I still have hope though...a little left anyways.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-10-12 10:52 AM
    As somebody who sold his BB a while back and who is looking to get a new phone (currently using a Nokia N8), I am encouraged by what has been announced. I don't own a PlayBook, and I don't plan on buying one. My phone usage habits have changed over the past year. I no longer just rely on my phone to communicate, I need other features. One of the things that I love most about Nokia phones is Nokia Drive. Their GPS software is top notch. RIM, however, now offers voice guided navigation on BB Traffic. Is it as good as Nokia Drive. I'm guessing not, but it will work just fine. Same thing with BB Maps with the MS local search. I tried Poynt, but it didn't seem as streamlined and as efficient as Local Scout (MS local search on WP7). I'm waiting to see the UI for the two aforementioned programs. Location and search are something indispensable to me. BB is moving away from a communication first approach. They are making a well rounded product that fits the needs of people like me. Choosing a new phone won't be easy (especially with the Lumia 900), and RIM is making it harder for me. If RIM can get people like myself (who left BB) to reconsider BB, then that is huge for the company. My point of view isn't about the PlayBook and BB10. You could rightly argue that those two products are more important than improvements added to BB OS7. But for right now and the short-term, BB is looking more and more attractive. This is how I view the announcements of CES.
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-10-12 11:50 AM
    To do list,

1. buy micro HDMI cable before Feb
    2. buy 9810 to go along with my Pb
    3. Smile.....
    01-10-12 12:55 PM
    I won't be affected by it, but I can see why many BlackBerry users will be very excited. OS 7.1 doesn't look like much to brag about, but PlayBook OS 2.0 looks like it'll be very welcomed.

I don't think there's anything unique about the calendar, email or contacts, but the BlackBerry Remote feature looks very interesting. For many people (me at least), typing on a tablet, no matter what size, is not a pleasant experience. The screen is too small to touch type on, but also too large to use both thumbs. The idea of using your BlackBerry as a keyboard alone would convince me to purchase it if I still owned a BlackBerry. On the video on the homepage it seemed he had a quick issue trying to connect his BlackBerry and his PlayBook, which I could see causing some annoyances, but after a few updates it should be as smooth as butter. A smartphone to tablet remote feature is something I'd like to see things like that in future iPads and Android tablets.

Another thing that was positive with these announcements is that there was change in the release date. I was afraid that they would show off how great OS 2.0 is and then mention that it's delayed until June.

It might not be enough to switch some iPad and ICS Android tablet users over, but it would give the people who bought PlayBooks on sale a good reason to try out a BlackBerry smartphone. Now we just need to see some of BB10 as soon as possible.
    01-10-12 03:42 PM
    Kool-Aid drinkers are excited just from the bits that came out yesterday.
    I'm surprised it took till the 2nd page for someone to troll. Bravo.

Anyway, back to the discussion. I think all the announcements are positive and I'm excited, having just purchased a 9790 last month I may pick up a PB. I'm looking forward to 7.1 as well. Though like others I am skeptical of the release dates due to RIM's history. I'm hoping though.
    01-10-12 04:02 PM
    Man I wish I would have known about the remote keyboard before I bought my fire. That is pretty slick. I can't type for nothing on the Fires native keyboard. I guess I could side load some other keyboards, but heard it is a pain.

Might have to think about a Playbook now. Seriously thinking of getting a 9900 to, but I shall see come the end of February.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-10-12 05:28 PM
    I'm personally waiting to hear something about the 9930 bricking issue being fixed. I really want to pick one up, off contact.
    I dont think thats is a isue anymore with the new updates 7.1
    01-10-12 06:37 PM
    I dont think thats is a isue anymore with the new updates 7.1
    Where did you hear that? I'm thinking of getting another 9900, but the bricking issue *is* scaring me off.
    01-10-12 07:08 PM
    To do list,

1. buy micro HDMI cable before Feb
    2. buy 9810 to go along with my Pb
    3. Smile.....
    Get a wireless printer too.
    01-10-12 08:59 PM
    I really don't like being called a troll. I actually love my 9930. I even liked my 8530. The reason why I get upset is because RIM is going to die. They are. And I don't like it. I don't want an iPhone, I don't want an Android, and I'm pretty sure I won't want a Windows phone. I like my 'berry. But if you look outside the Crackberry bubble, the rest of the world is giving a big "yawn" to all the news coming out. The OP asked how we felt. I answered honestly. To have my post removed, and to be called a troll, proves the point that only inside Crackberry Nation are the ra-ra's. I get that it's unpleasant to hear bad news, but it's honesty.
    Cleveland likes this.
    01-11-12 12:46 AM
    As a new playbook owner, these announcements are like christmas all over again. I was a little upset that there is still no official keyboard for the pb and I don't like any of the ones currently out, so the announcement of the ability to use our phone keyboard alone made me super excited!
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-11-12 03:48 AM
    I really don't like being called a troll. I actually love my 9930. I even liked my 8530. The reason why I get upset is because RIM is going to die. They are. And I don't like it. I don't want an iPhone, I don't want an Android, and I'm pretty sure I won't want a Windows phone. I like my 'berry. But if you look outside the Crackberry bubble, the rest of the world is giving a big "yawn" to all the news coming out. The OP asked how we felt. I answered honestly. To have my post removed, and to be called a troll, proves the point that only inside Crackberry Nation are the ra-ra's. I get that it's unpleasant to hear bad news, but it's honesty.
    While I understand your frustration, why are you convinced RIM is "going to die"? They certainly have made mistakes and have fallen behind, but there are a lot of positives to look forward to. Did you see the vids on the new OS2.0 for Playbook? Sweet stuff that no one else is doing. At least give 2012 a chance and see what happens.
    Last edited by TgeekB; 01-11-12 at 10:11 AM.
    01-11-12 07:33 AM
    RIM is going to die? When? 5 years? Doubt it, only if BB10 dosen't take off I can see that. 10 years, it could happen. But as of right now. They're raking in 200 million in PROFIT alone a quarter. It takes a company in debt to die. RIM has zero.

And obviously, this is the Playbook 2.0 update. Only people with Playbooks or BB fans are interested in that news.

The average techie won't really care for the Email/Calendar/Contacts app on the Playbook during CES (the BIGGEST electronics show!) Especially if they're not interested in RIM products.
    01-11-12 08:32 AM
    At the rate RIM is going, they're far from dying. OS 2.0 definitely breathed new life into the PlayBook, and is a tremendous value-add to PB owners with BB smartphones. This kind of gesture buys brand loyalty, leaves good impressions, builds trust and more. Whether or not the consumer market will be swayed by the improvements to the platform remains to be seen, but right now RIM has upped their game a little for the corporate sector.
    01-11-12 08:50 AM
    I get that the PB updates are great news for current PB owners - and that's awesome for you guys. It may also get BB owners that don't already have a PB to get one. But what RIM needs is to generate new BB/PB owners who currently do NOT own a RIM product. Their market share has been dwindling (not my opinion, but unfortunately fact). RIM is still profitable, but for how long? If you look to their stock value over the past three years to current, you will have to admit that things are not good. With value that low, they are a target of a takeover. Personally, I'd actually like to see Amazon finally get them, as long as they keep the basics of BBs alive. I, like millions around, have lost faith in RIM.
    01-11-12 09:04 AM
    I get that the PB updates are great news for current PB owners - and that's awesome for you guys. It may also get BB owners that don't already have a PB to get one. But what RIM needs is to generate new BB/PB owners who currently do NOT own a RIM product. Their market share has been dwindling (not my opinion, but unfortunately fact). RIM is still profitable, but for how long? If you look to their stock value over the past three years to current, you will have to admit that things are not good. With value that low, they are a target of a takeover. Personally, I'd actually like to see Amazon finally get them, as long as they keep the basics of BBs alive. I, like millions around, have lost faith in RIM.
    The new PIM functioning and Android market might just do that.
    01-11-12 10:12 AM
    The new PIM functioning and Android market might just do that.

Maybe. Or - maybe people will continue to purchase actual Android phones and tablets over BBs like they are now.

Again, for RIM to succeed, they need current NON-RIM product owners to step into their world. Either get a BB, or a PB, or both (hopefully). Let me ask you: Why would someone who owns an Android phone or iPhone (or Windows phone) buy a PB? There is NO GOOD REASON. All the cool Bridge functionality, the Remote functionality, BBM etc.. means NOTHING to a person who uses a non-BB phone.
    01-11-12 11:15 AM
    Because Windows 8 and windows phone will be very related, which makes Blackberry a bit of an afterthought in the grand scheme of things.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    LOL after all those WP7 predictions of world domination never materialized, even after the mighty Mango, the Windows boys have now moved to Windows 8. Keep pimping Windows Phone and maybe more people than you will buy them . I still have not seen a single one being used in public, and I've at least seen a few Playbooks in the wild if that tells you anything.
    01-11-12 01:27 PM
    Maybe. Or - maybe people will continue to purchase actual Android phones and tablets over BBs like they are now.

Again, for RIM to succeed, they need current NON-RIM product owners to step into their world. Either get a BB, or a PB, or both (hopefully). Let me ask you: Why would someone who owns an Android phone or iPhone (or Windows phone) buy a PB? There is NO GOOD REASON. All the cool Bridge functionality, the Remote functionality, BBM etc.. means NOTHING to a person who uses a non-BB phone.
    No, it means nothing to someone who doesn't care about those features. If they are interested in those features then it does mean something. Will it get people to switch? Might for some. It won't for everybody. And seeing these features in use in the real world will he what really sells it for some.

James
    01-11-12 05:09 PM

No, it means nothing to someone who doesn't care about those features. If they are interested in those features then it does mean something. Will it get people to switch? Might for some. It won't for everybody. And seeing these features in use in the real world will he what really sells it for some.

James
    Good comments from both of you. Based on the title of the thread, what we have been exposed to was to be expected from RIM and I applaud them for stepping forward. But, RIM wants to have mass appeal to non -BlackBerry owners along with former BlackBerry owners. It is a step in the right direction. That's it....for now. We'll see if some momentum builds from it. I believe it will.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 01-12-12 at 11:49 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-11-12 10:47 PM
    LOL after all those WP7 predictions of world domination never materialized, even after the mighty Mango, the Windows boys have now moved to Windows 8. Keep pimping Windows Phone and maybe more people than you will buy them . I still have not seen a single one being used in public, and I've at least seen a few Playbooks in the wild if that tells you anything.
    I haven't seen any Windows Phones or Playbooks in the wild.
    teeuwen likes this.
    01-11-12 11:53 PM
    All companies make mistakes and some survive. Good companies make mistakes and learn from them and eventually become great. Rim is by no means dying!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-12 12:27 AM
    I haven't seen any Windows Phones or Playbooks in the wild.
    I've seen a few Windows Phones out there, but I've never met anyone who is an enthusiastic WP fan. If I ask them what they think of it, usually they say "it's alright" or "It's okay but I wouldn't get another one". As for PlayBooks, no, I've never seen a PlayBook aside from the display models at Best Buy. Every tablet I see out in the wild is an iPad or on a very rare occasion, an Android.
    01-12-12 07:03 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD