Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Silent Loyalty - Is Blackberry positioned even better than some of us think?

What I’m about to discuss is purely anecdotal, but it seems everyone I talk to that owns a Blackberry, loves their blackberry…almost to a fault (me included). Over the past few months, my loyalty towards RIM has jumped even more. I think it all started when one of RIM's phone tech’s saved my bacon (my carrier was useless) with my device even thou it was out of warranty and spent over 2 hours with me until not only was my device fixed, but upgraded and running better than ever. I’m not sure if deep down I tend to route for the underdog, or perhaps it’s because I grew up and still live close in RIM’s backyard. I watched them grow from a start up to a world player. I have many friends that work for RIM, so their future success is import to me, all be it indirectly. Regardless of what it is, I love RIM……but I digress.

Back to my anecdotal evidence …… Last night we had our annual Christmas street get together (it alternates year to year to different houses). One of my favorite outings, I can have as much fun as I want, and my bed is staggering distance away. This little annual G2G, brings together all my neighbors, about 20 of us (give or take). Last night I noticed that most everyone brought their phone, and every one, to a person was rocking a BB, not a single iPhone or Droid in sight….for those that like numbers, that’s a 100% market share in the room I was in last night. 9900’s outnumbered the 9810’s, but it was close . RIM became a topic and much to my wife’s surprise, for once it wasn’t me that brought it up. What surprised me in a room of 40-50 year olds is how much everyone knew about BB10, and every single person was planning and waiting to upgrade to it. It’s a theme in my travels I have noticed with most all BB users. It seems everyone that was going to switch, has switched. The rest are sticking with Blackberry. Over the past few months, I can talk to dozens of such situations I have seen, where all I see is BB’s around me, and the folks that have them would have to have them ripped from their cold dead hands before they switched to something else.

Is there a much stronger Silent Loyalty to Blackberry than many of the critics realize?

It’s easy to be skewed and bias to something when you yourself are blinded by it somewhat, but I have tried to keep an open mind. When I hear my daughter come home and talk about BB10, and that the kids are talking about it. When I hear about kids putting off phone purchases to wait and see what BB10 will be like, it makes me wonder. I never heard anyone talking about WP8. Blackberry is all the buzz, at least it seems around me it is.

What have some of you noticed?
    Thanked by:
    sputneek (12-11-2012) 
    shaleem, jakie55, r0v3rT3N and 5 others like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Almost everyone in my social environment takes a **** on my BlackBerry usage. Most of them used to be BlackBerry users, but they used OS 5 and still use their experience with that outdated OS as a reference for anything BlackBerry. I don't even react to it anymore. My 9900 with OS 7.1 is working fine for me. When I get BB OS 10, I'll hopefully get some of 'em to at least try it out with an open mind. If they still think it sucks then.. Well, that's their opinion.
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,612 Global Posts

Im hoping its not like derek kessler and his proud and few. There was a good buzz over at web OS before the last device came out too.
    Ray UM likes this.
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    19,376 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Default Re: Silent Loyalty - Is Blackberry positioned even better than some of us think?

I wish I could share that enthusiam. Mine has eroded....some due to RIM's missteps and some due to family and friends ALL moving away, except for one person. No one in my circle has a BB anymore.

Even had to fight at work to stop a move away from BB.

If there are silent numbers of loyalists, they need to speak up with their wallets.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Abuser

All depends... At my work in the last 1.5 years the amount of people switching from Blackberry is staggering. And it's the girls and guys, old and young. Most see blackberry as not cool anymore. Many that have switched are not loyal to any brand, and were sold on their current phones by salespeople. To me that's not a bad sign, so long as they carrier is pushing blackberry in the future. 80% that have switched have gone Android, mostly Samsungs.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

Default Re: Silent Loyalty - Is Blackberry positioned even better than some of us think?

Just in the last month, three long time BB users at work made a switch, one to Apple, one to Microsoft and the third one to Samsung. I had specifically told them to wait for the bb10 and they can make an informed decision at that time. Still don't understand why they couldn't wait three more months.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,587 Global Posts

I haven't seen a Blackberry in like 6 months, maybe longer. Admittedly, I've been in China for the last 3, and was vacationing for a month before that.
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    I haven't seen a Blackberry in like 6 months, maybe longer. Admittedly, I've been in China for the last 3, and was vacationing for a month before that.
    Ive been in europe for two months and seen maybe 10. And im always looking what they have. Suprisingly the guy checking tickets on the german train saw my phone and showed me his and said he loves it. I proceeded to tell him i was from the city where they are from and he got excited.
    CrackBerry Master

We all know the history behind RIM's fall from grace, RIM knows it all too well. I have no doubt there will be Apple and Droid users who will look at BB again. They left because other vendors provided better options. There are a ton of people that still love BB and they are Apple and Droid users. Once RIM releases BB10 you will see a certain percentage give them a go again. People switch brands all the time.

I think once the word gets out and folks see the new RIM, they will be shocked and IMO the flood gates will open. I know quite a few Apple and Droid users who are just waiting to try BB10.

This all bodes well for RIM. It's only up from here on out. I have been waiting with my trust old 9700 for the release of BB10 as have many diehard BB users, apparantly 80 million of us lol....
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by notafanboy View Post
    Just in the last month, three long time BB users at work made a switch, one to Apple, one to Microsoft and the third one to Samsung. I had specifically told them to wait for the bb10 and they can make an informed decision at that time. Still don't understand why they couldn't wait three more months.
    Everyone I know has switched to android and or Iphone but since the price drop on the Iphone 4 and 4s that's all I see now along with a sea of Samsung phones. My wife is the lone survivor with her 9800 but it has lost many battles with the concrete and is transforming into something else. She is eligible to upgrade in January but will not wait until next summer for the N series which is the only device with a keyboard. I wonder how many people will stay loyal through the holiday season because the carriers in my area have been giving great offers and promotions.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,548 Global Posts

I think what this thread is showing is that it is spotty. You may go to some areas and find a large percentage of BB's but that is not everywhere. I don't think there's enough loyalty with any brand except iPhone. If Rim can bottle that somehow they will be set for the near future. We will have to wait and see.
    Banned

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

@op while it's definitely possible that people are as you put it "silently waiting" its also definitely possible that it's either only going on around you, or likely just being perceived that way because your ears are so open to anything rim. Just maybe.

Having a chance to work in mobile retail, I get to see firsthand just how many people are using what devices and switching to what devices, granted though we're only one of many really busy stores. Still the ratio seems to be about on par with what is presented by the likes of idc's mobile market share reports. Even worse for rim is that this holiday season is by far the busiest holiday season for our store, with a lot of folks switching from bb devices, and not a single person as far as my ears are concerned mentioning bb10. All of my store associates know and discuss bb10 all the time and none of them has heard anyone mention bb10 recently either. If there is some silent loyalty among current and non bb users it must be a pretty big secret Imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    12,707 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    Should vacation in Kitchener-Waterloo. LoL

Actually it's nice in the summer around there.
    "Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Tank Pilot)
    Thanked by:
    vorpalz (12-13-2012) 
    sputneek likes this.
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ynomrah View Post
    @op while it's definitely possible that people are as you put it "silently waiting" its also definitely possible that it's either only going on around you, or likely just being perceived that way because your ears are so open to anything rim. Just maybe.

Having a chance to work in mobile retail, I get to see firsthand just how many people are using what devices and switching to what devices, granted though we're only one of many really busy stores. Still the ratio seems to be about on par with what is presented by the likes of idc's mobile market share reports. Even worse for rim is that this holiday season is by far the busiest holiday season for our store, with a lot of folks switching from bb devices, and not a single person as far as my ears are concerned mentioning bb10. All of my store associates know and discuss bb10 all the time and none of them has heard anyone mention bb10 recently either. If there is some silent loyalty among current and non bb users it must be a pretty big secret Imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Thats exactly what i was saying. It may seem like the whole world is waiting if you come on this site a lot but really its a few thousand loyal fans. WebOS had a countdown on their site too. WebOS was touted as being the best ever OS too. WebOS was said to be easy to develop for too. The playbook has qnx which was said to be the savior at playbook launch. Now the story has changed and they essentially say the third version of qnx is the savior (bb10). I think the position as far as success vs failure is as the media portrays it - do or die. Theres not enough loyal fans foaming at the mouth wanting this to keep RIM afloat. People are going to have to see it first hand and switch back.
    Thanked by:
    Roo Zilla (12-09-2012) 
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bungaboy View Post
    Should vacation in Kitchener-Waterloo. LoL

Actually it's nice in the summer around there.
    No its too humid!!!!
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,079 Global Posts

What surprises me is the number of former BB users who I thought were lost to the "dark side" who have brought up BB10 in conversations with me. This also gives me hope that BB10 will be successful.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigAssBitchin View Post
    Almost everyone in my social environment takes a **** on my BlackBerry usage. Most of them used to be BlackBerry users, but they used OS 5 and still use their experience with that outdated OS as a reference for anything BlackBerry. I don't even react to it anymore. My 9900 with OS 7.1 is working fine for me. When I get BB OS 10, I'll hopefully get some of 'em to at least try it out with an open mind. If they still think it sucks then.. Well, that's their opinion.
    Personally i've tried OS6 and OS7, and i'm glad my 9700 can revert to OS5, as it's quite stable. That being said i'm looking forward to BB10.
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Z10 #BlackBerryByChoice
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,569 Global Posts

I see some BBs here in Dallas but way more other smartphones. I hope that a successful BB10 will catch their attention and that they give it a look for "old time sake" if nothing else.

The available useful apps and marketing campaign will make or break BB10 in the consumer arena IMO.
    sputneek likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    Thats exactly what i was saying. It may seem like the whole world is waiting if you come on this site a lot but really its a few thousand loyal fans. WebOS had a countdown on their site too. WebOS was touted as being the best ever OS too. WebOS was said to be easy to develop for too. The playbook has qnx which was said to be the savior at playbook launch. Now the story has changed and they essentially say the third version of qnx is the savior (bb10). I think the position as far as success vs failure is as the media portrays it - do or die. Theres not enough loyal fans foaming at the mouth wanting this to keep RIM afloat. People are going to have to see it first hand and switch back.
    The comparison to WebOS is not fair. RIM is not going to repeat the mistakes of Palm. WebOS is a pretty awesome OS, and is easy to develop for. But Palm wasn't able to garner the carrier support. They launched in the USA only on the third largest carrier. In Canada only on the second largest carrier. The hardware was also cheaply made. The original Palm Pre was a pretty bad phone. The marketing was worse then even anything RIM has done in the last few years. The commercials are still, three years later the source of jokes. Plus, Palm ran out of money and had literally no other course of income to leverage.

RIM is going to launch on 50 carriers expanding to over 100 through out the year. This includes all 4 of the US top carriers. RIM says they have a killer marketing campaign and have tailored it precisely to BlackBerry people. This has yet to be seen though and the CMO's resume leads me to believe he's more of a carrier man then a comsumer marketing genius.

RIM also has a significant cash reserve that will allow them to pull off their marketing and launch efforts. There will also be a total of 6 phones across market segments from entry level to high end in the first year. Big difference from Palm there.

RIM also has service revenues and is expanding their business into new territories through leveraging QNX and it's customer base. I don't recall Palm ever getting any best in show at CES honors for their automotive platform. RIM is getting into entirely new businesses and their global network infrastructure is a huge asset to help them get into these new areas of business.

In short, RIM has more going for them today then Palm did in 2009. There is no chance that BlackBerry 10 will flop like WebOS simply because it will have much greater availability and RIM has more cash in the bank to push it.
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuperionMaximus View Post
    The comparison to WebOS is not fair. RIM is not going to repeat the mistakes of Palm. WebOS is a pretty awesome OS, and is easy to develop for. But Palm wasn't able to garner the carrier support. They launched in the USA only on the third largest carrier. In Canada only on the second largest carrier. The hardware was also cheaply made. The original Palm Pre was a pretty bad phone. The marketing was worse then even anything RIM has done in the last few years. The commercials are still, three years later the source of jokes. Plus, Palm ran out of money and had literally no other course of income to leverage.

RIM is going to launch on 50 carriers expanding to over 100 through out the year. This includes all 4 of the US top carriers. RIM says they have a killer marketing campaign and have tailored it precisely to BlackBerry people. This has yet to be seen though and the CMO's resume leads me to believe he's more of a carrier man then a comsumer marketing genius.

RIM also has a significant cash reserve that will allow them to pull off their marketing and launch efforts. There will also be a total of 6 phones across market segments from entry level to high end in the first year. Big difference from Palm there.

RIM also has service revenues and is expanding their business into new territories through leveraging QNX and it's customer base. I don't recall Palm ever getting any best in show at CES honors for their automotive platform. RIM is getting into entirely new businesses and their global network infrastructure is a huge asset to help them get into these new areas of business.

In short, RIM has more going for them today then Palm did in 2009. There is no chance that BlackBerry 10 will flop like WebOS simply because it will have much greater availability and RIM has more cash in the bank to push it.
    Believe me, i pray to baby jesus you are right
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,540 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drew808 View Post
    E but will not wait until next summer for the N series
    It's amazing how quickly 'rumours' become misconstrued as 'facts'
    Thanked by:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (12-09-2012) 
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    It's amazing how quickly 'rumours' become misconstrued as 'facts'
    And thats why these people create these false articles. The facts can be corrected by someone like kevin but it will never reach every one that read the original article, leaving many to believe the lies without even knowing it.
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AE49F77

Th OP lives in the Waterloo area. I would hope there is a strong pocket of BB users there! I live in Alberta, Canada, so I still see a bunch of BBs, but more androids and iphones. As was said before, I hope people will be willing to fairly check out BB10 "for old times sake" and be wowed with what they see. Maybe that phrase can be used in advertising?
    Q 10 for the win!
    now on leak 10.3.0.1154 via Sachesi
    pebble watch
    Playbook 64 gb wifi retired
    Galaxy tab4 5.0 given to me free
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    13,126 Global Posts

Considering all of the let downs BBusers have experienced, its easy to understand why people have become disillusioned with RIM. Personally, I've seriously considered switching to the Samsung Galaxy SIII, however I have a feeling that is making me to wait until BB10 is released. Obviously, I have no notion of how good this new OS and new phones are going to actually be, but something tells me to wait and see. For some reason that defies all logic, I just have a feeling that BB10 is going to be worth the wait. Maybe I'm just guilty of wishful thinking, but I feel that I should just be a bit more patient. I can say this much with certainty though, speaking only for myself, RIM had better come through this time because my patience is not limitless.
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you."
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jakie55 View Post
    Th OP lives in the Waterloo area. I would hope there is a strong pocket of BB users there! I live in Alberta, Canada, so I still see a bunch of BBs, but more androids and iphones. As was said before, I hope people will be willing to fairly check out BB10 "for old times sake" and be wowed with what they see. Maybe that phrase can be used in advertising?
    I live in Bay Robert's, Newfoundland, Canada. and i see 60% blackberry, 20% android, 15% iPhone, and 5% feature phones(approximate), so it's not just in ontario.

I think part of it may be: people don't want to pay $70-90/mo for an android/iPhone, if you can get a BlackBerry free, on a 3yr contract of course, vs $50-200 on a 3 year, plus monthly fee iPhone/Android. also: i pay $40/mo after taxes(taxes here are 13%) for unlimited data, unlimited SMS/MMS CA/US, 300 mins, and unlimited calling to 5 numbers. the $70 plan gets you the sms/mms or unlimited 5 numbers, the minutes, and 1GB data, and for the $90 you get both sms/mms and unlimited 5, and 6GB data. i use over 2GB on a blackberry, so i'd probably go a bit over.
    Last edited by bmercer94; 12-11-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Z10 #BlackBerryByChoice
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
    Thanked by:
    sputneek (12-11-2012) 
    sputneek and bungaboy like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast