Since the official launch of BES10 in June 2013, it is noticeable that the downloads for the software for both Android and Apple have been somewhat weak. Downloads of BES10 Client for Android is only within a range of 100 K - 500 K. Reception for the BES10 Client for Apple is poor as well

Good to hear your thoughts on the above.
    07-17-13 10:35 AM
    how do you know the numbers?
    07-17-13 10:39 AM
    I've had 1-5 coffee's already this morning but even I have to wonder where you got those #'s from..... If the low end of your range is correct for both Android and Apple would be around 200k downloads total at $99 per year its almost 20 Million. (in blackberry's pocket)
    dusdal likes this.
    07-17-13 10:42 AM
    Since the official launch of BES10 in June 2013, it is noticeable that the downloads for the software for both Android and Apple have been somewhat weak. Downloads of BES10 Client for Android is only within a range of 100 K - 500 K. Reception for the BES10 Client for Apple is poor as well

Good to hear your thoughts on the above.
    Not really knowledgeable in the area but, if I understand correctly, enterprise as a whole is notorious for late adoption. . . once a couple of key government contracts are made adoption should speed up (somewhat. . .). Correct me if I wrong but there are currently 18000 service installations including 60% of fortune 500 companies. . .apparently that's a big deal but I have no way to verify that it is in fact a good number. . .
    07-17-13 10:44 AM
    Here's the problem. Many businesses have licenses with other MDM services, such as MobileIron, who handle the management of Android and iOS devices. They have invested money into them and many have long relationships with the later companies. As such, to immediately adopt the new service is a little difficult. As well, many are skeptical (my work included). As nice as it would be to have all the devices in one MDM system, BES10's management system for Android and iOS has yet to be proven as being as effective.

I'm hoping we make the switch in time, but for now, we have to wait until our licenses expire next year.
    07-17-13 10:48 AM
    Here's the problem. Many businesses have licenses with other MDM services, such as MobileIron, who handle the management of Android and iOS devices. They have invested money into them and many have long relationships with the later companies. As such, to immediately adopt the new service is a little difficult. As well, many are skeptical (my work included). As nice as it would be to have all the devices in one MDM system, BES10's management system for Android and iOS has yet to be proven as being as effective.

I'm hoping we make the switch in time, but for now, we have to wait until our licenses expire next year.
    Again I'm not most informed in this but I was under the impression that for companies with existing BES Servers BES10 would be the most cost effective BYOD solution...of course the next question would be how many companies are still running these server? BlackBerry would have us belive a majority of fortune 500 companies are but who knows...

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 12:12 PM
    Correct me if I wrong but there are currently 18000 service installations including 60% of fortune 500 companies. . .apparently that's a big deal but I have no way to verify that it is in fact a good number. . .
    Per BB, there are approx. that many evaluation installs of BES10, but that doesn't mean that anywhere close to that many are actually in the production environment. Many businesses (often one IT guy in a business) downloaded and installed it (free eval for a year) with no real intention of actually deploying it. BB has not shared any numbers of BES10 servers in production.

The hope was that people with BES7 servers would all move to BES10, to manage their BB10 devices along with iOS and Android (since most companies are either going BYOD, or having multiple device options), but it seems that most companies aren't moving to BB10 at all, and are just migrating from BB7 straight to iOS/Android.

BES10's only differentiating feature is being able to manage BB10 devices, so if a company isn't adopting BB10, there's no reason for them to use BES10 over a competing MDM software that manages iOS/Android just fine. That's why it was so critical to BBRY's success to do well with BB10 adoption: other lines of business are tied to BB10's success. Unfortunately, BB10 has fared poorly in the market so far, which means that expectations for BES10 can't be very high either.
    07-17-13 03:20 PM
    Price point will come into play as well. BB10 being useful beyond BB devices keeps them in the game, without that change they would have been finished in corporate.
    07-17-13 03:28 PM
    Per BB, there are approx. that many evaluation installs of BES10, but that doesn't mean that anywhere close to that many are actually in the production environment.
    There are quite a few references to the OPs numbers on the net. But even the BlackBerry release verifies your numbers.

�Most of our customers have been planning to support three mobile operating systems � iOS, Android and either Windows Phone or BlackBerry,� MobileIron CEO Bob Tinker told Bloomberg Businessweek. �The recent results indicate that BlackBerry is not going to be the third.� MobileIron produces smartphone management software currently used by more than 5,000 companies.

BlackBerry had little to say in response to the report, but the company did rehash the solid BES10 figures it has pointed to several times in the past. �We have seen a very enthusiastic response to BES10 from our customer base,� BlackBerry�s SVP of enterprise software Pete Devenyi said, noting that 18,000 companies have tested or deployed BES10 so far. �The adoption of BB10 has been very much in accordance with our expectations.�
    07-17-13 03:49 PM
    Again I'm not most informed in this but I was under the impression that for companies with existing BES Servers BES10 would be the most cost effective BYOD solution...of course the next question would be how many companies are still running these server? BlackBerry would have us belive a majority of fortune 500 companies are but who knows...

Posted via CB10
    You're not wrong, but I think you're vastly overestimating how quickly large companies move on IT decisions.

BTW, there are very good reasons for that sometimes. We adopted BES10 pretty much as soon as it became available, and wound up having to scramble a bit to upgrade to 10.1. It wasn't horrible, but frankly we would have been better off just moving straight from 5.0.1 to 10.1.
    Kendall Oei likes this.
    07-17-13 03:52 PM
    Per BB, there are approx. that many evaluation installs of BES10, but that doesn't mean that anywhere close to that many are actually in the production environment. Many businesses (often one IT guy in a business) downloaded and installed it (free eval for a year) with no real intention of actually deploying it. BB has not shared any numbers of BES10 servers in production.

The hope was that people with BES7 servers would all move to BES10, to manage their BB10 devices along with iOS and Android (since most companies are either going BYOD, or having multiple device options), but it seems that most companies aren't moving to BB10 at all, and are just migrating from BB7 straight to iOS/Android.

BES10's only differentiating feature is being able to manage BB10 devices, so if a company isn't adopting BB10, there's no reason for them to use BES10 over a competing MDM software that manages iOS/Android just fine. That's why it was so critical to BBRY's success to do well with BB10 adoption: other lines of business are tied to BB10's success. Unfortunately, BB10 has fared poorly in the market so far, which means that expectations for BES10 can't be very high either.
    You got the half story right..thr part that you missed is what BlackBerry has done, no one has done with BB10....its security partition is at the OS level unlike other vendors which do a container at application level....Add there own data networks on top of it and you have got the Fort Knox security that no one can't break.
    It will take time to ramp up bit what they have with BES 10 is very solid and levels above competition.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 04:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately, there's no magic switch. There has to be a process to wean devices off of other mdm solutions. There has to be a testing phase, work out the kinks phase, approval phase and roll-out phase. Not to mention a testing of the device phase.
    07-17-13 04:45 PM
    how do you know the numbers?
    Android Play Store..
    07-17-13 05:47 PM
    I've had 1-5 coffee's already this morning but even I have to wonder where you got those #'s from..... If the low end of your range is correct for both Android and Apple would be around 200k downloads total at $99 per year its almost 20 Million. (in blackberry's pocket)
    Android Play Store. I believe the actual adoption may not necessary be as high as 200K as there could be many who have downloaded it without knowing that a BES10 server is required. Again am not sure this is still a fair reflection
    07-17-13 05:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not for mine, apparently. We had been running a legacy BES and supporting iOS and Android with Good. Because our email is Lotus Notes (no comment), the decision was made to supplant Good with Lotus Traveler on Domino, which is definitely superior to Good. Unfortunately, the BYOD share for BlackBerry had plummeted from 100%, when we were BB only prior to 2010, to under 20%, all people riding out their contracts on legacy devices. The legacy BES is being kept around to support these people, but BES10 is not in the cards. The IT director has no faith in BB's future.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    07-17-13 06:14 PM
    There are quite a few references to the OPs numbers on the net. But even the BlackBerry release verifies your numbers.

BlackBerry’s SVP of enterprise software Pete Devenyi said, noting that 18,000 companies have tested or deployed BES10 so far. “The adoption of BB10 has been very much in accordance with our expectations.”[/I]
    "Tested" means someone downloaded BES10 and installed it on a server. That could be a Fortune 500 company doing an official evaluation, a single IT guy who did it on his own to evaluate for a future MDM proposal, or it could be a tech-savvy plumber in Racine, WI who bought a Z10 and wants to see if BES10 would be useful for his 10-person small business. There's no way to know. While it shows interest/curiosity, it certainly doesn't show REVENUE for BBRY.

What matters are paid accounts. BBRY hasn't given any numbers on those to anyone.

Those companies who are going to roll out BB10 devices are likely to be the majority of BES10 adopters, because they are the only ones for whom BES10 will have an advantage over other MDM products. Companies moving to iOS/Android only can (and likely will) use one of the market leader's MDM products instead. Why wouldn't they? In most cases, those other MDM companies focus solely on MDM, and don't have the BBRY stigma attached to them that comes with stock market losses, talks of take-overs, and other bad press.

BB10 devices have to sell well in order to sell BES10, and to date, they haven't.
    07-17-13 06:28 PM

The hope was that people with BES7 servers would all move to BES10, to manage their BB10 devices along with iOS and Android (since most companies are either going BYOD, or having multiple device options), but it seems that most companies aren't moving to BB10 at all, and are just migrating from BB7 straight to iOS/Android r.
    Problem is you can't just upgrade from BES7 to BES10. As long as you have legacy BlackBerry devices you have to leave your current BES up and running and use BES10 to manage it. Just seems like someone sat down and wrote a list of all the things that would make switching to the new BB10 platform difficult... and that is what BBRY did.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 08:29 PM
    Problem is you can't just upgrade from BES7 to BES10. As long as you have legacy BlackBerry devices you have to leave your current BES up and running and use BES10 to manage it. Just seems like someone sat down and wrote a list of all the things that would make switching to the new BB10 platform difficult... and that is what BBRY did.

Posted via CB10
    I thought that was originally true, but not now. I could be completely wrong.
    07-18-13 07:12 AM
    I thought that was originally true, but not now. I could be completely wrong.
    Still true. BES7 servers cannot be upgraded to BES10, you have to have a separate BES10 server and maintain your existing BES7 server until all BBOS devices have been removed from the network.
    07-18-13 02:47 PM
    I see a lot of NEW posters who are posting nothing but negative bs and misinformation.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 03:41 PM
    Still true. BES7 servers cannot be upgraded to BES10, you have to have a separate BES10 server and maintain your existing BES7 server until all BBOS devices have been removed from the network.
    No. All devices can be administered by a single BES10 server.

Technically, no, BES 5 can't be "upgraded"; you build a new BES10 instance and migrate all users to it. It is not like Mobile Fusion where you needed to maintain legacy BES alongside, though.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    07-21-13 01:11 AM
    No wonder, my company installed bes10 but noone from BlackBerry ever followed up or called us to see how is evaluation going. We are trellia, old bes and bes10 but why would management care for bes10 when when noone from BlackBerry is interested.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 03:31 AM