we shouldn't be waiting like red-headed step children to get apps.

im getting more and more annoyed that everything is catered towards iOS and android. and im not talking only about individual developers, im talking like large companies who have apps for customers

it simply isn't fair. RIM is not THAT far removed from the mobile market, not yet anyway---

it's ridiculous how excited i get when an app for blackberry is released (and usually un-official) to give some of the same functionality that ios and android have probably had for over a year or more

what are some apps n things that you guys want for RIM that are not available yet?
    01-21-12 02:41 PM
    UBS mobile here in Switzerland dammit!

Skype OR google hangouts!

And more gamesssss!
    01-21-12 02:53 PM
    skype and google + yep!!
    01-21-12 03:45 PM
    I love my Blackberry 9790 and wouldn't trade it for anything else and I've used RIM phones for about 3 or 4 yrs now but I have to say it comes down to $ and users. In the North American market Android and iOS are more popular. Which = more users to buy and use apps. Developers are going to hit these platforms first then Blackberry. If they develop anything for bbos at all.
    I've heard its a pain to develop for the number of different devices and OS versions there are out there.
    I've heard the QNX based OS is going to change that. Together with the android player hopefully the lack of apps will be a thing of the past then.
    01-21-12 04:35 PM
    It is for the reason posted by the OP that I am currently trialing an Android device alongside my BB.

Far more apps than the BB and the email does a full sync so sent items are also sync'd if sent from the laptop I can see them on the android but IT DOESN'T SEEM TO PUSH

Next trial will be iPhone
    01-21-12 04:54 PM
    i want an iPhone with a keypad as nice as my Bold; forget apps, Apple is way behind...
    llllBULLSEYE and Mr_Ricky_66 like this.
    01-21-12 05:00 PM
    Red headed step child? Why not insult jewish or fat people too!

Tim.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    arickinreallife likes this.
    01-21-12 05:40 PM
    It is just something you have to expect with bb. They never were the first to get apps and since they are losing market share every quarter the developers aren't going to invest in a dying platform.
    01-21-12 05:44 PM
    i want an iPhone with a keypad as nice as my Bold; forget apps, Apple is way behind...

This made me blow milk out my nose. Nice.
    01-21-12 05:52 PM
    Just use an iTouch or Playbook for apps don't see the big deal.
    I love games and stuff, but I have none in my phone all delete actually.
    only apps I have is Chase so I can deposit my checks on the go,
    BBM music and Pandora.
    I guess I'm different I really only use my phone for pics,music,text and calls.
    have tons of apps on my Playbook
    01-21-12 06:13 PM
    These are the apps I wish I had on my 9900:

Google Earth
    iMDB
    Merriam Webster
    Google Translate
    Feedly
    Angry Birds
    01-21-12 08:59 PM
    a proper CIBC banking app and not just a link to their website would be nice.
    i just want the day to come when you see an app on TV or on a bus stop and at the bottom instead of it saying "available for iPhone and Android" they add in BlackBerry. thats all i want.
    kbz1960 and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-21-12 09:19 PM
    I honestly don't think it is happening soon. OS6/7 has very little app support and development as we speak. QNX, which is supposed to be RIM's future, has been out on the Playbook for almost a year and it has even less apps out.

IF BB10 is based on QNX, I don't see how this is going to help improve the ecosystem. I mean if QNX is supposed to be great, and I do see its strengths and merits, why is it getting very little attention from developers?

And let's face it. It seems that one of the primary reasons people are leaving RIM is precisely because of little app support. And it really seems that the ones who have stayed are folks who just use their phones to call and text and deal with truncated e-mail. They have no idea what they are missing.
    01-21-12 09:24 PM
    Just use an iTouch or Playbook for apps don't see the big deal.
    I love games and stuff, but I have none in my phone all delete actually.
    only apps I have is Chase so I can deposit my checks on the go,
    BBM music and Pandora.
    I guess I'm different I really only use my phone for pics,music,text and calls.
    have tons of apps on my Playbook
    If I'm paying 25$ or more for data, I want to actually utilize it.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    01-21-12 09:56 PM
    So I'm not utilizing my data by using Pandora
    and browsing the web?
    do I need to download some 20 apps I don't need on my
    phone to enjoy my data
    kbz1960 and Jean-luc_Picard like this.
    01-21-12 10:22 PM
    app gap stinks. bugs me too.

however, it will change with new apps being developed on bb10 with html5.
    01-21-12 10:28 PM
    Maybe if Google Analytics reported the Blackberry Browser as a Blackberry Device and not an iPhone than some of these companies would get off their xxxxx and make some apps for Blackberry.
    01-21-12 10:38 PM
    So I'm not utilizing my data by using Pandora
    and browsing the web?
    do I need to download some 20 apps I don't need on my
    phone to enjoy my data
    I wasn't saying it as if you're not enjoying your data. I don't have a million apps on my device, but I can understand why a lot of people are app hungry. I use hbo go, a few stock market apps and pandora. I feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck with a lot of the apps that are available on ios.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    01-21-12 10:52 PM
    i dont play ANY games on blackberry

im just saying, like at a certain point, if developers arent making stuff for BB then RIM needs to step up and take some action

like it'd be nice to have native apps for blackberry instead of having to use a mobile site

it just gets annoying thats all
    01-22-12 05:04 AM

Tim.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    He could have insulted any number of people. Why did you fixate upon Jewish and fat people only??
    You don't like Jewish and Fat people??
    01-22-12 05:31 AM

Tim.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    Because gingers have no souls.

Hadn't you heard?
    llllBULLSEYE and Rickroller like this.
    01-22-12 07:10 AM
    I honestly don't think it is happening soon. OS6/7 has very little app support and development as we speak. QNX, which is supposed to be RIM's future, has been out on the Playbook for almost a year and it has even less apps out.

IF BB10 is based on QNX, I don't see how this is going to help improve the ecosystem. I mean if QNX is supposed to be great, and I do see its strengths and merits, why is it getting very little attention from developers?

And let's face it. It seems that one of the primary reasons people are leaving RIM is precisely because of little app support. And it really seems that the ones who have stayed are folks who just use their phones to call and text and deal with truncated e-mail. They have no idea what they are missing.
    I'm not sure there is very little development for the playbook. Maybe because skype, netflix and hulu haven't made apps yet? All of the apps that are available for the playbook will work on the phones when they come out.

I guess if you have tried something and don't need or care for it you aren't missing anything.
    01-22-12 07:20 AM
    You have a point. Ive only used a Playbook once at a store months ago and peeked at their app world.

Would you know if they have the following apps? I have a 9900 that is acting up and am thinking of ditching altogether but Im actually in the market for a tablet so maybe the Playbook is something to consider:

Pulse
    Feedly
    CNN
    Angry Birds
    Yahoo Messenger
    Google Maps or equivalent
    Google Earth
    Docs 2 Go
    Twitter
    World Mate
    Dropbox (i dont like Box)
    Foursquare
    Kindle
    Marvel Comics
    Word Press
    Instagram
    Wikitude

Would appreciate your help :-)
    01-22-12 07:45 AM
    Because gingers have no souls.

Hadn't you heard?
    Oi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    01-22-12 07:45 AM
    I'm not sure there is very little development for the playbook. Maybe because skype, netflix and hulu haven't made apps yet? All of the apps that are available for the playbook will work on the phones when they come out.

I guess if you have tried something and don't need or care for it you aren't missing anything.
    ^^^^THIS +1000.
    I've got an Atrix and so therefore I could theoretically download one hundred billion apps since they're available on the Android Market. Interestingly, there is only one app that I wish there were on a BB that is on my Atrix. So I can actually say that I know what's out there in the Android Market, I don't want it, I don't need it, I don't use it....except for the one app. So I'm not missing anything....save one app.
    And that one.....I just get around it by using my browser. Really, my world doesn't end because I haven't got Angry Birds.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-22-12 07:51 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD