I can't seem to text any longer - everytime I send a message, I get the red "X" and it says SMS Error 97, Message ID 71) Service denied.

There doesn't seem to anything blocking the firewall, and the normal verizon help site has nothing on this issue.

Any ideas?
    03-12-09 01:15 PM
    "SMS error 97 - Service denied" means that you, the send, a) do not have SMS activated on your account, or b) you have a block placed on your account to prevent SMS even if your plan permits it.
    Verizon Customer Support should be able to verify.

As a point of interest, "SMS error 98 - Destination not authorized to receive" is the error code someone would get when sending an SMS to you provided you do not have SMS activated or have it blocked.
    03-13-09 08:50 AM
    Sorry but I didn't understand the last part. I get this message thought "(sms error 98 ,message id 178) destination not authorized to receive.

I get this message when trying to text someone on the same network as I ,including the red x as mentioned by the op. The network I am using is metro pcs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 10:10 PM
    i have the same error (SMS error 97, message ID 6) service denied :S help me please!
    03-27-10 07:18 PM
    Maybe try re=registering your device. Go into Options | Advanced Options | Host Routing Table. Select the bold entry, (You may have to scroll a LONG ways down.. I did) hit your menu button, and choose Register Now. See if you get a registration messages a few seconds later. Afterwards remove the battery from your device for 1 minute then put it back in.

Usually if you get a service denied message, you'd have to contact your carrier to resolve it.

Let us know how it goes
    09-08-11 02:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD