I'll be in Italy in early September and wonder if Skype Mobile will be at all useful from my Storm2. Based on my very limited knowledge, it appears that Skype Mobile is only usable on the Verizon Network in the U.S. But when I try to use Skype Mobile here I get a message saying that the call will go over the Verizon network. That doesn't make a lot of sense. Also, I am wondering whether Skype Mobile will work internationally in wifi areas. In the alternative, if I swap in an Italian SIM card would that help in any way other than switching me to lower cost local calls. Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-10 01:49 PM
    The way that it works is that if you are doing a Skype to Skype call, there is no charge for said call. If you're doing a Skype to landline call, then it will use your normal plan minutes.
    07-30-10 01:59 PM
    I wasn't clear. My questions:
    1. When I call within the U.S., I get a message that says the call is going over the Verizon network (and using my minutes). So what's the benefit?
    2. Can Skype Mobile be used outside the U.S.? If so, do I have to be in a hotspot or will the call go out over the Verizon network or a local network (depending on the SIM card being used)?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-10 02:10 PM
    I'd look into using Google Voice as an alternative if Skype Mobile doesn't work out.
    07-30-10 02:37 PM
    The Skype BlackBerry application can only be used while you (and the device) are physically in the US and only works on the Verizon network in the US.
    07-30-10 04:46 PM
    But does using skype mobile while both HE and the DEVICE are in the US use his mobile minutes? If so then there is NO/limited benefit in using Skype mobile???
    07-30-10 06:46 PM
    Yes. That's correct. As indicated in post #2.
    07-30-10 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD