but while you're there, don't forget to try poutine!!!!
    Geographically you are completely wrong. Poutine is from Quebec.. Waterloo is 5hours from Quebec. In the US you can go through a couple of states in that amount of time.

Although I won't forget to pet my polar bear for Ye

Posted via CB10
    alan510 likes this.
    10-17-13 09:42 PM

Not sure what exact areas you were in but when I was there, there was nothing but BlackBerry signs and such all over the place. Granted, that was shortly after the BB10 launch and a lot of businesses had signs in their windows showing BlackBerry support but in any case, near the University of Waterloo is where you'll find the most BlackBerry buildings. I was fortunate enough to get a tour of the BlackBerry campus while there as well so obviously, my experiences and overall impression is a bit different but alas, it's very much a BlackBerry community.

So, I went to Waterloo today...-oeauszil.jpg
    So, I went to Waterloo today...-bgoxnipl.jpg
    So, I went to Waterloo today...-pmavgfvl.jpg
    10-17-13 09:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Fun fact: Waterloo (southern ontario) doesn't get as much snow as the Midwest.

Last year we didn't get snow until late December when it was a foot high in some states.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 09:45 PM
    BlackBerry offices are all around the University of waterloo...dozens of buildings...

Posted via CB10
    Are you a student there?

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 09:51 PM
    Not sure what exact areas you were in but when I was there, there was nothing but BlackBerry signs and such all over the place. Granted, that was shortly after the BB10 launch and a lot of businesses had signs in their windows showing BlackBerry support but in any case, near the University of Waterloo is where you'll find the most BlackBerry buildings.
    He's thinking of what apple and google would be like from their respective cities in cali.

But on the otherhand. I live in Waterloo and it doesn't even feel like there is Blackberry anything anywhere. On King st there are a few like on waterloo town square but that's it. You don't even know where the BlackBerry buildings are unless you drive by them on Columbia and philips.

BlackBerry is non existent in Waterloo. It's sad to see and say that.

On another note, all the younger people have iPhones and Androids. Except for the highschool like where I live up in the richer parts is all BB10. But the older generations all have BBOS7 and lower devices. So sad that BlackBerry is fading in its own city :S BlackBerry should really be pushing for their own city to adapt to their new OS but they haven't..

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 09:51 PM
    He's thinking of what apple and google would be like from their respective cities in cali.

But on the otherhand. I live in Waterloo and it doesn't even feel like there is Blackberry anything anywhere. On King st there are a few like on waterloo town square but that's it. You don't even know where the BlackBerry buildings are unless you drive by them on Columbia and philips.

BlackBerry is non existent in Waterloo. It's sad to see and say that.

On another note, all the younger people have iPhones and Androids. Except for the highschool like where I live up in the richer parts is all BB10. But the older generations all have BBOS7 and lower devices. So sad that BlackBerry is fading in its own city :S BlackBerry should really be pushing for their own city to adapt to their new OS but they haven't..

Posted via CB10
    At UW I've seen exactly three other people with BlackBerry 10 phones. That's right. Only three out of the nearly 30 000 students here, and I'm half a kilometre from BlackBerry headquarters.

Lots of iPhone though. Mostly Androids. Unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 09:58 PM
    At UW I've seen exactly three other people with BlackBerry 10 phones. That's right. Only three out of the nearly 30 000 students here, and I'm half a kilometre from BlackBerry headquarters.

Lots of iPhone though. Mostly Androids. Unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    Well ya, if you're expecting to see floods of people using a BlackBerry then no, that's not going to happen. It's not as if you drive into town and there is statues of BlackBerry founders everywhere but if you're genuinely looking for the BlackBerry experience there, it can be found. It's not the Apple or Google like experience as mentioned by others.
    10-17-13 10:06 PM
    The banners are long gone. And the Starbucks two doors down from channers in the pic is where you can see lots of iPhones.
    10-17-13 10:08 PM
    Well ya, if you're expecting to see floods of people using a BlackBerry then no, that's not going to happen.
    That's not what I was trying to say. I just got side tracked off the advertisements. Which is ironic having the best business school with coop in Ontario and probably Canada (Laurier)

There should be more BlackBerry stuff everywhere and maybe more people in our city would be loyal.

No one even knew about the Z30 until the whole Rogers thing happened. That's how sad it is.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 10:16 PM
    The banners are long gone. And the Starbucks two doors down from channers in the pic is where you can see lots of iPhones.
    Where isn't there a Starbucks in the loo lol. All those stupid big American chains are here now like the 50 different frozen yogurt places.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 10:17 PM
83 123 ...