I'm going to get one thing straight I have a Bold 9900 and love it however, I believe the OS 7 is rather unnecessary. I think RIM could have released these latest phones with updated OS 6 software instead of touting a new operating software with little to no upside. I had a Torch with OS 6 and now the Bold 9900 and don't really see much different other than the numbers. It would save a ton of grief on both the developer side and the consumers.

The reason I say this is because I just read an article on MSN.ca about RIM's plans for 2012 and BB10 smartphones. No where does the interviewee mention anything in regards to OS 7. Mind you the interviewer never asked, but you would think that the guy would have mentioned something along the lines as "yes the app developers are working hard on getting apps together for QNX based tablet and smartphones but we are not ignoring the latest OS 7 for those customers who recently purchased those devices."

I have emailed several developers in regards to OS 7 and they come back with the response "yes are working on it." That tells me they are focusing on the next operating software.

I am trying my damnedest to keep my chin up with Blackberry phones but my patience is wearing very thin.
    01-11-12 02:24 PM
    I think that the majority of consumers are simply looking over the BB7 devices. I sell phones for an authorized retailer for TMO, ATT, and Sprint, and people rarely look at the new BB7 devices (of which we have two, 9810 and 9850) and look directly at Android.

I love my 9930, and I love BB7, but I've been a BlackBerry fan for years. I think the standard consumer is not going to look at BlackBerry until BB10 launches. In the end, I think BB7 will be looked at as a stopgap of sorts to give people something until the new line of devices launches. At least, that's the way it will be viewed in North America...
    01-11-12 02:33 PM
    This has been discussed ad nauseum ever since it was announced that the next release after 6.0 would be 7.0 and not 6.1. Most of the changes are under the hood, to take advantage of hardware graphic acceleration, add NFC and mobile hotspot functionality, and in total were significant enough to justify a whole number increase in version number. Does it really matter that much what they called it as much as the fact that they delivered a substantially enhanced OS with some pretty impressive new hardware?

Exactly why is your patience wearing thin? Since 7.0 was released just a few months ago, RIM continued to develop 7.1 while they are working on BB10, and while they were putting the finishing touches on Tablet OS2. Are you not paying attention to what's been coming out of CES this week?
    01-11-12 02:35 PM
    Basically if you do not know/understand the 'point' of a software update then you my friend are beyond help.
    Moreso if you insist RIM naming an OS 6.1 when it wouldnt run on OS 6.0 device hardware. It was developed as 6.1 but as soon as OS 6.0 hardware couldn't handle it, they did the logical thing.
    As @sleepngbear aptly points out; "This has been discussed ad nauseum"
    Michelle Haag and sleepngbear like this.
    01-11-12 03:04 PM
    To make money. All companies do it.
    01-11-12 03:09 PM
    Because 7 is better than 6. 6 is actually terrified of 7, because 7, 8, 9.
    spike12 and deezy87 like this.
    01-11-12 03:14 PM
    They had to update to os 7 make use of the new features/hardware you have on your bold. If they could have simply used os 6 I'm sure they would have!
    Because 7 is better than 6. 6 is actually terrified of 7, because 7, 8, 9.
    I think that's the best reply yet lol.
    01-11-12 03:30 PM
    I believe that it was mainly because in-market devices would not be able to upgrade to it. If they had called it 6.1, then users would have been upset when they loigically assumed that they would be able to upgrade to it.
    01-11-12 03:33 PM
    I believe that it was mainly because in-market devices would not be able to upgrade to it. If they had called it 6.1, then users would have been upset when they loigically assumed that they would be able to upgrade to it.
    That, and it's actually a very drastic change in terms of usability.
    Although visible differences are limited to small things such as a new icon set, improved performance coupled with faster processors and more memory made a night and day difference between OS 6 and OS 7.
    01-11-12 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD