Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By openletter
  • 1 Post By DenverRalphy
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default The simple phone features I've been wishing for.

I would like to see a trackpad on the side where the volume buttons are currently located. This would be for scrolling up and down pages. I miss this very comfortable scrolling feature the old wheels (ca. 8700) offered.

To control volume, there could be a button located below the trackpad that toggled functions - my preference would be press once to mute and twice to switch to volume control.

I also wish there was a light sensor on the back so that when strong light comes from behind, the screen is at an appropriate brightness level.

I am glad the new phones allow SD card access without removing the battery. I transfer photos from my camera to my phone and email them. A microSD card is the easiest way to do this, but rebooting the phone is inconvenient.

Simple stuff like this can sell things.
    mrskycar likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,816 Global Posts

I like the scroll wheel idea. Not sure how that would work in terms of water proofing though. Imagine they use touch screen tech on the side though? Just for scrolling. That would be sick.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ahhhh the scroll wheel. It was pretty awesome on my 7130.
    That phone is still one of my all time faves.

The simple phone features I've been wishing for.-blackberry-7130e-1te-460.jpg
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: The simple phone features I've been wishing for.

as for the scrolling, instead of adding hardware (which can cause further complications that BBRY doesn't need, they should incorporate it into the software such as bezel scrolling (though the new phones have very thin bezels)

maybe more software like. like the "psvita fast scrolling"
    BlackBerry Bridge 2.0 shortcuts
    Nokia > Samsung jackII > Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro > Motorola Razr 2 > Torch 9810
    Playbook 16GB > Playbook 32GB > PlayBook 64GB
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    594 Global Posts

Yeppur. I liked the scroll wheel of my 7520 back in the day.
    However I don't really miss it. It had its limitations.
    I much prefer the trackpad of my 9780.

I can see how a small trackpad on the side of a z10 would be handy for scrolling, however, I think a majority would not find it useful and some may find it an issue as they accidentally hit it and scrolled unwillingly just by accident or by the way they were holding the Z.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

@kfh227 If you think your phone is waterproof... you're gonna' have a bad time. I believe the touchpad is basically the same tech as touchscreen.

@Jeovex Adding a feature that makes a device more user-friendly is called innovating, and besides, moving parts are usually more difficult to deal with from both a manufacturing and customer service standpoint than static parts, so the trackpad may well be a reduction in complexity (going from 3 moving parts to one). The Vita method still requires awkward positioning of the hand to scroll.

@BBerryPowerUser As I'm sure you're aware, none of the OS 10 models have a trackpad at all. The function of the trackpad on the side would be primarily scrolling, and not as the sole navigation tool as it was on your 7520. As far as accidentally hitting buttons, I don't see this as being an issue. How often do you accidentally hit the camera button or volume buttons? I have a 9900, and I very rarely accidentally use the trackpad. And besides, I find that the most commonly performed function on my phones has been scrolling down pages, emails, documents, etc., and I suspect the scrollpad would become the #1 most used tool on the phone. How often do you use your mouse scrollwheel?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,708 Global Posts
    PIN
    Temporarily sans BB

How would a track pad scroll more efficiently than simply scrolling on the touchscreen display?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

It's not that easy to understand if you never had one of those older phones, but it is a much more comfortable position to hold the phone in. Instead of holding the phone on your fingers and slowly moving the screen with your awkwardly bent thumb, you hold the phone in your palm and move your thumb naturally. I have frequent issues with accidentally bringing the menu up while scrolling with the touchscreen. It also would somewhat reduce the amount of grease on the screen.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

I think it is analogous to using a scroll wheel. I could come up with lots of reasons that scrolling with the sidebar is better, such as finer control, higher speeds, page up/down, etc, but the fact is that scrolling with the scroll wheel is easier and more convenient. I remember when they first came out in 90s and I paid close to $100 for one without flinching, and all it had over my old mouse was the little wheel in the middle.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,708 Global Posts
    PIN
    Temporarily sans BB

I have used older devices. Scroll wheels and/or track pads are less intuitive than touchscreen scrolling. If you honestly believe your thumb is awkward with a touchscreen, then you're just not used to it. You get more precise scrolling on the screen than you do with a track pad. Inertial and two axis scrolling on the screen beats out a track pad any day.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

If inertial scrolling is the screen moving after I've given a good flick, then that exists on my 9900 trackpad - it is the same capacitive technology so any differences are software.

The majority (80%?) of the scrolling I do is on the y axis.

Most people I've suggested this to who owned the older devices tell me they would also enjoy the feature - and it's not as if it comes at the expense of the touchscreen.

What is unintuitive about a trackpad, particularly a single purpose trackpad like the one I suggest?
    CrackBerry Abuser

A trackpad is a great addition to a touch screen device
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by openletter View Post

@Jeovex Adding a feature that makes a device more user-friendly is called innovating, and besides, moving parts are usually more difficult to deal with from both a manufacturing and customer service standpoint than static parts, so the trackpad may well be a reduction in complexity (going from 3 moving parts to one). The Vita method still requires awkward positioning of the hand to scroll.
    yea that's what I said its better not to add hardware, especially since we are starting a new platform and don't want to include components we may drop in future devices.

I don't see how the vita method is akward can you elaborate?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Well, the guy in the video had difficulty demonstrating its use and it still requires using the touchscreen to scroll, so when holding the phone in your hand the thumb must be used at an unnatural angle.

The scrollpad would be removing hardware making manufacturing easier, so I don't follow your logic. Besides, the new phones already don't have the feature.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by openletter View Post
    Well, the guy in the video had difficulty demonstrating its use and it still requires using the touchscreen to scroll, so when holding the phone in your hand the thumb must be used at an unnatural angle.

The scrollpad would be removing hardware making manufacturing easier, so I don't follow your logic. Besides, the new phones already don't have the feature.
    all I was saying is that its better NOT to add hardware for a feature that could easily be added in by software (I think we didn't understand each other)

and no I just tried it on the vita, the guy in the video sucks at doing it apparently, I just tried if from every angle and it works smoothly and easily, obviously it could be tweeked too by BBRY.