So I had the thought of why BlackBerry should move to Intel SoCs. Since they've been using the same Snapdragon S4 Pro processor since 2013, I've assumed they probably can't afford to use new processors since Qualcomm probably charges a fee to develop drivers for BB10. (With the exception of the Passport.)

How about they use Intel processors? They've gotten quite nice recently. And I'm betting Intel is desperate to get more manufacturers in line.
    08-31-15 01:13 PM
    So I had the thought of why BlackBerry should move to Intel SoCs. Since they've been using the same Snapdragon S4 Pro processor since 2013, I've assumed they probably can't afford to use new processors since Qualcomm probably charges a fee to develop drivers for BB10. (With the exception of the Passport.)

How about they use Intel processors? They've gotten quite nice recently. And I'm betting Intel is desperate to get more manufacturers in line.
    Might depend on their new manufacturing partners... Wistron, Compal and Foxconn.

It's been speculated that maybe BlackBerry will not be "designing" the devices anymore... but giving these companies more room to create devices more economically. In other words leveraging their "buying" power as a manufacture, but that means BlackBerry has less control over the components being used.

If you are talking about BB10 hardware.... I guess it would depend on how many devices do you think a production run would be. 500K, 200K?

I think any chipset maker is going to have cost associated with custom drivers, and with BB10 sales and marketshare I don't think anyone is going to be making "deals" with BlackBerry.

It is strange how big companies like Microsoft and Intel.... weren't able to "scale down" to Mobile back all those years ago. Maybe they'll both do better this year.
    08-31-15 01:33 PM
    Due to the cost of a single unit, I guess that one million devices is far more than enough to cover whatever cost for drivers' development...

____BlackBerry 10 makes me stay___
    08-31-15 04:33 PM