So Apple can never go wrong right now and we all can see that from the media. I was watching a Cnet video and they said one of the most coveted things that users want the iPhone 5 to have is 4G. Now this may not happen now or anytime soon but one day Apple will release a product and make a mistake, whether it is because they get too comfortable on top or to try and save money, but they will slip up in the future.

Think what would happen if the iphone 5 came along without 4G (I can dream right?). Then apple fans think "Maybe I will wait for the next update". Suddenly they have 6 months on their hands or more without an upgrade and they see that the other phones look pretty good! RIM has their 4G QUAD CORE phone out, and it starts getting a little more media support and good reviews. This is what blackberry needs, a slip up (as well as a solid phone and operating system which I believe they will have) where they can get a foot, no scratch that, a toe, nay a baby toe in the door again and win back some customers.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-12-12 10:35 PM
    Blackberry needs a new device with a strong ecosystem nothing more nothing less. If the London has strong 3rd party support I'll buy it, if not I'll buy something else.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    00stryder likes this.
    02-12-12 10:53 PM
    RIM is not gonna win customers back with one good device. They gonna need a good follow up release one after another. Iphone didn't get good customer base just from one iphone. It was the follow up releases that did it.
    02-12-12 10:58 PM
    iPhone 5 will never come out. Because it won't be called iPhone 5. iPhone 4 was called that because it was the 4th iPhone. 4S was the 5th iPhone.

If I have to take a wild guess. The next iPhone will be called iPhone 4G. Then the one after that 4GS.

My guess anyway.
    02-12-12 11:38 PM
    Blackberry needs a new device with a strong ecosystem nothing more nothing less. If the London has strong 3rd party support I'll buy it, if not I'll buy something else.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Ditto. A good ecosystem is huge for me.
    02-12-12 11:40 PM
    Not much of a business strategy waiting for your competition to slip up. While slip ups are inevitable no one can know when it will happen and how long can RIM wait for the elusive slip up.

Best course is to follow your own develpment and ensure a great product. Not that the BB 7 devices aren't great IMO.
    02-13-12 01:27 AM
    Blackberry/Rim don't need a slip they just need to bring out devices when they say they will. I'll also add that the new bb10 device need to be very good and very complete. If they are not apple/google and even microsoft phones will swallow them up.
    02-13-12 02:59 AM
    Yes, a good ecosystems. I wish RIM would be more active on the net. Comes out with video chat/bbm/search engine/browser/free email/ free cloud storage and etc for pc/mac/linux. Maybe comes out with it's own OS.

Wishing for a competitor ill fortune/slip is not a good business practice, IMO. RIM should comes out with better products and better features starting with Playbook. RIM is in the right direction.
    02-13-12 03:49 AM
    I doubt they'll wait for a slip-up. RIM is fine the way they are, I can't wait to try out the new blackberries and see how much more awesomeer they are. I love my 9900 and once three years passes (or if it croaks and I have the cash), i'm on a QNX one. I hope it lasts for 10 years before I get a new one. That way, by then, i'll have a very very nice one.

Good things come to those who wait. My computer is 12, my netbook is 5, my tablet is 7, my television is 14, my oldest color subwoofin' TV is 45. They all work as if they were brand new.
    02-13-12 07:04 AM
    Apple make plenty of mistakes. No mms, no video recording, no notifications, no LED, no profiles and on and on and on...

Each of these was/is hailed as an opportunity for other manufacturers but it hasn't happened.

I guess we'll see. Waiting for Apple to slip up hasn't worked, I'm guessing creating a unique device with mass appeal is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 02-13-12 at 08:46 AM.
    conix67 likes this.
    02-13-12 07:31 AM
    I didn't say anything about waiting for a slip up or that it was good business! I think RIM has a good plan in play and agree hopefully they can deliver! All I meant was it would be nice if apple or one of the big companies made a mistake, especially this year as it would help RIM a lot.
    02-13-12 08:34 AM
    I didn't say anything about waiting for a slip up or that it was good business! I think RIM has a good plan in play and agree hopefully they can deliver! All I meant was it would be nice if apple or one of the big companies made a mistake, especially this year as it would help RIM a lot.
    I must have misunderstood, I didn't realize there was a difference between making a mistake and slipping up.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    02-13-12 08:47 AM
    iPhone 5 will never come out. Because it won't be called iPhone 5. iPhone 4 was called that because it was the 4th iPhone. 4S was the 5th iPhone.

If I have to take a wild guess. The next iPhone will be called iPhone 4G. Then the one after that 4GS.

My guess anyway.
    Well they completely skipped the iPhone2 so who's to say they won't just say screw it and throw a big ol 5 on the name? I don't think Apple cares much about the numbers of there phones as you can see by the S they keep placing on their "new" devices. Technically they have only really had 3 phones since 3GS and 4S are the exact same as the previous models only with better hardware. I just think it would be a stupid move not to just give it a 5 because all the 4's will get confusing and Apple doesnt like that
    02-13-12 09:30 AM
    They just need a product that can do everything the others can and does so in a better way. Then they have to pound it into peoples heads with commercials every half hour like apple does.
    conix67 likes this.
    02-13-12 09:35 AM
    Wishing for the failure/downfall of one particular company isn't going to return RIM to prominence. There are multiple platforms to choose from.
    RIM has to do that on their own, they know it and are well on their way. They just need to convince the masses they have something they will want.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-13-12 10:25 AM
    Ditto. A good ecosystem is huge for me.
    Now that I have a Windows phone, I have the benefit of being able to experience advantages and disadvantages of BBOS and WP on a daily basis. The "app ecosystem" of WP is still weak, but another aspect of the WP ecosystem, the integration of MS Office on the device with SkyDrive, is really very good. The sooner RIM brings in some kind of integrated cloud service, the better.
    02-13-12 10:50 AM
    Now that I have a Windows phone, I have the benefit of being able to experience advantages and disadvantages of BBOS and WP on a daily basis. The "app ecosystem" of WP is still weak, but another aspect of the WP ecosystem, the integration of MS Office on the device with SkyDrive, is really very good. The sooner RIM brings in some kind of integrated cloud service, the better.
    Yes, yes... not just the apps. That cloud functionality, content, etc. I fully agree.
    02-13-12 11:08 AM
    I think it's a mistake to focus solely on Apple as the competitor here. Nokia's new phones are very, very nice and come with Microsoft's mature and complete developer tools. Microsoft's cash is behind them as well.

Apple entered this phone business five years ago and ate RIM's lunch. If RIM isn't careful, Nokia may come back and steal their dinner next. The 800 and 900 are great phones, and are available several months before the first BB10 phone.

I think they should focus on solidifying their third place position first before they worry about numbers one and two.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-13-12 at 11:45 AM.
    02-13-12 11:43 AM
    I think for a company waiting for another to make a mistake for them to prosper is a very bad business model. Strive to make a great product and IF another company makes a mistake seize the moment yes but don't wait for it.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    02-13-12 11:52 AM
    Wishing for the failure/downfall of one particular company isn't going to return RIM to prominence. There are multiple platforms to choose from.
    RIM has to do that on their own, they know it and are well on their way. They just need to convince the masses they have something they will want.
    Well said.

Now, all that aside, Apple and what is a "failure" is highly subjective no? Apple was the first to stick USB ports in their computers before USB was really adopted, and Apple was the first to ship a computer without a floppy disk drive too. The only point I'm getting at by these couple examples is Apple has a long history of taking big industry/product risks and bets. They've made a mistake or two over the years, Jobs has said the same himself, but what I'm saying is one or even two "mistakes" aren't going to greatly damage the name as they've been around since the first consumer oriented computer (since they're the ones who made it) and therefore have a long brand history (it would be totally different if they were a startup or something.) Just as pmccartney said, even if the company did fail, it wouldn't do much to put RIM on top (whatever that means, ie high prominence in the consumer market, business sector, etc.). RIM needs to put RIM on top. A lot of us are here because we love RIM's products and are loyal, but they aren't the biggest fish in the ocean and Apple p*ssing a few people off, what would that really matter between consumers and their view of RIM?
    02-13-12 04:32 PM
    Well they completely skipped the iPhone2 so who's to say they won't just say screw it and throw a big ol 5 on the name? I don't think Apple cares much about the numbers of there phones as you can see by the S they keep placing on their "new" devices. Technically they have only really had 3 phones since 3GS and 4S are the exact same as the previous models only with better hardware. I just think it would be a stupid move not to just give it a 5 because all the 4's will get confusing and Apple doesnt like that
    It was called the iPhone 4 because it was the 4th iteration of the model. The nexthone will technically be the 6th iteration of the phone. All timed to coincide with expiring contracts.

Apple has the business model down to a science.

Each year, there's some type of new phone or "upgrade" to entice consumers into thinking the have a "new" version of the iPhone.

HTC has also begun to mimic this model. EVO, EVO 3d, HTC EVO Design 4g... New phone, upgrade, new phone upgrade...
    02-13-12 07:56 PM
    I think it's a mistake to focus solely on Apple as the competitor here. Nokia's new phones are very, very nice and come with Microsoft's mature and complete developer tools. Microsoft's cash is behind them as well.

Apple entered this phone business five years ago and ate RIM's lunch. If RIM isn't careful, Nokia may come back and steal their dinner next. The 800 and 900 are great phones, and are available several months before the first BB10 phone.

I think they should focus on solidifying their third place position first before they worry about numbers one and two.
    I completely agree! I think windows phone already looks amazing but this is def its year and Nokia is the one to boost them up the chain! well said!
    02-13-12 09:14 PM
    I'm not so sure even a severe mistake on Apple's part would matter. RIM has lost the marketing battle for the moment, they focused too long on promoting phones that do email and BBM and not much else. If Apple were to falter severely, Android would gain, not RIM.

OS2 for the PB is supposed to come out soon, but all the hype is on the iPad3. BB10 should come out the seconds half of the year but all the hype is on iPhone 5. Will it really matter if Apple screws up? RIM is losing its cool factor, and it will take a lot more than a competitor's mistakes to regain it.

I still have hope in the new leadership at RIM.
    02-13-12 11:09 PM
    So Apple can never go wrong right now and we all can see that from the media. I was watching a Cnet video and they said one of the most coveted things that users want the iPhone 5 to have is 4G. Now this may not happen now or anytime soon but one day Apple will release a product and make a mistake, whether it is because they get too comfortable on top or to try and save money, but they will slip up in the future.

Think what would happen if the iphone 5 came along without 4G (I can dream right?). Then apple fans think "Maybe I will wait for the next update". Suddenly they have 6 months on their hands or more without an upgrade and they see that the other phones look pretty good! RIM has their 4G QUAD CORE phone out, and it starts getting a little more media support and good reviews. This is what blackberry needs, a slip up (as well as a solid phone and operating system which I believe they will have) where they can get a foot, no scratch that, a toe, nay a baby toe in the door again and win back some customers.
    Apple aren't infallible. In fact, they've made mistakes before. Remember the antenae issues?

That doesn't help RIM.
    02-13-12 11:56 PM
    The first iPhone didn't even work when Jobs tried to connect a call on stage at the AT&T debut, the third model had connection problems, and the current one has screen issues and battery problems. Apple is not infallible and does not get a free ride from the press. RIM's problems are of its own creation and they will not be solved by waiting for someone else to make a mistake.
    02-14-12 12:12 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD