I bought a 9800 on launch day (in canada), and proceeded to drop it a few days later. I then dropped it several times before I upgraded to a 9900 a week after launch day, giving my 9800 to someone who dropped it almost daily on a large variety of surfaces. Today, the edge of the edging is horrible condition. The other 95% of the phone looks basically brand new though, and it runs better than it used to. My PlayBook is also rather durable. I've dropped it screen first onto pavement, spilled pop on it, tapped excessively hard with long fingernails, used it in very humid conditions, left it in unattended vehicles for hours in weather ranging from -20 to 30 degrees celcius (-4 to 86 for you Fahrenheit users), and crammed it into too-small pockets more times than I'd like to admit, and yet I have no issues with it. On the other hand, half the people I know who have iPod touches (barely an exageration) have some sort of large cracks covering half the screen because it got dropped or stepped on once. Just goes to show that blackberries are built to last, whereas other things... (sentence shall end here in order to not insult other platforms)
    07-07-12 09:35 PM
    I can honestly say I didn't believe the hype when peopled talked about it. I thought it was people just looking to find flaws in the iPhone and picking at the littlest of things, and blowing them out of proportion, but now as an owner, I am truly amazed,

that said dropped calls aren't a big issue for a lot of users, I've met a woman recently who has NEVER made a call on her iPhone4 she's had it for almost a year.
    I have a colleague with a 4S, when we talk it's always garbled. I don't have the heart to tell him. He thinks it's the cat's a-hole.
    07-07-12 09:48 PM
    I've never owned an iPhone so I can't speak for it for the majority of the time. What I do know is the 3 friends of mine that have iPhones can't get any bars when they come over to where I live. It's like a deadzone for them. My wife and I have no issues on our different Android phones, my son's friends have no issues on the BBs and Android phones. And really anyone that doesn't have an iPhone doesn't have any issues. And, no, I don't live in the Boonies.

One of them is on AT&T and two of them on Sprint.
    07-07-12 10:05 PM
    Haven't dropped a call in the year plus I've used it and I don't even own a blue tooth. Never been a problem for me. Now I'm on bell, the only people in my circle of friends that consistently do drop calls regardless of phone are the Rogers folks. Maybe network has something to do with it?

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    Never dropped a call in over a year. Wow, you not only blew away the iPhone stats, you have surpassed every drop call stat for any smart phone ever released in the last ten years. Congratulations. That's pretty magical.
    07-07-12 11:40 PM
    Never dropped a call in over a year. Wow, you not only blew away the iPhone stats, you have surpassed every drop call stat for any smart phone ever released in the last ten years. Congratulations. That's pretty magical.
    It is what it is. Cant explain it, I just haven't had it happen. *shrug* Believe what you want. Last time I remember dropping a call was on my Desire Z in the Montreal subway.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    07-07-12 11:44 PM
    Seems to me dropped calls would have more to do with the carrier than the phone...
    perhaps traffic in your area and the ability of the carrier's local infrastructure to support it are more likely causes, but having the two phones with the same carrier in the same area support deRusett's claims that the phone is the uncommon denominator.
    That is if it is the same carrier - I was too lazy to read back.
    07-08-12 01:43 PM
    Seems to me dropped calls would have more to do with the carrier than the phone...
    perhaps traffic in your area and the ability of the carrier's local infrastructure to support it are more likely causes, but having the two phones with the same carrier in the same area support deRusett's claims that the phone is the uncommon denominator.
    That is if it is the same carrier - I was too lazy to read back.
    Yeah I drop some calls in my house no matter what phone I have.
    Sprint needs to fix their reception lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    07-08-12 02:21 PM
    The iPhone models until the Verizon 4 and the 4S in general sucked for reception, period. My 4S gets awesome reception, as good as my BB.

As far as fragile phones, any phone I have owned or used with a full front touch screen is more fragile than a BB form factor. Even the BB Storm line and 9850's are more fragile, period. It is more a form factor thing than a RIM thing in my opinion. I had as many warranty issues with my many BB's as I have my Droids or iPhone. The iPhone is a very well built phone, much like RIM quality. Mine has been dropped a few times with no issues and the same with my wife's.

I think weight also factors in to the equation. The Thunderbolt was a hoss of a phone and smacked the ground hard.
    07-08-12 04:12 PM
108 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD