is there an app, website, or anything else i can use to send text messages through using data usage since i have unlimited data but only 400 messages on my plan :/

thanks!
    01-15-09 03:13 AM
    Sorry not that I know! Do any of your contacts you want to sms have any Instant Messagers? Aim, Yahoo, MSN, Gtalk,

PS is emails back n fourth data or messages?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 05:14 AM
    Depending on their carrier, yes, it's easy.

How to Text Message Online - wikiHow

I tested this to the AT&T gateway they provide in the article, and it works great. The receiver gets the subject line of your e-mail as part of the text so take that into consideration when you come up against the 160 character limit. I think it splits too-large messages into multiple texts. When they respond to the text it comes back to you as e-mail.
    Last edited by Spinny; 01-15-09 at 06:11 AM.
    01-15-09 06:08 AM
    Text messaging is just an email service... So if your email uses data, then just use that
    01-15-09 06:12 AM
    Text messaging is just an email service... So if your email uses data, then just use that
    The problem arises when your intended recipient can't get e-mail on their device.
    01-15-09 06:12 AM
    That is not correct. Text uses text, not data. It doesn't matter what kind of a data plan you have. Data uses data, text does not.
    01-15-09 09:25 AM
    Verizon Users, can use the following web site to send free text messages (free on your end NOT the recipient's end). The site MIGHT work from your BBs browser, not sure, but I will test my Storm in a moment and report back.

Verizon Wireless: Send a Message

EDIT: Not the most elegant solution, BUT it did work (or appear to) from my Storm's browser. I'll let you know if and when my g/f responds to my text from her phone.
    Last edited by pkcable; 01-15-09 at 10:14 AM.
    01-15-09 10:07 AM
    Code:
       1. Find out which carrier the recipient uses.
       2. Compose an e-mail with your intended text message in the body.
       3. Send the e-mail to the e-mail-to-SMS gateway for their carrier. Here are some examples, and the complete list is at the end of this article:

* Sprint Nextel: 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com (1234567890@pm.sprint.com for MMS)
              * T-Mobile: 1234567890@tmomail.net (SMS and MMS)
              * Verizon: 1234567890@vtext.com (1234567890@vzwpix.com for MMS)(limit TXT messages to 150 characters).
              * Cricket: 1234567890@sms.mycricket.com (SMS)
              * Fido: 1234567890@fido.ca (SMS)
              * If you don't know the provider, you could just send it to all carriers. Your text message will only get delivered to the intended recipient's box because the address is based on the phone number which is unique.
              * See bottom of this article for a larger list of carriers
    01-15-09 10:11 AM
    i recently went over my 400/month limit on my text messages on T-mobile after sending/receiving about 15-20 a day to my girlfriend.

Since I have a BB data plan with unlimited e-mail, this works for me as a good way to get extra texts for free: She texts me, then I e-mail her back. Therefore, I effectively reduce the number of texts by half, and everyone is happy because I don't have to tell her not to text me because I'm out of text messages anymore.

I just started doing this, so I haven't seen how they come out on her end yet, but I'd imagine that keeping them short is a good idea.

BTW, the address for T-mobile users is # [at] tmomail.net

Also, this may not provide an advantage with more recent and future T-mobile subscribers as it looks like they're starting to count e-mails in along with texts.
    02-25-09 08:28 AM
    You could have her send her texts to your email address as well.

02-25-09 10:51 AM
    My daughter has an unlimited text plan, so when she sends messages to me, she sends them to my e-mail address. I just respond back via e-mail and she gets them as texts. It definitely a pretty near work-a-round.

Just remember your e-mail address can count as part of their character limit when e-mailing you via text.
    02-25-09 11:12 AM
    Tried it myself and it works!
    02-25-09 11:25 AM
    My daughter has an unlimited text plan, so when she sends messages to me, she sends them to my e-mail address. I just respond back via e-mail and she gets them as texts. It definitely a pretty near work-a-round.

Just remember your e-mail address can count as part of their character limit when e-mailing you via text.
    how do you send an e-mail via text??

plus i checked out her phone to see how they come through, and when i'm under the 150 character limit including email address and subject line, they come through as texts for her, but when I go over the 150 character limit, she gets a picture message without a picture, but with the entire e-mail message. so it's actually just as effective to put the entire message into the subject line.... btw, we're both on T-mobile, so this might be carrier-specific, because i thought i've heard of some carriers splitting email-to-sms messages over 150 characters into multiple text messages. just something to watch out for so you don't end up charging the other person a ton of loot if they don't have picture mail.

lastly, isn't charging the user for outgoing and incoming texts (and cell minutes) really double charging!? why are people just taking this lying down? why hasn't someone sued a carrier over double charging? i'm just remembering the good 'ol days of land lines when only the person making a long distance call would get the long distance charge, and you could have someone call you back in the middle of the call to effectively split the charges that way.
    02-26-09 04:27 PM
    I have Verizon's BB plan (no text package), and my husband has a mobile phone with a VZW text plan. We use a work-around to send and receive text messages that are free for me.

At first I had trouble sending emails to my husband @vtext.com - my message would be preceded by a long string of characters in addition to my address, so the messages were getting truncated even when I limited them to 160 characters. Also, "reply" didn't work on either end (replies got lost in cyberspace), so we had to compose new text/email messages in order to have a conversation.

Yesterday I discovered that it works much better if I use the gmail mobile app instead of BB messages to send my "text" messages. It comes through looking clean, and "reply" works well both ways. I don't have instant message notification from gmail to my BB, so I set up a filter to make sure I got texts right away and without duplication (if it's from vtext.com or message.alltel.com, then gmail automatically forwards to my BB address and archives the message - also adds an SMS label I created). When I get a notification in my BB inbox from a text address, I then open gmail to reply. It's the best alternative I've found to paying for an additional text package.

03-04-09 09:26 AM
    how do you send an e-mail via text??
    send an email>txt. Then reply in your text message window and it'll send to the email account.

you can also use an aim program. I don't have a backwards blackberry but my windowsmobile phone can use palringo which can text numbers by puting +1(10dignmber).
    05-19-09 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";