I was reading the student newspaper and it had a piece about the war between smartphones. It included the Blackberry Bold so I thought that I'd post it up for everyone to read! I can't judge because I've never used any of these phones before.

iPhone 3G

Company: AT&T

- Pros: 3Gm wifi, GPS, outstanding safari browser and email, iPod applications, app store is regarded as the best of its kind, touchscreen

- Cons: no navigation software, low quality camera application, disappointing battery life, counter-intuitive menus and settings, plastic frame makes for limited durability

Samsung Glyde

Company: Verizon Wireless

- Pros: touchscreen, slide feature, great call quality, small compact phone design, 2.0 megapixel camera, bluetooth

- Cons: muffled speaker, small screen makes for difficult typing, poor photo quality, hissing background noise

Blackberry Bold

- Pros: wifi, GPS, multimedia, leather body, QWERTY keyboard, bluetooth, excellent quality RIM screen, solid web browser

- Cons: low quality camera, poor battery life, bulky design, no touchscreen

LG Dare

- Pros: 3G speed, outstanding camera quality, GPS, VGA video playback, touchscreen, multimedia, handwriting recognition

- Cons: poor web browser, low sensitivity touchscreen, disappointing battery life, very few productivity applications, poor messaging services
    09-29-08 10:32 PM
    Heh. I have owned the LG Dare and I can say the same that they said about it. That phone was really fast though. But, within a months time I got my BB and I love it more then any phone I have ever owned!
    09-29-08 11:03 PM
    to me the bb always wins
    09-29-08 11:17 PM
    This review is actually very poor you can tell it was thrown together in a student-run publication.

The pros and cons of the devices are meaningless in some cases, such as counter-intuitive menus on an iPhone! And I am not sure how they got a hands on review with the ATT Bold, since it is not out....

At any rate, they could have compared other phones in the "war" as well... like the BlackBerry Storm, Treo, HTC Touch Pro, TMobile G1... the list goes on! And the Samsung Glyde should not even be in that list, IMO.
    09-29-08 11:25 PM
    Counter-intuitive menu design on the iPhone?

I've heard a lot of different insults and complaints directed at the iPhone, but that has never been one of them. It seems to be a unanimous belief that the GUI on the iPhone is pretty top-notch.
    09-29-08 11:42 PM
    Counter-intuitive menu design on the iPhone?

I've heard a lot of different insults and complaints directed at the iPhone, but that has never been one of them. It seems to be a unanimous belief that the GUI on the iPhone is pretty top-notch.
    Exactly what I was thinking!! The interface of the iPhone is one of the flagship features... it makes no sense that they would criticize it and call is counter-intuitive. That is really what got me... along with some other poor observations!
    09-30-08 12:19 AM
    The con for the BOLD is not a touchscreen?? No touchscreen is a pro!
    09-30-08 12:23 AM
    haha!! wow... very very true.

Another one : The Samsung Glyde has a pro of 2MP camera!

Honestly, that is not even great at all... any new smartphone coming out should have at least a 3MP camera in my books (at least for it to be considered a pro of the device! 2MP is standard... nothing special!)

Heck, my Curve has a 2MP camera...

*EDIT* : And now that I read the description for the Glyde again... it contradicts itself! It says a pro is the 2MP camera and then it says a con is poor picture quality. I would take everything this little article says with a very very tiny grain of salt! hahahaha
    09-30-08 12:27 AM
    I agree with the two posts above. I despise touch screens.

Seems like a student with a deadline threw this together last minute...
    09-30-08 04:52 AM
    I'd take it with a tiny grain of something too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-08 04:56 AM
    Yeah, exactly what I was thinking guys! I thought the whole article was biased even though I've never used any of those phones before... also the whole touchscreen con with the Bold made me chuckle because I'm not into touchscreen at all so it's a pro for me!

When I think about it, a lot of the articles were lame (but I was reading it because it was right there and I had nothing to do) and I wouldn't doubt that it was put together just for the deadline...
    09-30-08 05:31 AM
    I wouldn't say the Battery life for the Bold is a con either. Since I've had mine (2 weeks now) I've only charged it twice.... it needs another charge tomorrow perhaps, and I use mine a lot.
    09-30-08 07:42 AM
    I am using Nokia E90 and Blackberry 8310, but the 8310 is my number 1
    09-30-08 08:06 AM
    I wouldn't really consider the Samsung Glyde or LG Dare "smartphones".
    09-30-08 11:48 AM
    Very bad review of all devices, must be a newbie at reviewing devices.

09-30-08 11:58 AM
    That "Review" made me LOL.
    Lets see if donning my Troll-Cap can improve upon things any:

iPhone 3G
    No user-replaceable battery means if it dies while your lost in the woods being chased by a Psycho dressed in a clown-suit holding a meat cleaver, you're probably going to die too. Or possibly raped. Or raped, killed, then raped some more. Slick, curvy plastic design doesn't hold up well when slapped out of some gushing Mac Fanboys hands. Touchscreen attracts fingerprints and douchebags. AT&T has disgusting service and powers its network servers by incinerators fueled by puppies and the sweet tears of children.

Samsung Glyde
    Tiny display, teeny-tiny keypad - was this thing designed for Munchkins? You practically have to beat the touchscreen with a ball-peen hammer to make anything register. Camera produces pictures that look like they were shot through someones underwear after they drank hard liquor all night and soiled themselves. Glide isn't even spelled right.

BlackBerry Bold
    It's a SNAIL to boot up - seriously, turn this on and go grab a cup of coffee - it might be done when you get back. Speaking of which, you could probably warm a cup of coffee on this thing if you flipped it over and put your mug on top of it - batterys must be made of rapidly decaying nuclear fuel rods or something, cause it gets Hot! The keys are bigger, but they give us a smaller screen to enjoy the better browser on? - nice touch there. Speaking of Browsers- it's time to move beyond 1999, and cut the s**t with Java errors and "unable to find network" messages. Seriously.

LG Dare
    It's the iPhones uglier ******** cousin! Honestly, could LG have engineered a less-responsive and stuttery touchscreen? This thing will make you want to bean it off the head of a guy motoring past you on a scooter bike, or drop it down into a sewer grid within 5 minutes of "navigating" with it. It's awful, it sucks, it's the new LG Dare! If it worked great, at least not having an iPhone to show off to the hunnies with might seem bearable- but as it is, you're just a dork with a crappy iPhone knock-off who's probably not going to get laid tonight. Again.

** nothing I say here should be taken seriously, I'm kidding dammit **
    09-30-08 01:14 PM
    That "Review" made me LOL.
    Lets see if donning my Troll-Cap can improve upon things any:

iPhone 3G
    No user-replaceable battery means if it dies while your lost in the woods being chased by a Psycho dressed in a clown-suit holding a meat cleaver, you're probably going to die too. Or possibly raped. Or raped, killed, then raped some more. Slick, curvy plastic design doesn't hold up well when slapped out of some gushing Mac Fanboys hands. Touchscreen attracts fingerprints and douchebags. AT&T has disgusting service and powers its network servers by incinerators fueled by puppies and the sweet tears of children.

Samsung Glyde
    Tiny display, teeny-tiny keypad - was this thing designed for Munchkins? You practically have to beat the touchscreen with a ball-peen hammer to make anything register. Camera produces pictures that look like they were shot through someones underwear after they drank hard liquor all night and soiled themselves. Glide isn't even spelled right.

BlackBerry Bold
    It's a SNAIL to boot up - seriously, turn this on and go grab a cup of coffee - it might be done when you get back. Speaking of which, you could probably warm a cup of coffee on this thing if you flipped it over and put your mug on top of it - batterys must be made of rapidly decaying nuclear fuel rods or something, cause it gets Hot! The keys are bigger, but they give us a smaller screen to enjoy the better browser on? - nice touch there. Speaking of Browsers- it's time to move beyond 1999, and cut the s**t with Java errors and "unable to find network" messages. Seriously.

LG Dare
    It's the iPhones uglier ******** cousin! Honestly, could LG have engineered a less-responsive and stuttery touchscreen? This thing will make you want to bean it off the head of a guy motoring past you on a scooter bike, or drop it down into a sewer grid within 5 minutes of "navigating" with it. It's awful, it sucks, it's the new LG Dare! If it worked great, at least not having an iPhone to show off to the hunnies with might seem bearable- but as it is, you're just a dork with a crappy iPhone knock-off who's probably not going to get laid tonight. Again.

** nothing I say here should be taken seriously, I'm kidding dammit **

I LOVE YOU!!!!

i almost wet myself reading this!
    09-30-08 01:34 PM
    i own a bb and an iphone except for the browser the bb puts the iphone away
    09-30-08 01:43 PM
    to me the bb always wins
    obviously!!

i totally agree!! my coworker has a treo and it always seems to hang up on her bc of the touch screen (her check hitting buttons while she is on the phone)....no touch screen for me!!
    09-30-08 01:48 PM
    Samsung Glyde

- Pros: touchscreen, slide feature, great call quality, small compact phone design, 2.0 megapixel camera, bluetooth

- Cons: muffled speaker, small screen makes for difficult typing, poor photo quality, hissing background noise

Blackberry Bold

- Pros: wifi, GPS, multimedia, leather body, QWERTY keyboard, bluetooth, excellent quality RIM screen, solid web browser

- Cons: low quality camera, poor battery life, bulky design, no touchscreen
    They both have a 2.0 megapixel camera, sooooo......... why is the Bold being put down for it again?

LMFAO @ Digital_Cataclysm!!!
    Last edited by 1 2 MaNy; 09-30-08 at 05:34 PM.
    09-30-08 03:16 PM
    Samsung Glyde
    Lets see now... I googled 'glyde' and entry #3 in the list was GLYDE Health - Dams, Condoms, Lubricants, Femidom, Beppy Sponges, Red Ribbon Condom, vegan friendly

'nuff said
    09-30-08 05:17 PM
    Glad to give a few members a chuckle -
    I was in a fairly good mood yesterday.

Mostly because I told a pain-in-the-**** customer to go take their
    business & annoyances elsewhere. That, and I had a hot-pocket for
    lunch that didn't suck or make me want to run for the nearest
    toilet. Amazing, I know!
    10-01-08 02:06 PM
    The Glyde is considered a smartphone? What!? The phone is complete garbage.

10-01-08 02:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";