Hi fellow Blackberry owners. I've been wondering this for awhile, and now that I am actually experiencing texting problems (they are not being received by my friends when I send them, the majority of the time, when we both have great 3G service), I am even more curious about it now.

If you go into Options in your blackberry, then scroll down to "SMS Text", scroll down to "Network To Send Over", and you have the following options to choose from...:

- Circuit Switched (what I have right now)
    - Circuit Switched Preferred
    - Packet Switched Preferred
    - Packet Switched

Can someone please explain to me what these mean and how they affect my phone or my texting?

Thank you very much!

edit: Please check out Post #23 for updated information on texting problems! I've apparently found a fix for my problem sending texts to my brother's Verizon phone.
    Last edited by Jonneh; 02-10-09 at 12:08 AM.
    02-06-09 09:06 PM
    Well, I don't know the difference between circuit switched and packet switched (in fact, I have never sent a text message), but I would assume that the "preferred" methods would fail over to the other method if the first didn't work, so if you're having problems with people receiving your messages you might want to switch to one of those.
    02-06-09 09:12 PM
    Good point, haha. I will switch to one of the "____ Preferred" options and see if I notice any difference, while waiting for another reply as to what all of these actually do. Thanks.
    02-06-09 09:40 PM
    I don't have that option under the SMS text section of the options menu...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 10:26 PM
    Hmm, maybe it's a Bold thing then?
    02-06-09 10:39 PM
    (the majority of the time, when we both have great 3G service
    3G service wouldn't make any difference with SMS Text messages, as those don't use any data services to send. I would look to AT&T for the answer. Do your friends have ATT as well? I know that sending MMS messages to my ATT friends always is a problem. They won't recieve it until hours after I send it. I don't know... I've heard good and bad things about ATT/Cingular service. I'd call them and see what's up.
    02-07-09 01:58 AM
    I was wondering about that as well. Sometimes when i send a sms to a vzw friend, they dont get it right away..
    02-07-09 06:40 AM
    Network to send over -
    CS = Circuit Switched voice network (GSM, CDMA)
    PS = Packet Switched data network (EDGE, UMTS, EVDO)
    Woah! So could this mean that when I am sending texts while being on EDGE, since I only had "Circuit Switched" checked (not "Preferred"), they are not being delivered because EDGE needs Packet Switched, and I didn't give my phone that option?

Well, actually, I guess it doesn't work so easily like that, because now I remember sending a text while on EDGE and the person did get it.

And by the way everyone, when I say not getting my messages the majority of the time, I don't mean they are slow or late. I mean seriously never receiving it for days to come.
    02-07-09 10:12 AM
    I switched it to circuit preffered switched this morning, now my vzw buddy gets my sms messages right away ... Hmmmm

02-07-09 10:13 AM
    ^Interesting...do you think it's a coincidence?
    What did you have it as previously?
    02-07-09 10:14 AM
    LOL.. Not sure, but it is kinda annoying, since I left vzw for my BOLD ! Gueess it don't hurt to try the different settings, cause I'm still confused..

02-07-09 10:15 AM
    Woah! So could this mean that when I am sending texts while being on EDGE, since I only had "Circuit Switched" checked (not "Preferred"), they are not being delivered because EDGE needs Packet Switched, and I didn't give my phone that option?
    There I have no clue. I have never changed my option and on the very rare
    occasion I send or receive a text message (I hate texting) I never have run
    into any issues with delays or non-receipt.
    02-07-09 10:18 AM
    There I have no clue. I have never changed my option and on the very rare
    occasion I send or receive a text message (I hate texting) I never have run
    into any issues with delays or non-receipt.
    Hmm, okay. Thanks. What's your option that's selected?
    02-07-09 10:24 AM
    It is and has always been at CS. But again, I am probably the
    last person to look to for further aid. If I send or receive 50 text
    messages in a cycle, consider it a sign of the apocalypse.
    02-07-09 10:28 AM
    "Pulls hair" !!!!

BradenW likes this.
    02-07-09 10:33 AM
    Hahaha, okay thanks for the info anyway though
    02-07-09 10:37 AM
    I'm gonna leave mine on curcuit switch preferred and see how it goes..

02-07-09 10:39 AM
    That's what I'm doing too. I'll test it as that for all of today and tomorrow and see how things go..and will be hoping for improvement.
    02-07-09 10:47 AM
    Hellz to the yeah!!!!!!!!!

02-07-09 10:48 AM
    Okay well, so far, this may just be coincidence but my AT&T friend has received all of my messages, while my brother, who is with Verizon, still continues to receive none. I'll try him, as well as more with my fellow AT&T friend, later today.
    02-08-09 05:05 AM
    if i was you i would call att customer service and put the hole mess in their lap to get it fixed and i would call them every few hours until it is working OK. in other words bug the you know what out of them thats what they get payed for to fix things. well thats my two cents worth and good luck and would you let me know when you get things fixed.
    02-08-09 07:55 AM
    if i was you i would call att customer service and put the hole mess in their lap to get it fixed and i would call them every few hours until it is working OK. in other words bug the you know what out of them thats what they get payed for to fix things. well thats my two cents worth and good luck and would you let me know when you get things fixed.
    Yeah, lol, I had planned to do this yesterday (Saturday) but I got caught up in all I was doing and ended up forgetting about it altogether. I still plan to call them though, because as of right now my brother (Verizon) still NEVER receives my messages. However, since being on CSP (Circuit Switched Preferred), maybe it's just a coincidence but I haven't had any problems with my AT&T friend anymore...except when her inbox is full and I have to resend it after she deletes some messages to make room. But, that makes sense - besides that, so far (these past 2 days) no problems with her anymore...hmm...
    02-08-09 06:16 PM
    Okay, guys! New information here...!
    Pretty interesting stuff.

I just took my brother's verizon phone so I could test our phones. He never, ever, ever receives any text messages I send him, though I receive his. I went into my (my Bold) SMS settings and switched my "Data Coding" option from UCS2 to 7bit, the only two options there. Now that it is 7bit, he receives my texts perfectly fine! I don't exactly know what all of this means, but it works, if any of you with similar problems would like to give it a try. It only takes one second.
    And I am still on CSP (Circuit Switch Preferred), whatever that means.

However, my AT&T friend has gone to bed so I can not text her to test if SHE still receives my messages now that I am on 7bit...

...Will have to see tomorrow.
    02-10-09 12:04 AM
    Wow... who knew SMS was so confusing?
    02-10-09 01:33 AM
    I have Circuit Switched selected on my Bold and haven't had any problems sending or receiving SMS text messages although I've only had my Bold for a week, I also have the same option selected on my old Curve 8310 under CS. Maybe it's something with the SIM card?
    02-10-09 02:35 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD