http://www.imore.com/2012/06/11/eyes...rate-siri-car/

Automotive Solutions

Looks like siri is coming to some cars. Wonder if its any of the 25 million running qnx.
    06-11-12 05:17 PM
    omg i wondered the exact same thing. whether apple had to speak to rim about putting it in cars and maybe license siri for bb10

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using CrackBerry forums application
    06-11-12 05:21 PM
    I believe Siri is coming to cars through a connection, either Bluetooth or wired, with an actual iPhone and the cars having a button that activates it.

RIM/QNX have the entire car's "infotainment" system running QNX with all of the car's features communicating with QNX.

Also, QNX is not the only in-car entertainment system, as many manufactures have their own proprietary system.

Siri will NEVER come to a BB10 device as Apple will never let that happen.
    06-11-12 05:25 PM
    I think RIM is looking into licensing AT&T's Watson, but should be easy for them to support Siri queries in the QNX infotainment devices if the hooks are made available to them.
    06-11-12 05:26 PM
    Aren't Watson and Siri the same thing basically. Both offer voice recognition to answer simple commands using a network to pull in the data from the Web?

Siri is only "amazing" because Apple said so and Watson hasn't been showcased and paraded like Siri
    Last edited by TW93; 06-11-12 at 05:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    06-11-12 05:29 PM
    Car manufacturers would insist that QNX runs all mobile devices. & will also have their own custom GUIs ect. The difference between a BB, Android, or iPhone is that the BB will have a better more seamless intergration.
    06-11-12 05:39 PM
    Aren't Watson and Siri the same thing basically. Both offer voice recognition to answer simple commands using a network to pull in the data from the Web?

Siri is only "amazing" because Apple said so and Watson hasn't been showcased and paraded like Siri
    yea Watson is more serious & mature then Siri who runs around lifting her skirt to everybody showing them all that she has
    06-11-12 05:41 PM
    I don't know exactly how "Eyes Free" is supposed to work, but I'm gathering the driver must have the car connected to his iPhone for it to work.

Yes, QNX's automotive systems currently integrate very well with iPhones. This is NOT "Siri being written for QNX", it's "QNX being written to talk to Siri". Big difference.
    06-11-12 05:42 PM
    I don't know exactly how "Eyes Free" is supposed to work, but I'm gathering the driver must have the car connected to his iPhone for it to work.

Yes, QNX's automotive systems currently integrate very well with iPhones. This is NOT "Siri being written for QNX", it's "QNX being written to talk to Siri". Big difference.
    I still don't see Apple letting RIM use Siri, seeing as current 3rd Party Apps can't even talk to her.

RIM will stick to Watson regardless. Thorsten mentioned that RIM changes it's mind too often too late and that is what causes the delays. No need to change everything for a glorified Siri.

Plus, Watson sounds better and more like a personal butler, compared to Siri. I would also accept the name, Nigel.
    06-11-12 05:47 PM
    I still don't see Apple letting RIM use Siri, seeing as current 3rd Party Apps can't even talk to her.
    If Apple wants car makers using QNX infotainment to support "Eyes Free", then they really don't have a choice in the matter. It should be very similar to infotainment systems accessing the Pandora app on an iPhone.
    06-11-12 05:51 PM
    If Apple wants car makers using QNX infotainment to support "Eyes Free", then they really don't have a choice in the matter. It should be very similar to infotainment systems accessing the Pandora app on an iPhone.
    Wouldn't it be weird theoretically having two "personal assistants" with Watson and Siri?

I don't see any pros to having an "eyes-free" for Siri if Watson is already built in.
    06-11-12 05:54 PM
    Plus, as much as this pains Apple, not everyone has an iPhone. Let alone an iPhone that uses Siri.
    06-11-12 05:56 PM
    Wouldn't it be weird theoretically having two "personal assistants" with Watson and Siri?

I don't see any pros to having an "eyes-free" for Siri if Watson is already built in.
    marketing...
    06-11-12 06:15 PM

I think Watson would be considerably more difficult to scale the way it is implemented. It's more powerful, but handling millions of simultaneous queries is a whole different challenge. The Siri team has struggled with that so far. I'm quite sure Watson would be quite a bit more difficult even than that.
    06-11-12 07:55 PM
    Plus, Watson sounds better and more like a personal butler, compared to Siri. I would also accept the name, Nigel.
    I remember reading something years ago about Chrysler in the 80s implementing a male voice that admonished the driver to shut the door, fasten your seat belt, turn off your lights, etc.

Ends up that the male drivers did not like a dude telling them what to do, maybe a female voice would have been more "compliant"!

The "voice" starts about 20 seconds in:
    06-11-12 07:58 PM
    I read today that 75% of the smart phones AT&T sold last quarter were iPhones. Something like 57% of Verizon's smartphone sales were iPhone. When you go to BMW or GM and say I want to work with you to integrate Siri in your cars guess what. If you don't Audi will, or Mercedes, or Chrysler (all names I saw today on the Apple slide). You want to tell those kind of numbers you car doesn't work with the iPhone as well as your competitor's car does? Apparently all of these manufacturers bit into the "wonderful Apple marketing" yet again. Apple knows how to leverage their user base
    06-11-12 08:18 PM
    I think Watson would be considerably more difficult to scale the way it is implemented. It's more powerful, but handling millions of simultaneous queries is a whole different challenge. The Siri team has struggled with that so far. I'm quite sure Watson would be quite a bit more difficult even than that.
    I understand what you're saying. But I would AT&T is a little more beffier in terms of server power compared to Apple, which to my knowledge only has the one data centre they just opened (I could be wrong).
    06-11-12 10:05 PM
    Does anybody actually use Siri? I never see anybody with an Iphone actually using that feature. Most of my friends with Iphones actually turn her off in the settings to save battery power.
    06-11-12 10:49 PM
    yea Watson is more serious & mature then Siri who runs around lifting her skirt to everybody showing them all that she has
    Yes Watson is the one that pin's Siri down while inserting humility into her.
    06-12-12 01:24 AM
    Does anybody actually use Siri? I never see anybody with an Iphone actually using that feature. Most of my friends with Iphones actually turn her off in the settings to save battery power.
    I believe more people would be willing to use it in a car.
    06-12-12 07:28 AM
    omg i wondered the exact same thing. whether apple had to speak to rim about putting it in cars and maybe license siri for bb10
    Something tells me we won't see Siri on BB10
    06-12-12 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD