I am totally sick and tired of all the android talk on this forum. I can't believe how many people suggest running Android instead of BB10 on a BB handset or skin Android to emulate BB10. Get real. A BB handset running Android is not a BlackBerry, just another Android. If Google play is so important to you switch to Android. I don't mind that BB10 has the Android runtime as an added feature, but that's all it is...another feature. Crackberry is turning into Android Central and I for one am tired of the idiotic ideas and speculation that goes on here regarding BB10 and Android. And if you have not noticed, Chen keeps talking about software development, so it might suggest to you that more apps will be developed by BB for BB10 and then the only reason for Android runtime will be for games and fart apps... Thanks for allowing me to rant ...peace
    03-05-15 03:11 PM
    I understand your rant, but BlackBerry opened up the conversation by implementing the Android Runtime. So don't hate the game, hate the player.

And when Chen talks about software development, he's not talking about what you think he's talking about. Okay, I'll say it.....it's not apps. Just read the latest news and partnerships they've formed within the last year. Heck, within the last week.
    03-05-15 03:19 PM
    Running Android as well as running BlackBerry not intended of running BlackBerry. Or should I say BlackBerry OS as well as Android.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 03:22 PM
    I understand your rant, but BlackBerry opened up the conversation by implementing the Android Runtime. So don't hate the game, hate the player.
    No they didn't open up the conversation just because they added the Android runtime. Jolla Sailfish do the same (but Blackberry do it better) but there is no talk about that Jolla will start to make Android phones.

We can argue about if that was a good thing, because initially adding an Android runtime could hurt their native apps. Maybe they should have waited with it.

Also making some BB10 features available on other phones doesn't automatically mean they are going to abandon BB10. Microsoft Office is now available on Mac. Will Microsoft ditch Windows because of that?
    03-05-15 03:29 PM
    Someone clearly isn't isn't looking at all the announcements that have been taking place recently. People with knowledge aren't necessarily saying BlackBerry is switching to Android but if you don't think it's a possibility then you're just in denial

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 03:36 PM
    No they didn't open up the conversation just because they added the Android runtime. Jolla Sailfish do the same (but Blackberry do it better) but there is no talk about that Jolla will start to make Android phones.
    Obviously I was referring solely on the BBRY situation. Didn't think I had to specify considering this it CrackBerry. Really, we probably wouldn't be talking about this at all if BBRY didn't implement Android capabilities.

Also making some BB10 features available on other phones doesn't automatically mean they are going to abandon BB10. Microsoft Office is now available on Mac. Will Microsoft ditch Windows because of that?
    Who said that? I know I never said that they would ditch BB10.
    03-05-15 03:46 PM
    People with knowledge aren't necessarily saying BlackBerry is switching to Android but if you don't think it's a possibility then you're just in denial
    Boom
    Rello likes this.
    03-05-15 03:47 PM
    I am totally sick and tired of all the android talk on this forum. I can't believe how many people suggest running Android instead of BB10 on a BB handset or skin Android to emulate BB10. Get real. A BB handset running Android is not a BlackBerry, just another Android. If Google play is so important to you switch to Android. I don't mind that BB10 has the Android runtime as an added feature, but that's all it is...another feature. Crackberry is turning into Android Central and I for one am tired of the idiotic ideas and speculation that goes on here regarding BB10 and Android. And if you have not noticed, Chen keeps talking about software development, so it might suggest to you that more apps will be developed by BB for BB10 and then the only reason for Android runtime will be for games and fart apps... Thanks for allowing me to rant ...peace
    Agree 101%

Posted via CB10
    thymaster, Jrox74, Aybesea and 1 others like this.
    03-05-15 04:09 PM
    Me too. I hate all these Android solicitors coming on here suggesting or telling BB to switch to Android OS. It's annoying and feels like they are here to purposely troll the forums.

If I wanted an Android phone, which I don't because Android sucks period, then why would I choose an Android BlackBerry versus with producers like LG, HTC, Samsung, Huawei, Sony, OnePlusOne, ZTE, Asus and Motorola. All these manufacturers already made claim they produce way better hardware specs and cheaper then BlackBerry so why must all you Android lover come on her to pressure BlackBerry to make another Android phone. It's disgusting to see what you're all doing here.

I'm happy with BB10 and the hardware BlackBerry produces. They might not have fancy hardware specs but it's the complete package that BlackBerry puts out that makes them unique and loved by many other BlackBerry users.
    03-05-15 04:11 PM
    Personally I switched from iOS to BlackBerry simply because I was tired I iphonetoy and in no way wish to have android. I wanted. A good phone, a secure workhorse. I hope BlackBerry will never go android (although I need some of the apps, ty snap!)

Posted via the cutest little fantastic phone ever!
    03-05-15 04:16 PM
    eh, I blame lucas
    JeepBB and moosbb like this.
    03-05-15 04:47 PM
    eh, I blame lucas
    It's Sierra Nevada beer day on Untappd. I just sprayed my screen with Pale Ale!
    howarmat and GreenCopperz like this.
    03-05-15 05:13 PM
    It's ridiculous.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    03-05-15 05:20 PM
    Android is inefficient, ugly (to me), messy and is built to mine data.

I personally don't want it.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:26 PM
    The ups and downs on this forum make me dizzy. How about we let things play out (since we have no control over it anyways) before we jump out a window.

SQC100-4 Classic running 10.3.1.2267
    03-05-15 05:26 PM
    1. Many of us are long time BlackBerry users. Myself since 2009. BlackBerry was my first smartphone and I have owned them continuously since. I have no ill will towards BlackBerry. I just see them as having tried and mostly failed to meet goals of building their own platform complete with apps support. Time to try something else. That's what businesses do. They put survival above idealogy. Mostly.

2. As for BlackBerry doing apps themselves that is not practical beyond core messaging which they totally get and excel at. The Facebook app has been around for years and is still no where near the FB for Android app. I find it doubtful BlackBerry would have the resources to do a lot more apps and all of a sudden figure out how to make them as good as the first party releases by the services themselves.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:34 PM
    Amen!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:36 PM
    All you naysayers are funny.

Watch this happen and you'll be the first people to get the Android variant when it comes out.

You guys argued against the rumors of BBRY working with Samsung, working with Google, working with Foxxconn, releasing the Passport, releasing the Classic, going cross platform with BBM, putting their virtual KB and HUB on Android and iOS, etc etc etc.What are the results of those rumors? I think you know.

BBRY is running a business here, not a charity. It's about making money. A mid-level Android variant with Google Services will make them more money in a month than a high end slider device with BB10 would in 2-3.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-05-15 05:41 PM
    Agreed completely

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:44 PM
    It's only natural as a business or a "fan" of a certain brand to take a do or die stance against competitors as they win out. Find reasons to justify why they suck, and you/your brand can make a comeback.

Then after some time the realization of the new reality sets in. You adapt. Hopefully.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Batibreaker like this.
    03-05-15 05:54 PM

We can argue about if that was a good thing, because initially adding an Android runtime could hurt their native apps. Maybe they should have waited with it.

Do you actually go to Windows Phone or Jolla Sailfish forums? At least for Windows Phone, your points are unsubstantiated. There is tons of speculation with regards to the future of the OS in relation to Android, especially after Microsoft invested in Cyanogen.

Me too. I hate all these Android solicitors coming on here suggesting or telling BB to switch to Android OS. It's annoying and feels like they are here to purposely troll the forums.
    The Android rumor originates from N4BB, one of the first and foremost Blackberry fansites. Not only that, Blackberry has done many things to poise itself either for an Android transition or retirement of BB10 such as the crippling of native app development through its runtime and promotion of the Amazon appstore and multiplatforming all of BB10's software assets.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 03-05-15 at 06:58 PM.
    03-05-15 06:45 PM
    I have to agree with the OP. If you want an Android phone there are plenty of them available. I don't understand why anyone would be hoping or speculating that BlackBerry would adopt Android or make some hybrid device or something like that. It just seems to me they're at conflict with their loyalty to BlackBerry and with their love of Android.

Personally, I don't use Android or iPhone for reasons that go well beyond me liking BlackBerry. I do like BlackBerry, though. The way they do things, their security, their openness, their design aligns the closest with my own likings and beliefs. My biggest problem though is that all of this Android stuff takes away from that. I really don't want Android apps, I want native BlackBerry apps. I understand that the Android runtime affords me the ability to have apps that I otherwise couldn't but I find it nothing more than a crutch. I don't want a phone that's built around a clutch, I want a phone that uses a crutch as a last resort.

Unfortunately, regardless of this recent Android talk, I don't believe I will ever see that true BB10 native experience. The Amazon App store has killed any hope of that.

As a side, I can't think of a product that has been truly successful following this path. Can anyone think of any technology products that run other systems programs that haven't flopped in the end? You know, something along the lines of a Mac that runs PC programs...
    thymaster and Batibreaker like this.
    03-05-15 06:48 PM
    1 Simple don't read don't listen!
    - Don't just listen/read only to get sick.

2. "Always keep at open mind" (Jean-Claude Van Damme/Bloodsport accent), lol.

Quite simply Android 5 has come of mature age now ... with BES12 incorporting KNOX and further development to properly secure Android 5 - not to mention Google backed KNOX in every build; keeping it hush hush of course cause they don't probably get it is a very GOOD thing for BB users globally:

* Better device designs,
    * Better camera hw,
    * better screen sensors (good bye HUGE bezels which plagued avg user minimizing apps on Q10)
    * Better choice of a wide range of hardware - quite simply if partnered with Samsung's orders through Foxconn that means a LOT lower costs for us, not having HW re-released 2yrs later as a new device because it's .8" bigger screen at same 2010 resolution = ahem BB Leap.
    * No more HORRIBLE naming conventions which absolutely makes NO sense:
    Leap = doesn't really do much for software (it's already widely available now), HW 2013 parts bin (thanks but no thanks), design (really, really BB is this ALL you can do after the Passport/Classic?!), and retail price (it's like a SLAP in our faces, I'm sorry but it is what it is)!

I'm willing to get the Samsung S6 on BES12 with Enterprise Secure SECUSUITE runs faster on the BB UI (even if completely emulated) than on the Z30/Passport.

Oh wait did I mention:
    More apps - no more Google play store restrictions of hoops to jump through which are only hit and miss for the typical user,
    More features - wireless payments! No more fraud and no more payment restrictions due to BlackBerry's complacent infrastructure here in Canada which never really evolved the last 12mths.Less credit card fraud = lower monthly fees for the end user = you/me/he/she/them/they!

So again shidoshi sais "Keep an open mind" not "sweep the leg" (original Karate Kid).
    BB_Junky, JeepBB, walt63 and 3 others like this.
    03-05-15 07:07 PM
    All you naysayers are funny.

Watch this happen and you'll be the first people to get the Android variant when it comes out.

You guys argued against the rumors of BBRY working with Samsung, working with Google, working with Foxxconn, releasing the Passport, releasing the Classic, going cross platform with BBM, putting their virtual KB and HUB on Android and iOS, etc etc etc.What are the results of those rumors? I think you know.

BBRY is running a business here, not a charity. It's about making money. A mid-level Android variant with Google Services will make them more money in a month than a high end slider device with BB10 would in 2-3.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Who did? Have names?
    03-05-15 07:15 PM
    And if you have not noticed, Chen keeps talking about software development, so it might suggest to you that more apps will be developed by BB for BB10 and then the only reason for Android runtime will be for games and fart apps... Thanks for allowing me to rant ...peace
    How exactly do you propose that BB will develop and distribute all those apps (aside from games and fart apps), when they don't have the man-power, permissions and/or licences to access various service API's to support those apps, etc.. ? In case you missed it over the last couple/few years... BB tried (and failed miserably) to make it happen.

You're really over-reaching on Chen's "Software focus" statements. He's not looking to develop an ecosystem in house. His focus on software is simply utilizing what BB already has in software, and leveraging it cross platform. Don't try to make it sound like suddenly there is a development think-tank underground at BB preparing to pound out all the apps BB could ever need to create an ecosystem.

You do have one point that's pretty spot on though...

All the Android talk is hogwash. Despite Chen/BBRY consistently stating over and over and over again... few here can recognize that they are no longer in the consumer industry. No matter how much members of this forum desperately would like to see otherwise, that's the fact of the matter. Why go Android? That would be a move directed to get consumers on board. Which of course is not on the radar. All the Android rumors are basically just desperate consumers hoping against hope that something's being planned for them, despite the horse's mouth outright stating otherwise. Realistically, they need to let that idea go. BB is no longer in the consumer business.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 03-05-15 at 07:38 PM.
    03-05-15 07:20 PM
232 123 ...