Has anyone else been following the obama-blackberry drama? I feel sorry for him, having to give up his blackberry... You know somewhere in the back of his mind he is wishing he weren't president so he could keep his bb...

On a related note, did anyone see the story on CNN this morning on blackberry addiction... It was great, they actually used the term crackberry...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 08:55 PM
    Not to be a nazi but check out this thread on the matter
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/obam...-fight-132516/
    01-09-09 08:56 PM
    I apologize new here...

01-09-09 08:59 PM
    All good man, welcome!
    01-09-09 09:14 PM
    Obama won't give up his 'Berry---
    01-09-09 09:22 PM
    he should be allowed to keep it for personal, not government matters
    01-09-09 09:27 PM
    Unfortunately for President Elect Obama, there really won't be a choice. If I am his Chief of Staff taking a hammer to his bb is a priority. (Wow it actually hurt to write that!) President Clinton wrote two emails during his entire two terms and I don't believe President Bush has written any.

The problem being the President is always the President, there is no clocking out. Any emails are considered subject to official record keeping and even subpoena. Additionally not only his phone would have to be secure but also the phone or computer of whomever he is texting or emailing. The final issue is the GPS. The secret service is not about to let his berry have a GPS function to pinpoint his whereabouts and if deactivated, the berry loses a lot of functionality.
    01-09-09 09:42 PM
    That is indeed the issue... Isn't it a little interesting that the DoD uses blackberries tho?

Plus, aren't all GPS satalites owned by US entities? Or has that changed by now?

01-09-09 09:45 PM
    i think his BlackBerry needs to go their is just to much going on for him to have a phone that is not secure.
    01-09-09 10:05 PM
    If it is a matter of national security, then yes he should give it up. However, if not the bb what phone will he use? I thought the bb had top notch security?

01-09-09 11:07 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the issue is communication media itself... There is no 100% secure way for wireless communication... Or if there is, it doesn't involve commercial hardware... It is a bit ironic, but it seems that the most powerful man in the world is forced to forgo a bit of connectivity in order to maintain national security...

My question is where do these precautionary measures end? Is the VP allowed to have a BB? Secr of State? If the GPS is such a concern, then anyone who may be around the prez shouldn't have one, right?

And, would the prez be required to turn off cell during takeoff and landing on AF1?

01-09-09 11:14 PM
    I dont think the POTUS needs to be playing Brickbreaker in the bathroom. I really doubt he's gunna have much time to be chatting up Michelle or updating his Facebook.

claire
    01-10-09 12:55 AM
    He should get his girls BBs.
    01-10-09 01:42 AM

And, would the prez be required to turn off cell during takeoff and landing on AF1?

hahaha I thought this was funny
    01-10-09 02:04 AM
    I just think it's a high security risk. I mean, I know people in Washington and Obama himself wouldn't be stupid enough to be sending over-the-air e-mails that are that crucial and contain way too much info. But at the same time, I'm sure those in Washington e-mail important things. Now I know that if we say to take his Blackberry then we'd say to take it away from every politician. And then the argument would go even deeper. We'd probably start arguing whether they should be e-mailing eachother period. It's kind of a tough call.
    01-10-09 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD