it asked me to upgrade certain items. I decided to say 'no' or postpone or whatever it was as I was deleting stuff according to the memory thread.

Now I want to go ahead and do those core upgrades and simply hooking up the BB does not bring up the same popup window.

The app loader does not bring up those specific upgrade options.

Deleting and re-installing the OS won't do it (probably because the keys remain in the Windows Registry regardless)

Uninstalling and Reinstalling the BB using Device Manager won't bring it up either.

Suggestions?

06-07-08 11:17 AM
    Dan,

Not sure if I quite understand what is happening here. Are you trying to upgrade your OS?

If so, uninstalling it will completely remove it from your computer. The registry (for once) does not come into it. Undelete OS = gone, gone. Likewise the Desktop Manager.

When you re-installed the OS if you did not install the one supplied from your carrier then you will need to delet the Vendor.xml file from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader before the Application Loader will recognize your phone for an OS upgrade.

Please get back here if you think we can help more.
    06-07-08 11:32 AM
    actually not trying an upgrade but the OS download is .312 vs .170 and the initial connection asked about doing the various upgrades (which I say no to initially

I was doing the memory optimization which requires that the OS be installed on the computer (along with Device Manager)

Last edited by danpass; 06-07-08 at 11:49 AM.
    06-07-08 11:45 AM
    Pete has identified the problem, my instructions "assumed" the carrier version would remain the same...

Remove the vender file and it should work.
    06-07-08 11:57 AM
    the OS download and the phone carrier are the same

ATT

06-07-08 12:05 PM
    BlackBerry goes to a lot of effort to insure only the right OS gets installed on their devices. That makes it possible to support multiple devices on one computer, a big advantage in real life.

Fortunatly, it is simple enough to work around the security, just by deleting one file.
    06-07-08 12:31 PM
    ok, never mind

I'll figure it out
    06-07-08 12:42 PM
    Removing the vendor file isn't necessary...

Just go into app loader as though you were going to add/remove a application and just go through the prompts, hitting "next" throughout. At the end you will see that it will ask for you would like to update.
    06-07-08 12:56 PM
    the problem is that it does not ask (beginning or end)
    06-07-08 01:13 PM
    it's not that critical. I'll just wait for 4.5 to show up on the ATT BB download page
    06-07-08 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";