Hello,

Looking at switching from my Nexus 4 to the Q10 because it seems that you're now able to run android apps on bb and I want the physical keyboard.

Are there any disadvantages to switching? Ie. Are the apps actually working? Will I be able to use any android app?

Also curious about anyone else's experience switching from android.
    Last edited by squadz; 06-13-13 at 09:35 PM.
    06-13-13 08:25 PM
    While I didn't switch directly from Android to BB10, I did have an Android phone (Droid Razr). And I like my Z10 MUCH better. I know the Z10 obviously isn't the Q10, but it is the same idea. You can pretty much get any Android app to work and sideloading is pretty easy. All the Android apps that I need work. So if I were you, I would make the switch.
    06-13-13 08:30 PM
    If you want Android apps, it is probably best to just keep the Nexus 4. If you really, really want the keyboard of the Q10 and the apps of Android - do what I do and carry more than one phone.

My main phone is the Nexus 4, but I also have a LEZ10, Dev Alpha C, Lumia 521, and now a Q10. All of the phones I listed work great on nothing but WiFi, including the BlackBerry 10 devices. The Nexus 4's native mobile hotspot feature feeds my other phones when needed and it works great for me.

I don't know what your personal situation is like, but I certainly wouldn't leave the Nexus and go to nothing but the Q10. It would be too much of a downgrade in my opinion. The Nexus has the Q10 beat in every single applicable category except storage and it's off contract price is nearly half of the Q10's.

If apps are all you're concerned with, I personally don't feel that sideloading is a option worth pursuing. I used to go to the trouble of converting and sideloading apps, but I honestly got tired of dealing with it. If you use leaked OS updates on BlackBerry 10, you have to re-sideload the Android apps after every update. And US carriers have been really slow about pushing updates, making the leaks a great option. The whole process really became more trouble than it was worth, and I just don't deal with it any more. I ended up spending a lot of time jumping through hoops to use apps that in most cases don't function as well as they should, or not at all.

If you do decide to make the switch, I recommend at least hanging on to the Nexus until you've had the opportunity to use the Q10 for a few weeks. Good luck

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    06-14-13 01:12 AM
    If you want Android apps, it is probably best to just keep the Nexus 4. If you really, really want the keyboard of the Q10 and the apps of Android - do what I do and carry more than one phone.

My main phone is the Nexus 4, but I also have a LEZ10, Dev Alpha C, Lumia 521, and now a Q10. All of the phones I listed work great on nothing but WiFi, including the BlackBerry 10 devices. The Nexus 4's native mobile hotspot feature feeds my other phones when needed and it works great for me.

I don't know what your personal situation is like, but I certainly wouldn't leave the Nexus and go to nothing but the Q10. It would be too much of a downgrade in my opinion. The Nexus has the Q10 beat in every single applicable category except storage and it's off contract price is nearly half of the Q10's.

If apps are all you're concerned with, I personally don't feel that sideloading is a option worth pursuing. I used to go to the trouble of converting and sideloading apps, but I honestly got tired of dealing with it. If you use leaked OS updates on BlackBerry 10, you have to re-sideload the Android apps after every update. And US carriers have been really slow about pushing updates, making the leaks a great option. The whole process really became more trouble than it was worth, and I just don't deal with it any more. I ended up spending a lot of time jumping through hoops to use apps that in most cases don't function as well as they should, or not at all.

If you do decide to make the switch, I recommend at least hanging on to the Nexus until you've had the opportunity to use the Q10 for a few weeks. Good luck

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    Thank you, that was a great and informative post.

It's a hard decision as I used to have a Blackberry and loved having a keyboard, I still miss it, but the nexus has served me great so far.

It's going to boil down to how well the apps convert to bb, and if they remove the 30 day debug token. From what I understand, 10.2 will allow 4.2 apps and not having to redo them everyday 30 days, which covers everything for me.

I don't use many apps, so it's not a huge deal, but having that capability is much better.

Undecided...
    06-14-13 05:54 AM