I was packing some bags this morning and I packed the Blackberry AC/USB chargers that came with the 9810 and 9900 phones we have. I found an old Nokia charger that came with one of my Wifes phones and plugged it in so I could leave the BB units in the suitcase. My 9900 was sitting at about 50% when I plugges it into the Nokia charger. Came back a couple hours later and the phone had stopped the charging process and reverted back to trickle because it was fully charged. That was about 2:30 this afternoon. Since then I have been surfing the web and posting here at Crackberry. Right now it is 9:05 pm and I still have 84% of my battery left and I have noticed I don't see it droping like I used to. The drainage is so subtle I don't notice it. My 9000 was like that when it was new. Here is the kicker, the phone was on 4G and WiFi all day.

The Nokia charger is 5V@550mAh
    The Blackberry charger is 5V@750mAh

Thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-11 08:12 PM
    I actually get a longer charge for my 9900 when I use the charger from my PlayBook.
    11-20-11 09:19 PM
    Interesting observation. You should try it a few more times to see if you can duplicate it. I suppose the real test would be to charge it from the computer's usb port and compare that battery life to your Nokia charger. But I don't know if it's possible for anyone to wait that long for a charge, lol.
    11-20-11 09:20 PM
    Its charged up from about 50% using the USB port on my desktop. I don't remember seeing such a drastic improvement. The BB USB Charger came out of my travel bag and the Nokia went back in. The Nokia has a nice long cord too. The USB cable RIM gives you is useless for charging, its not long enough.

2:30pm to 11:12pm and I am still at 64% and for the first time since I got this phone I don't feel pressured to either lay-off or plug-in.

Its a "Nokia AC-6U" AC Travel Charger.

I just ordered a few.

Last edited by olblueyez; 11-20-11 at 10:17 PM.
    11-20-11 10:14 PM
    I actually get a longer charge for my 9900 when I use the charger from my PlayBook.
    Me too. I slapped my 9900 on the PB charger yesterday morning and hasn't been back on since. Right now, 38 hours later, my battery is at 45% with a drain rate of 1.5%. I'm not sure if fast or slow charging makes a difference, or if it's just getting a several charging cycles on a new OS. Running .540, btw.
    11-20-11 10:15 PM
    I noticed with the OEM charger that came with the phone my battery drained at 2% every 30 minutes. Now I see where I left the phone alone for more than 30 minutes today and that 30 minutes of sitting idle drained the battery 1%.

I hope that turns out to be a pattern.

11-20-11 10:22 PM
    Me too. I slapped my 9900 on the PB charger yesterday morning and hasn't been back on since. Right now, 38 hours later, my battery is at 45% with a drain rate of 1.5%. I'm not sure if fast or slow charging makes a difference, or if it's just getting a several charging cycles on a new OS. Running .540, btw.
    Would it be possible to post the output on the PlayBook Charger?

11-20-11 10:23 PM
    Would it be possible to post the output on the PlayBook Charger?

Charger that came with the PlayBook...

5V / 1.8A
    11-20-11 11:08 PM
    Its charged up from about 50% using the USB port on my desktop. I don't remember seeing such a drastic improvement. The BB USB Charger came out of my travel bag and the Nokia went back in. The Nokia has a nice long cord too. The USB cable RIM gives you is useless for charging, its not long enough.

2:30pm to 11:12pm and I am still at 64% and for the first time since I got this phone I don't feel pressured to either lay-off or plug-in.

Its a "Nokia AC-6U" AC Travel Charger.

I just ordered a few.

That's what USB cable extenders are for. Want a 25' charger cable? I can do that :P
    11-21-11 01:45 AM
    Slow charge is always the best method. In this case, look for the lowest mAH rating.
    11-21-11 06:33 AM
    USB is slow..
    11-21-11 07:29 AM
    That's what USB cable extenders are for. Want a 25' charger cable? I can do that :P
    Yeah I know about longer USB cables, they are a Buck Fitty for a Fifteen Footer at Monoprice. The point is the Blackberry charger doesn't seem to charge the phones properly and the Nokia charger has a nice long cord to boot.

11-21-11 09:44 AM
    Charger that came with the PlayBook...

5V / 1.8A
    That would be 1800mAh. Seems kinda high. My Wife has been using a Motorola charger on her 9810 that is 5V@850mAh and her phone also has crappy battery life like the 9900 when its plugged into the Blackberry 750mAh charger.

Is it possible charging "Too Slow" can also be less than optimal? Using the USB port on my computer didn't seem to have a positive impact. Using the USB port didn't seem slow either. I think I need to find the specs on the USB port I was using. Its a Lian-Li card reader plugged into the motherboard headers in my desktop. It uses two headers and may not have the exact same specs a 2.0 motherboard header has.

11-21-11 09:52 AM
    I might be wrong but I believe it has something to do with the amount of time it is left on the charger after it says 100%. If I take mine off as it reaches 100% it goes down rather quickly, if I leave it on a few hours it goes down a lot slower.
    11-21-11 10:14 AM
    FYI lithium-polymer batteries don't get trickle charged. As far as I can tell, the phones will drop to around 98% or so before another charging cycle begins to bring it back up to 100%.

I'm a big believer in slow charging. I try to charge at 0.4-0.6C, which usually means using the 500 mA (no "h", that's for capacity rating) USB port.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    11-21-11 08:37 PM
    I had the 9900 plugged into the Nokia charger today for a couple hours and it only reached about 60% but it has been slow to drain. Tonight it will charge on the Nokia overnight. Then we can see how it goes.

11-22-11 06:34 PM
    I let the 9900 charge over night using the 5V@550mAh Nokia charger. Battery life is now more inline with my 9000 but I am using the 9900 more often because it is able to do so much more than the old 9000 and it is able to do these things in a much shorter period of time.

11-26-11 08:33 AM
    Thanks for the heads up, I've ordered the UK one from Amazon, for a whole 1p & free shipping (Black Friday promo)

And in the voice of Dr Pepper 'Whats the worst that can happen'
    11-26-11 11:14 AM
    Thanks for the heads up, I've ordered the UK one from Amazon, for a whole 1p & free shipping (Black Friday promo)

And in the voice of Dr Pepper 'Whats the worst that can happen'
    I found two on the cheap so I can set one up for my Wifes 9810. I don't see how you would not notice the difference. On the Blackberry charger the phone would not last long enough for the average working day. I think with the Nokia you will have enough juice to get you through the average working day with reasonable use. Even when I am streaming Pandora or watching YouTube a lot, I still have enough power to get me through. The .261, .474, .503 OS's along with the Blackberry charger left me with a dead phone more often than not.

11-26-11 09:48 PM
    Interesting thread!

I'm still on the same battery that came with my 8310 five years ago, only just now am I having trouble with running low before the day is out, amd I use it a lot for web use and email.

The charger that came with this phone was a 5V@700mA, and I quickly found that it didn't charge as well as the old 5V@550mA that I had for the old style motorola razor, so I've been using this one for the last 5 years, and also found that it had a longer life if I left it on a long time after it reached 100%, typically over night. I know they aren't supposed to trickle charge, but *something* was happening to make a difference. I have the 9900 on order, so I think I will stick with the chargers that I've been using!
    11-26-11 10:40 PM
    Judging by the size, price, and heat of the new Blackberry charger I get the impression it isn't very well made. Having your battey completely drain shortens the life of the battery too.

My Wife had an 8310, that phone would last sooooooo long on a single charge. That was the reason I bought the 9000 in 2008 because her 8310 was such a good phone.

11-26-11 10:48 PM
    I let the 9900 charge over night using the Nokia charger.

I just downloaded an hour long MP4 and Watched it. My Battery is now at 82%. I used my 4G connection only to download the MP4.

I also have/had 3 extra programs running in the background.

MemoryUp
    NetworkAcc
    BatteryPlus

11-28-11 10:01 AM
    All I know is I will never use my PB charger to charge my device ever again.

When I was rocking a 9630 Tour, my charger started to go out, wouldn't charge my battery fully. So I started to use my PB charger, and my battery life tanked shortly after I started using it. I haven't had that charger anywhere near my 9930, and I'm getting fantastic battery life. The Tour battery was less than 2 years old, so I don't think that would've been the issue...
    11-28-11 11:57 AM
    11-28-11 12:17 PM
    11-28-11 01:14 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD