I've had my 8830 for about 4 or 5 months now and have started to have trackball problems. Sprint has offered to replace the phone at no charge with a refurb 8830. Should I settle for a refurb or do I have grounds to demand a brand new phone?
    04-29-09 08:46 AM
    I wouldn't accept a refurb if I were you! It might have a problem within itself and they're probably just trying to pawn it off on some poor sap (you) just to get rid of it. Demand a new model! It's what I would do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 08:49 AM
    By the way, what trackball problems are you experiencing? We might be able to help you fix it.

04-29-09 08:50 AM
    probably just needs to clean the trackball or get a new one. trackballs are usually never a reason to get a new/refurb bb.
    04-29-09 08:52 AM
    i've received a refurb replacement and had no problems with the replacement.

i'm not sure with sprint, but with verizon, they replace the housing so it looks new.

oh and i've heard verizon sometimes sends you a new one if that's what they have available. but i can't speak for sprint, sorry.
    04-29-09 09:05 AM
    My problem is that the trackball sometimes won't scroll in a certain direction. When it starts doing this, the feel of it when you roll it changes too.

Maybe I'll swing down there and take a look at it and see what the refurb looks like.
    04-29-09 09:28 AM
    Refurb's go through strict testing IMO. You won't be able to notice anything visually wrong with a refurb. If so you are really good.

Sound to me like a trackball problem....
    04-29-09 09:31 AM
    Well that just means you need a new trackball or just simply clean your current one. If you want to buy a new one, go to eBay or try Cellular Accessories - Nokia, Acer, BlackBerry, Motorola, LG, Microsoft, Samsung, SonyEricsson, BenQ-Si

If you want to clean it, look at this link. It'll guide you through the process of removing and cleaning it: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...rackball-3243/

04-29-09 09:33 AM
    I've had my 8830 for about 4 or 5 months now and have started to have trackball problems. Sprint has offered to replace the phone at no charge with a refurb 8830. Should I settle for a refurb or do I have grounds to demand a brand new phone?
    After 30 days you don't have much choice. But I would advise just cleaning your trackball. That is really all it needs.
    04-29-09 09:34 AM
    whats the major difference between a refurbished unit and a Brandnew one?
    04-29-09 11:10 AM
    Try just cleaning the trackball first. Most times that resolves it all.

As for the replacement, you take what you get. I've never had an issue with a refurb, and unless they happen to have new models in stock for warranty purposes that's what you'll get. There's no demanding about it. It's in the agreement terms you signed with service. Again though, they get fully recertified for operation before they're inventoried for that purpose.
    04-29-09 11:12 AM
    Refurb's go through strict testing IMO. You won't be able to notice anything visually wrong with a refurb. If so you are really good.
    Exactly. Plus there is no way you're going to get a brand new phone after 5 months. It's a build issue, which is a warranty issue. If the refurb isn't up to par, you still have 7 months of warranty left.
    04-29-09 12:38 PM
    If you're uncomfortable taking out your trackball yourself, the tech at the store could do it for you & should not charge you anything for it. Idk about sprint but verizon has done it for me.

04-29-09 01:00 PM
    You should be able to check the Sprint site for the store locator. It'll show stores in the area that do repairs. Those are the ones with technicians. They should be able to do a regular trackball cleaning.
    04-29-09 01:11 PM
    I am with Alltel and got a refurb curve 8330 back in March. I haven't had any trouble with my curve!!

04-29-09 01:42 PM
    I am with Tmobile and my refurb is on the way. Ill let you know how it works when I get it.
    04-29-09 05:05 PM
    My problem is that the trackball sometimes won't scroll in a certain direction. When it starts doing this, the feel of it when you roll it changes too.

Maybe I'll swing down there and take a look at it and see what the refurb looks like.
    Everyone I know that has had this problem, Sprint techs have declared the phone broke and it was replaced with a refurb.

As far as seeing what the refurb looks like, it looks like your current phone. It's not as if you're going to go to the store and they're sitting on display marked refurb or anything like that.
    04-29-09 05:20 PM
    There's nothing wrong with refurbs. Actually, they can be better than new, because any physical defect has been fixed before it's back on the market.

I for one will definately get a refurb Mac as my replacement for the current Macbook.
    04-29-09 08:06 PM
    You can get a refurb but it really sounds like a general trackball cleaning is all it needs. I cleaned by 8100 trackball about once a week. Pocket lint.

04-29-09 08:31 PM
    whats the major difference between a refurbished unit and a Brandnew one?
    Refurb - used that was repaired and tested, certified like-new
    new - brand new out of box never been used
    04-29-09 08:37 PM
    I used compressed air to clean out my trackball and sometimes, even just cloth works too. My trackball will get slippery if I have eaten something greasy or had lotion on my hands.

I really don't think this issue would warrant a replacement at all, unless you're having other issues.
    04-29-09 08:44 PM
    I just received a refurbed ATT 8310. Works great. No problems. I agree they are thoroughly tested before releasing them. You shouldn't have a problem. Good luck.

04-29-09 09:02 PM
    Okay I got my refurb in. Its nice with no scratches or wiggly keyboard! So check this.....I got the refurb and went to update the OS and it would never take and i was like WTF?! Turns out tmobile had already upgraded the OS! Pretty kick azz I though! Over all its perfect!

05-03-09 12:29 PM
    Okay I got my refurb in. Its nice with no scratches or wiggly keyboard! So check this.....I got the refurb and went to update the OS and it would never take and i was like WTF?! Turns out tmobile had already upgraded the OS! Pretty kick azz I though! Over all its perfect!

Yup they go through strict testing and whatever problem it might of had is fixed right away. I got my refurb Bold a week ago since I was having a button problem on my original, and the build quality on this is MUCH better than my original.
    05-03-09 12:34 PM
    I don't know why people insist that refurbs are thoroughly tested when plenty of people have rec'd refurbs with all the previous owners information; meaning nothing was ever done to it before it was shipped right back out the door.
    05-03-09 12:54 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD