I have a Blackberry on ATT service without a Data Plan... I wonder why??

I bought a used BlackBerry 8320 that I was able to use overseas...
    It was a T-Mobile phone (bought used off of ebay) It was an UNLOCKED PHONE.

I hooked this phone up on ATT,,,, telling them it was not a blackberry.. The serial number did not come up on their system because it was an Unlocked T-Mobile Phone.. (Learned this later).. and they could not verify it was a blackberry from the fact that it was not an ATT Phone and they did not have the serial number of the phone already,, as being a Blackberry..
    (I think this is correct).. I do know that they can not say it is a blackberry.. That is a fact I have confirmed talking with them..

So,, I am able to use the phone for texting, calling,, and I can use the WIFI for everything else.. I don't have ATT Service at my home, so the phone won't work there... BUT...
    I had a problem with getting charged for Data usage, even though there was no service.. So,, I had a DATA BLOCK put on the phone...
    I am still able to use the WIFI to browse the Internet.

Maybe this is a way for getting phone service with a WIFI or SMARTPHONE without having to buy a data package...
    Can someone confirm this??? Does this sound right? Can I do it again?

Also,, will a phone with no cellular carrier that has WIFI still work using Skype... Note: in order to use a phone in China with their service, you have to have a SIM capable phone.. I have successfully used this Unlocked T-Mobile phone over there, so if I can find a phone with a Sim Card that works with Skype,,, it will give me what I am looking for.. Not sure which phone if any fit this requirement, and does it have to be Unlocked in order to do this??

But,,, Skype is not supported on this 8320 phone, so the search continues..
    If anyone who knows about Locked/Unlocked phones,,, do I have to have an Unlocked phone to use the China or some other Country or providers SIM chip? If I can find a phone with a Sim that supports SKYPE, it would be nice to have this phone while traveling...

I don't want to buy another phone that supports skype, take it overseas,, and find out, once I am there that the Phone does not work on ChinaMobile or some other carrier because of some Lock/Unlock issue..

To my understanding,, SKYPE only works on Verizon phones.. That means no Sim to me.. If this is the case, I would take a Verizon smart phone, no service, and only use it to use Skype while connected to WIFI.

Keep my old 8320 ATT/Tmobile to swap Sims and have a china local phone where I can receive calls, and a SKYPE Phone to make calls.
    I have a phone card from www enjoyprepaid dot com.. But, I have found that the local numbers to call while in china or other places,, don't allways work.. So, I am trying to sure up the capability to make outbound calls from a phone,, without waiting to get back to the hotel to make them on the Laptop with Skype.

Thanks a bunch if anyone can shed some insite on this...
    01-30-12 04:29 PM
    Wow, that was a lot of non-information ....

As to the Skype issue, which is at the crux of what you seem to be saying, I think ...

The Skype BlackBerry application only works on Verizon branded devices while on the Verizon network in the United States. It does not work on WiFi.

(Note that it also works on the 3 Network and Telkomsel in Indonesia, but that's all.)
    01-30-12 05:07 PM
    Yes,, I believe that is correct,, skype being available On Blackberry on Verizon only..
    I am pretty sure that Skype will work on ATT, Tmobile, etc.. Just now looking into that.

But,, are you sure about Skype not work using Wifi?
    I would think that Skype, originally designed to work on IP/Internet, and via Wifi,, would use the Wifi part of the smartphone, rather than using the cellphone network..

I think also,, no charges for air time, while using skype.
    And, I have heard some people trying to use skype for International calls, etc.. and using skype while at home where they do not have internet service..

I am cellphone limited at my home also, so this is a high interest area for me..
    I did call ATT today.. I have no service at home with ATT..

I am still paying for their service.. (past 4 years) keeping my thousands of roll over minutes,, not wanting to sign up and get stuck in a contract.. I know... But,, 4 years ago, there were no Go phones. I want to delete the service, keep a phone with skype, that I can use when I travel, because I have to have a Sim Based phone overseas to use their local service.

I can purchase a ATT smartphone, or T-Mobile Smartphone-Unlocked,, and purchase a prepaid package whenever I get ready to travel.. and not have to buy a data package.

On my 8320, I can kill the Mobile service and still use the wifi and apps on the phone that are Internet related. Can't load skype to verify it though.

I am hoping to do the same,, with a Smartphone that will support SKYPE,,, and only pay for the service when I am gone on a trip, to give me a fresh number that only a few that knows how much it costs to say hello,, that might use it. Then carry my Verizon phone for texting, etc.. and having a backup, in case something else does not work.

Twice I have been to China.. Once verizon worked fine, ATT did not, next vice versa. You never know, and forget getting it fixed.
    01-30-12 05:59 PM
    Maybe you should take a look at this Answers to FAQs about skype mobile

Basically, Skype will only work within the US, so you won't be able to call from China. Also, Skype will NOT work over wifi. Skype Mobile works differently than on a PC.
    01-30-12 06:48 PM
    I am pretty sure that Skype will work on ATT, Tmobile, etc.. Just now looking into that.
    Please re-read my first post. And yes, I'm sure about it.

But,, are you sure about Skype not work using Wifi?
    I would think that Skype, originally designed to work on IP/Internet, and via Wifi,, would use the Wifi part of the smartphone, rather than using the cellphone network..
    Please re-read my first post. And yes, I'm sure about it.

The Skype BlackBerry app ONLY works in the US (on Verizon devices). It does not work on WiFi.

You need to look at a device other than a BlackBerry if you are insistent about using Skype.
    01-30-12 06:57 PM
    Ok.. I'll have to do that.. I am not married to Blackberry,, although I really like them.., I just need another option for overseas contact to back home.

Sorry about doubting you on the not being to use it on wifi.. It just doesn't make sense to me.. Course neither does only supporting it only on Verizon phones.
    But,, I am glad that you made that note to me,, I would never have expected not being able to use it via wifi either...

A follow up question:
    Do I need to have an unlocked phone to be able to change sims in the phone and use the (ATT or TMobile) phone in China, on say ChinaMobile?
    I have confirmed that the phone has to be Unlocked, to say,, use Tmobile on ATT and vice versa.. My 8320 was unlocked when I bought it,, and it works,, so I don't know if it had to be unlocked or not, to work over there...

Thanks a bunch guys.. the more I know, the less mistakes I make.
    Again,, Thank You..
    MarkT.
    01-30-12 08:06 PM
    Yes, the device needs to be unlocked in order to use a SIM card different from the carrier to which the device is branded.

It may or may not already be unlocked but once it is, you will be able to use a SIM card compatible with the device.
    01-30-12 08:17 PM
    I wish that Skype did work on blackberries but money talks and nobody walks. verison, in their quest for greed, locked up Skype for their blackberries only and taking away wifi forced the berries to use data only and not wifi. F...k verizon!.. I have Skype on my Android Nexus S WITH Skype and can use it either thru OTA (will use data but not minutes) or thru wifi (where verizon don't get any money from those wifi calls). I was in Serbia last year and used Skype/Android/NexusS over wifi for cheap calls back to the USofA. It's all about the money! If RIM could get Skype onto the Blackberries, this would be awsome! There just needs to be some spunk and backbone on RIM's part to push for Skype for Blackberries for both wifi and ota and I do know that Mack and Mire (former dual CEO's of RIM did not have the "Ba...ls" to push for it). After all, voip is the way to go and it will really eat into the cash cow "minutes plan". Common RIM and SKype! Get it together!
    01-30-12 10:15 PM
    Simple:
    Skype is exclusive for Verizon with Blackberry devices.
    At&t is charging you for data automatically when some data is used while the radio connection is on (they add you data plan automatically)
    It has nothing to do with the fact that your Blackberry is unlocked.
    01-31-12 12:33 PM
    Please clarify the last post.. blackberry-unlocking710..
    AT&T does not require you to have a data plan. I have a blackberry 8320 without a dataplan. I even have a block on the data, but I can still get to the Internet to browse, etc.. The phone does not support skype.. Older phone.
    When you talk about skype on ATT,, and "When some data is used while the radio connection is on"..
    Are you saying that if you turn the radio off,, skype will not work on an ATT phone... Be it an AnDroid obviously, since blackberry does not support Skype on ATT..

I don't have service at home for ATT, and would surely want to use it via Wifi ONLY, since I don't have ATT at home.

Thanks.
    01-31-12 09:16 PM
    Skype on Verizon works by placing a call into their system, then connects to Skype's network. It isn't true VOIP, especially since the Qualcomm processor in the CDMA devices dont have the capability to do VOIP. The only BB app that Skype has released relies on Verizon's voice network. It won't work on AT&T, with or without a data plan.

The Marvell processor in the GSM BBs can do VOIP, and there are a couple of SIP apps out. There just isn't a Skype app.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    02-01-12 08:07 AM
    Ok.. I'll have to do that.. I am not married to Blackberry,, although I really like them.., I just need another option for overseas contact to back home.

Sorry about doubting you on the not being to use it on wifi.. It just doesn't make sense to me.. Course neither does only supporting it only on Verizon phones.
    But,, I am glad that you made that note to me,, I would never have expected not being able to use it via wifi either...

A follow up question:
    Do I need to have an unlocked phone to be able to change sims in the phone and use the (ATT or TMobile) phone in China, on say ChinaMobile?
    I have confirmed that the phone has to be Unlocked, to say,, use Tmobile on ATT and vice versa.. My 8320 was unlocked when I bought it,, and it works,, so I don't know if it had to be unlocked or not, to work over there...

Thanks a bunch guys.. the more I know, the less mistakes I make.
    Again,, Thank You..
    MarkT.
    Why don't you get a cheap used T-Mobile BlackBerry since it has UMA and then you would be able to make calls for free when you are on Wi-fi?
    02-01-12 08:25 AM
    jesus, what a ******!
    12-07-12 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD