With RIMs known focus and leadership in offering secure mobile communications to me they could create a great alternative to Facebook. Thoughts?
    03-26-12 04:19 AM
    No and why? Aren't there enough of those already.
    Mystic205 and daveycrocket like this.
    03-26-12 06:24 AM
    RIM already has a social communications platform (BBM) which sits at ~50 million users. This is less than 10% of what FB has. I do not believe RIM has the manpower or ability to create any serious competition to FB or Google+
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    03-26-12 06:35 AM
    With RIMs known focus and leadership in offering secure mobile communications to me they could create a great alternative to Facebook. Thoughts?
    How about just a decent FB App.....????????
    CeeXTwo likes this.
    03-26-12 06:46 AM
    They should tap into the current FB app, improve and integrate it with BBM. RIM's core business isn't social network platform.
    03-26-12 07:20 AM
    Mine is integrated in a way I suppose
    03-26-12 07:25 AM
    Nay, nay and thrice nay.

Primarily for this reason:
    RIM's core business isn't social network platform.
    Also, look at the way Google+ took off. Poorly, I would say. It would certainly be too hard to get people to join yet another social network at this point.
    03-26-12 07:34 AM
    How about just a decent FB App.....????????
    What's wrong with the FB application? It's the best integrated app across all platforms.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-26-12 08:58 AM
    Because I feel like it, I'll ask,

see link

Facebook Friends: Are You A Narcissist? - Yahoo! News UK
    03-26-12 09:15 AM
    They could just expand bbm, make it so it has a user profile. Competing directly against FB would be dumb, Google couldn't even do it.
    daikirai69 and jkomo001 like this.
    03-26-12 09:21 AM
    Absolutely not. Google can't even make a dent in facebook, even though facebook sucks. RIM wouldn't have a chance in he11 at sucess there.
    03-26-12 09:35 AM
    my thoughts ....... also NOPE!
    03-26-12 09:57 AM
    I agree with this entirely. In fact, IMO all the apps that RIM make themselves integrate with each other and the hardware better than on any other device I've ever used. With a new UI/Hardware coming in the future I will be taking another serious look at the blackberry simply because of how good their "native" apps have been in the past. If they were that good on OS5/6 imagine their potential in BB10.

OP: No... Google tried and haven't had too much luck so far. RIM have far more important areas to focus on.

What's wrong with the FB application? It's the best integrated app across all platforms.
    03-26-12 11:11 AM
    there's already a great alternative to facebook.

its called reality. i prefer it.
    scott.slater likes this.
    03-26-12 06:57 PM
    i think they are focusing on bigger things right now ...they wouldnt waste time even entertaining such an idea
    03-26-12 07:14 PM
    No they shouldn't, they have other, more important things to work on
    03-26-12 07:26 PM
    RIM already has a social communications platform (BBM) which sits at ~50 million users. This is less than 10% of what FB has. I do not believe RIM has the manpower or ability to create any serious competition to FB or Google+

Very Closed minded myfriend

I VERY much Think RIM could make a FaceBook Competitor,

Imagine RIM Making a FaceBook Competitor that is a Social network on an intranet of RIM's not indexed on the Internet, you aren't spidered by google, or yahoo, or BING, you don't get spam like crazy, and hacks are much more difficult.

RIM's Social network is just a page where you share pictures, and comment on them, you share your locations and trips, and status updates, and people send you messages, you don't play games, the groups you join are BBM groups, the items you share you share with BBM, it is simply about staying connected, and RIM is making their money through their service fees from Carriers, so they don't need to find ways to monetize the service like facebook did, and twitter is trying, or DATAMINE like Google is doing.
    scott.slater and mithrazor like this.
    03-26-12 08:00 PM
    no..there's enough of that kind of crap around already.
    Cozmik and daveycrocket like this.
    03-27-12 08:28 PM

Imagine RIM Making a FaceBook Competitor that is a Social network on an intranet of RIM's not indexed on the Internet, you aren't spidered by google, or yahoo, or BING, you don't get spam like crazy, and hacks are much more difficult.

RIM's Social network is just a page where you share pictures, and comment on them, you share your locations and trips, and status updates, and people send you messages, you don't play games, the groups you join are BBM groups, the items you share you share with BBM, it is simply about staying connected, and RIM is making their money through their service fees from Carriers, so they don't need to find ways to monetize the service like facebook did, and twitter is trying, or DATAMINE like Google is doing.
    I totally agree, and with all the bbm connected app that are coming out. I personally think that they have something in the making just waiting for bb10 to showoff.
    03-27-12 09:06 PM
    Thanks deRusett. That was kinda my thought process. I don't like FB or Google+ for your stated reason and just want an alternative, and RIM came to mind as a company that could do it. It doubt it would be hard for them to set something up if a couple of college kids from harvard did. And I like your description of what it could be like

"RIM's Social network is just a page where you share pictures, and comment on them, you share your locations and trips, and status updates, and people send you messages, you don't play games, the groups you join are BBM groups, the items you share you share with BBM"

The other options seem too invasive and over-done
    03-28-12 03:45 AM
    I think the market is already saturated.
    Barljo likes this.
    03-28-12 03:55 AM
    there's already a great alternative to facebook.

its called reality. i prefer it.
    This "reality" thing you speak of... I tried it for awhile; my take is that it's overrated, and is really only a haven for those who can't handle drugs...
    03-28-12 04:57 AM

Where this idea falls down is the whole interoperability thing... As much as I'd like to see the whole world using BlackBerry products, I'm not seeing it happen anytime soon.

I like the way BBM is being expanded, with BBM Music, the FB hooks, and other BBM-enabled apps. Trying to duplicate FB functionality may look feasible, but I don't think the market is there.
    03-28-12 05:03 AM
    Why don't we just add a farm to Blaq and be done with it.
    03-28-12 05:05 AM
    Where this idea falls down is the whole interoperability thing... As much as I'd like to see the whole world using BlackBerry products, I'm not seeing it happen anytime soon.

I like the way BBM is being expanded, with BBM Music, the FB hooks, and other BBM-enabled apps. Trying to duplicate FB functionality may look feasible, but I don't think the market is there.
    You don't need to Duplicate Facebook functionality to be a Facebook competitor

you need to offer a Social network that people will want to be a part of. you offer a social network for the sale of a social network, much like Facebook was in the beginning, the Platform would be about sharing and socializing with people you know, there wouldn't be equivalents to Facebook Marketing teams, and data mining, and changing privacy settings,

IF I was tasked at RIM for an internal Social network it would be build around the concept of multiple group networks within the platform, you'd have picture library's lists of things people would comment on, your status messages you wished to convey, calendars to share dates. Direct messages would just be BBM's, Games would be outside the network via BBM connected games, Music sharing would be done via BBM Music, it doesn't have to be a big graphical mess, all it has to be is a place to share your thoughts and pictures with friends, and to organize group events with friends.
    03-28-12 06:34 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD