Alright all you streaming radio users out there...which service do you think is better between Slacker and FlyCast? What are your reasons? Is one a bigger memory hog than the other? Does one have better music choices? Is one more reliable than the other? Anything else you can add would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to decide which one will be best to put on my Curve 8330.

Thanks Crackberry Nation!
    03-16-09 09:45 AM
    Ha this is easy for me. Flycast is better for me. Slacker doesn't work for me in Canada..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 09:56 AM
    I'll keep that in mind if I ever move to Canada, lol. I live in the the U.S. so I can use either service.
    03-16-09 10:12 AM
    They are different types of radio solutions. Slacker is less internet radio and more like the pre-programed FM stations that have cropped up in the past few years. They have groups of genres and more highly tailored subgroups. You can create customized stations based on artist selection. There's not talk, sports, etc., because there's not "live" feed.

Flycast brings you a large variety of internet radio.

The main advantage of Slacker is caching which downloads music to your SD card for uninterrupted playback.

Flycast's memory footprint is much smaller than Slacker.
    03-16-09 10:18 AM
    I haven't tried flycast but I've notice that when you run Slacker the memory consumption is horrible to the point where navigating their menus is difficult. Once it is playing then I can swith to other apps and have no problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 10:24 AM
    Slacker FTW...
    03-16-09 11:02 AM
    Hi

read with interest your debate and i tried to download flycast but then could not open the "jad" file...
    Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Lenny
    03-16-09 11:24 AM
    Thanks for the input thus far. Sounds like I may want to download both. I like the idea of being able to cache "stations" to my SD card with Slacker but would also enjoy having access to sports talk radio via FlyCast.

Keep up the feedback.
    03-16-09 12:13 PM
    Slacker is horrible memory hog and you have to have an SD card installed to properly Use slacker. Slacker uses the SD card for its "Cache" or "buffer" for the music playing
    Last edited by Bigdaddy2009; 03-20-09 at 12:07 PM.
    03-16-09 12:17 PM
    Anyone had issues getting the flycast.jad file to download on a Curve running OS 4.5? Keeping getting "Download Failed!" message because "907 Invalid COD File not found."

Any suggestions?
    03-16-09 01:53 PM
    Slacker is horrible memory hog and you have to have an SD card installed to Use slacker. Slacker uses the SD card for its "Cache" or "buffer" for the music playing
    Did you try to use Slacker without a memory card, or are you just saying this?
    Slacker only uses the memory card for caching - if you don't have one inserted, you're still able to stream perfectly fine.
    03-16-09 02:32 PM
    Did you try to use Slacker without a memory card, or are you just saying this?
    Slacker only uses the memory card for caching - if you don't have one inserted, you're still able to stream perfectly fine.
    i took my SD card out a long time ago and decided to try it. (Slacker) it popped up with a message saying i needed to insert an SD card so Slacker could use it for its "Cache" i clicked ok and it exited Slacker. removed and installed again, same thing
    03-16-09 02:59 PM
    Alright all you streaming radio users out there...which service do you think is better between Slacker and FlyCast? What are your reasons? Is one a bigger memory hog than the other? Does one have better music choices? Is one more reliable than the other? Anything else you can add would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to decide which one will be best to put on my Curve 8330.

Thanks Crackberry Nation!

I have tried both, and I like Slacker. I did not like the setup of flycast, and I think I just got use to Slacker anyway.

Slacker is horrible memory hog and you have to have an SD card installed to Use slacker. Slacker uses the SD card for its "Cache" or "buffer" for the music playing
    I don't have an SD card in my 8330, nor have I ever and I use slacker every day at the gym. I don't Cache any stations, because I like to listen to random songs and not the same thing over and over.

So you can use slacker without an SD card, as I do it every day with no problems at all.
    03-16-09 03:16 PM
    I have tried both, and I like Slacker. I did not like the setup of flycast, and I think I just got use to Slacker anyway.

I don't have an SD card in my 8330, nor have I ever and I use slacker every day at the gym. I don't Cache any stations, because I like to listen to random songs and not the same thing over and over.

So you can use slacker without an SD card, as I do it every day with no problems at all.

HMM.. thats weird.. you have to do anything different?
    03-16-09 04:01 PM
    I was able to get it to work on my 8350i with the sd card out.. Didn't do anything different, so I'm not sure what caused your trouble. They have released a lot of new versions, so it may have been added in an update sometime.
    03-16-09 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD