Long long time BlackBerry user here.

Really thought I'd never come to the day when I'd be thinking of leaving my precious bb.

I need the help of my fellow bb elite to stop me from deflecting.

I have many reasons to go and now what seems like just one reason to stay. I fear that reason is nostalgia. A love for the days of when we were the elite. Before the one week bb implosion of 2010 (I forget which year it actually happened now when all systems went down and lazaridis had to address the world during the no BBM pandemic), before the iPhone, heck before the botched launch of bb10. Before a 1 billion write down in unsold stock. Too many things have gone wrong. The once king of communications has become the court jester.

I hate saying all this and wish this wasn't the case. If I didn't care I would've bought an iPhone already. But I'm holding on. I want things to turn around.

I shouldn't feel bad for wanting apps on my phone. I feel like bb has given up the fight in standing up for the once loyal youth segment it commanded through BBM. BlackBerry was a essential tool not just in the pockets of businessmen but kids (of which I was one) and now we've grown up to see BlackBerry desert us. I actually heard a friend of mine say the other day

"I remember buying a BlackBerry just so I could have a BBM pin"

Such was the power of BlackBerry.

What happened?? I completely completely agree that a phone should not be purely for playing games and don't play games at all myself. My question about the app debate is not about games. It's about banking apps, it's about sonos, it's about Spotify, Netflix, nike+....apps which are more than just apps, they are essential parts of our lives. (android apps are not a solution. It needs to be native. Why pay premium for a phone and get a half baked experience)

I feel BlackBerry has changed tracks and people like me are not the end user they are targeting. This makes me feel like I should not care as much as I do. It's almost as if they are saying it's fine for me to go. Maybe it is. Maybe this is what BlackBerry needs to do right now to stay afloat. Maybe someday in the future bb will change focus once more and the stars will realign. It's clear that the direction has shifted so radically to enterprise because tasks like multi platform BBM video or pushing for a greater app ecosystem just don't appear to be on the agenda anymore.

And that's fine. I wish I was a top end businessman who needed to view excel spreadsheets or check stocks or had 20 emails to reply to per minute. But I'm not. I am in fact a doctor. And unfortunately the x-ray viewing potential they are exploring in the passport is a no go for most medics as it totally disregards patient confidentiality and actually isn't that useful.

I sincerely hope that something changes to pacify these thoughts or someone can come up with something to change my mind. But I guess the current blackberry business plan, might just be the fork in the road that takes me away from BlackBerry for a while

Posted via CB10
    nico2004, z10Jobe and NYTOC83 like this.
    10-20-14 05:00 PM
    I'm not. I am in fact a doctor. And unfortunately the x-ray viewing potential they are exploring in the passport is a no go for most medics as it totally disregards patient confidentiality and actually isn't that useful.
    I find the quote very surprising. Since BlackBerry is investing lots of marketing on it.

I think some day, not too far from today. All phones will be able to run android apps smoothly.

I think bb10 is way ahead on achieving that.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 05:33 PM
    No hard feelings jus move on to what suites your needs.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 05:37 PM
    Android apps feel native on 10.3.1

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 05:41 PM
    And what do you want BlackBerry to do to get these native apps? Netflix publicly stated they didn't want to make an app for BBW because " BlackBerry devices are not media consumption devices" or some stupid statement of the sort. When you have this kind of ignorance from these first party app developers you should realize that it's completely their fault and not BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Omahahaha likes this.
    10-20-14 05:44 PM
    OP, you didnt' really identify what you've liked about BB all these years or why you would leave....other than....apps I guess.

I disagree with the "essential part of our lives" comment. You should have said "your life".

As far as pushing for a greater app "eco-system".....they opened the phone to another OS's apps for god's sake. What more do you want them to do? Pay each and every app maker (thousands of them) 10k each just to make a BB version?

In the end, do what works for you. If you want a great keyboard and communications experience, you're home. If you need more native apps....I guess it's time to move on.
    acovey and spikesolie like this.
    10-20-14 05:49 PM
    Android apps feel native on 10.3.1

Posted via CB10
    I don't have 10.3.1. Did they remove the ridiculous bar at the bottom with the back arrow that takes up a huge amount of space (especially on a Q10.)?
    10-20-14 05:51 PM
    And what do you want BlackBerry to do to get these native apps? Netflix publicly stated they didn't want to make an app for BBW because " BlackBerry devices are not media consumption devices" or some stupid statement of the sort. When you have this kind of ignorance from these first party app developers you should realize that it's completely their fault and not BlackBerry.
    Of course, it's not BB's fault, when Mike and Jim were saying "no one wants to watch movies on their phone" for years after it became not only possible, but routine. BB came up with the "Tools, Not Toys" campaign.

Apple and Google welcomed Netflix with open arms while BB shunned them... until they changed their mind and decided they needed them. Was Netflix to suddenly run into BB's arms?

Folks here have very long memories about the tiniest slight to BB, but are quick to forget BB's much bigger slights to other companies.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-20-14 05:58 PM
    I don't have 10.3.1. Did they remove the ridiculous bar at the bottom with the back arrow that takes up a huge amount of space (especially on a Q10.)?
    Are you serious?!? You can hide it from 10.2 man! Just swipe from the top..
    10-20-14 06:05 PM
    You just hide it.

The option to hide it is in 10.2 and 10.3.

OP, get whatever phone you like. Seriously.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 06:09 PM

I think some day, not too far from today. All phones will be able to run android apps smoothly.

I think bb10 is way ahead on achieving that.

Posted via CB10
    Not really, BlackBerry is still behind Jolla Sailfish OS when it comes to running Android apps. Sailfish users can get Android applications directly from Google Play as if they were using any other Android device. Sailfish OS is Android compatible and has Google services, something BB10 could probably do, but I think BlackBerry is to afraid to allow. Actually, BlackBerry only started allowing BB10 to run Android Apk files months after Jolla allowed it on Sailfish OS. If it weren't for Jolla, BB10 would probably still be running only converted Bar files right now. Maybe BlackBerry will follow Jolla's lead again and allow Google Services someday though.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    10-20-14 06:15 PM
    Are you serious?!? You can hide it from 10.2 man! Just swipe from the top..
    Cool, thanks.
    10-20-14 06:16 PM
    Medical Doctor?
    10-20-14 06:21 PM
    And that's fine. I wish I was a top end businessman who needed to view excel spreadsheets or check stocks or had 20 emails to reply to per minute. But I'm not. I am in fact a doctor. And unfortunately the x-ray viewing potential they are exploring in the passport is a no go for most medics as it totally disregards patient confidentiality and actually isn't that useful. Posted via CB10
    If you are a doctor, how do you view x-rays. Do you login to a secure PC and view them? Or do you have them in a folder (insecure) and view them on a light panel? As a doctor, I am sure you don't have an IT understanding how using Passport and BES with Balance is as secure as viewing them on a PC and more secure than using the physical x-ray.

So to say that a Passport isn't useful as a medical device is just a function of lack of knowledge. That is fine as I have no clue how to set a broken bone or do stitches, but 25 years in IT, I know that the Passport would be a great device for a doctor and will be secure with the proper IT infrastructure.
    10-20-14 06:26 PM
    One of these threads again??? Gotta be one of the most, if not the most, played out thread subjects. If u need a bunch of people who u don't even know to convince you to keep using a device, you probably need to move on....and that's ok. It's your choice. Do what makes you happy

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 06:34 PM
    You could always remove that. Swipe from top to hide it.

Posted via CB10
    Not really, BlackBerry is still behind Jolla Sailfish OS when it comes to running Android apps. Sailfish users can get Android applications directly from Google Play as if they were using any other Android device. Sailfish OS is Android compatible and has Google services, something BB10 could probably do, but I think BlackBerry is to afraid to allow. Actually, BlackBerry only started allowing BB10 to run Android Apk files months after Jolla allowed it on Sailfish OS. If it weren't for Jolla, BB10 would probably still be running only converted Bar files right now. Maybe BlackBerry will follow Jolla's lead again and allow Google Services someday though.
    I would love to see a link for Sailfish IS that it officially comes with Google services.
    Jeez the apps apps apps excuse has gotton really lame. Get a droid or an iPhone if your life depends on apps. But don't think for a minute that other people's lives also depend on having them. Just saying.

Posted from my Blackberry Z3
    Omahahaha likes this.
    10-20-14 06:35 PM
    Of course, it's not BB's fault, when Mike and Jim were saying "no one wants to watch movies on their phone" for years after it became not only possible, but routine. BB came up with the "Tools, Not Toys" campaign.

Apple and Google welcomed Netflix with open arms while BB shunned them... until they changed their mind and decided they needed them. Was Netflix to suddenly run into BB's arms?

Folks here have very long memories about the tiniest slight to BB, but are quick to forget BB's much bigger slights to other companies.
    I'm not talking about that far back... I'm talking about the BlackBerry 10 campaign prior to launch. They had many apps lined up and some companies backed off. I also don't recall Netflix being popular that far back.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 06:36 PM
    What a conundrum
    shaleem likes this.
    10-20-14 06:39 PM
    I'm a medical student in training, and I fail to see OP's reasoning on how BB10 is a bad platform and insecure for viewing images
    It is just as competent as other OSes IF NOT more secure
    anon(5769508) and spikesolie like this.
    10-20-14 06:39 PM
    Apps?...man is that it?.BlackBerry has an amazing OS, security, speed, quality audio, and beautiful smart phones.

From my ? phone
    Omahahaha likes this.
    10-20-14 06:42 PM
    In keeping with the OP title...

Why don't you stay, just a little bit longer?
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    10-20-14 07:02 PM
    Before a 1 billion write down in unsold stock. Too many things have gone wrong. The once king of communications has become the court jester.
    A) The 1 billion of inventory write down had no effect on the way my Z10 works. If anything, it only drove prices down, so I happily bought Z10s for my whole family.
    B) BB is still communications king. Try attaching files to an email on an iPhone. That is the "premium price/halfbaked experience" right there.

If you feel you want to try something else, then just do it. You don�t need to ask the tribe here for permission. But apparently, you hesitate to leave coz you are not sure other platforms would actually be better.

PS: I love the "ecosystem" mantra = thousands of dead apps never downloaded from app stores.
    10-20-14 07:22 PM
    I hear beavis and ****-head laughing in the background.

Posted from my Z10 via CB
    10-20-14 07:35 PM
72 123